2018 Haibike Urban Plus with Tranzx Motor

Knighterrant

I am new to the ebike community, and I just recently purchased the subject bike. The bike looks great, and it seemed to be a good value. It also seems to handle long distances even with higher assistance - recently rode 35 miles with elevations changes utilizing all levels of assist and I probably had another 10 miles of battery life remaining. Shifting is crisp, and the brakes are excellent. Overall riding position seems good, and I can ride it without assist relatively easily given the bike’s weight - I wouldn’t want to test this going up any real incline.

Since this is my first ebike, I am uncertain if various conditions are normal for this bike with the Tranzx motor, or if I need to have some adjustments made (if adjustments are even possible). I had to order my bike online, and there aren’t any good ebike shops in my area. I am hoping someone on this forum has experience with the bike or the motor.

Here are some of my questions:

I don’t notice much difference between assist level 3 and 4 (turbo). I would think there would be a noticeable change. Have others experienced this?

I need to be peddling at pretty good rpms to feel the full assistance of the motor. So if I upshift, it takes a second or two for me to regain rpms before I again feel full motor assist. Have others experienced this?

The above issue is very noticeable when transitioning up hills. So if you don’t manage your gearing and assist level in advance of hitting the hill, the assist is really impacted because your peddling rpm slows down when you start going up hill. If you wait until that point to downshift it takes real effort to once again feel the motor assist. Is this typical?

I know there are several issues reported with the Cobi interface. My experience has been OK - I use an IPhone 6. Some of the features aren’t really beneficial like contacts and music. I can convert the display from metric to standard so visually it is fine. However, the voice interface still references km when alerting me - instead of saying remaining distance is 20 miles, it will say 20 kilometers. App and firmware are up to date. Anyone had this issue and know how to fix?

Thanks all for the feedback!

Update 6/22/18 - I believe I have resolved the motor assist issue I was experienced. I think it relates to the shift detection feature. Typically when I shift gears, I do not stop peddling. This action seems to impact the motor. If you pause peddling for a second when shifting gears, the motor will react better - you will feel a slight click in the motor indicating it has detected the shift. The motor reacts fine after that click when you resume peddling.

Last edited:
I can feel the difference in Level 3 and 4. Try taller gears to feel the additional torque.

I agree that the motor's power output is very RPM dependent. When I am in the tallest gear at the traffic light, it takes a bit to get started, but perhaps it is a safety feature so people don't lose control on the sudden acceleration. I have another Bosch bike, which I think is much quieter. I will take note on how each motor respond.

I have the same issue - COBI will display the correct range in miles but announces in KM. It'll probably be fixed in the future.

Back