2019–2020 R&M Homage : Riders' Impressions

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
I also have a 2018 Homage Rohloff HS that my wife rides. This bike offered a suspension upgrade using Fox components. That was good decision as the Fox suspension is noticeably superior, providing a much more dialed in ride and a remote two stage lockout for the rear shock. That option was available in the Delight as well and still is for the new Delight. There is no good reason it should not be still available for the Homage.

If the Homage still had the Fox upgrade option I would be mighty tempted, particularly as I get older, as it is such a comfortable riding position.

48 teeth is the equivalent of 19.5 in a Bosch with it's 2.5 reduction. Too much top end and not enough bottom in the hilly area in which I live. The last two blocks at the end of every ride, coming home are 17% grade. 44x46 is just low enough to make it in Turbo

Last edited:
I am sorry for asking imprecise question before.
You wrote 44 x 11. I was thinking low gear was something like (in my case) 48x46.
My error. I meant 44x46 is the lowest gear on my Delight, just low enough to make that final 17% climb home. It's the 44x11 equivalent that takes advantage of the lack of speed restriction on e-assist.

I’d like to add my voice to the general praise for the 2019 R&M Homage. Mine is the CX with Rohloff. My bike arrived at the end of July and I started serious use in August. So far it has given me 3600 miles of problem free riding. I ride recreationally on very hilly “back” roads of rough pavement, gravel, rock and just plain dirt. The Homage has performed admirably. I love the suspension and help on the hills! The bike feels solid, safe and comfortable in all situations. I can ride for hours without fatigue or pain. The only maintenance needed so far were front brake pads and an oil change for the Rohloff.

I have the standard Intuvia display which I like (thank you @David Berry) augmented by a handlebar mounted cellphone for navigation, heart rate and cadence. I plug the phone into the Intivia to maintain its charge on long rides.

I agree with the criticism of the paint job. To get so many things right but fail when it comes to applying paint is absurd. It’s a small detail but visible and makes one wonder what happened.

Despite the paint imperfections I’m very happy with the bike. It’s perfect for me and the type of riding I do. The review by @davidberry and detailed commentary by @Alaskan were instrumental in my choice. Thank you.

I agree with the criticism of the paint job. To get so many things right but fail when it comes to applying paint is absurd. It’s a small detail but visible and makes one wonder what happened.
I can live with the problems or avoid them altogether (different tyres; attach trunk bag with velcro straps; use a smartphone app to record trip data) but it is a pity that the negatives are there.

I think it's time to start a 2021 Homage wishlist with Gen4 motor at the top!

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. More durable paint job with clear coat and a small bottle of touch up paint that comes with the bike
  2. Make available the Fox upgrade front and rear with remote lockout for rear shock
  3. Adjustable angle Ergotech stem
  4. Schwalbe Hurricane tires with Tannus Armour (See my review from earlier today)
  5. Go back to Racktime on rear rack (accommodates all Ortlieb bags)
  6. Add dropped pannier rail to either side of the rack so that a trunk bag can be used with panniers
  7. Aluminum alloy fenders - plastic is just way too flimsy. My rear fender shattered in two from vibration at 70mph sitting on the rear car rack (replaced under warranty)

I reserve the right to add to this list.

1. More durable paint job with clear coat and a small bottle of touch up paint that comes with the bike
  2. Make available the Fox upgrade front and rear with remote lockout for rear shock
  3. Adjustable angle Ergotech stem
  4. Schwalbe Hurricane tires with Tannus Armour (See my review from earlier today)
  5. Go back to Racktime on rear rack (accommodates all Ortlieb bags)
  6. Add dropped pannier rail to either side of the rack so that a trunk bag can be used with panniers
  7. Aluminum alloy fenders - plastic is just way too flimsy. My rear fender shattered in two from vibration at 70mph sitting on the rear car rack (replaced under warranty)

I reserve the right to add to this list.
1,2 3 - Definitely.
4 - Individual, i never got to try the R&M Rock Razors but in hind sight i'd probably like them, many US customers apparently are hooked on the SuperMotoX's (I don't know why) and many other people prefer tubeless so Tannus Armour would be wasted.
5,6 - Definitely.
7 - Individual, not all of us carry it on the back of a car at 70mph or on an Autobahn at 160+km/h, i don't mind the plastic Blumels.

8 - Rohloff with Smartphone Hub? I think you're a big fan of Nyon but it's not really sold or supported.

7EC6AE4D-2A88-42BE-8E49-6A0832A1105A.jpeg

just sharing a pic :)

Back