2016 kalkhoff/Focus

Unable or unwilling to understand the potential of ebikes! There are two shops 25 miles from me, Trek and Specialized, neither sell ebikes. Last year at this time I was shopping for an ebike and couldn't even see one. "Pay upfront and we'll get one."
I'm not sure either adjective is correct. The adoption curve is so small in North America that the financial risk is larger than tolerable. The folks on this forum are bleeding edge adopters and not representative of the populace at large. If I put my business hat on I would probably tell you the same thing (pay me and I'll order one) that these dealers expressed. The utter lack of demand and the inability of vendors to generate sufficient product awareness requires a different sales strategy. E-bikes need to be taken to the people which is why direct corporate selling is imperative. I've talked to most e-bike vendors and they are so deathly afraid of upsetting the retail channel that they are reticent to try a new marketing strategy.

In the early days of high tech, I told my worldwide retailers that we were selling directly to the consumer. This upset the 2-step distribution channel dramatically. An odd thing happened, so many damn people bought the product direct from us that the brand awareness spiked and millions of consumers poured into retail demanding to see the product. Forward 25 years and it is now standard that almost every tech vendor sells product directly to the consumer and yet the retail channels continued to flourish. Apple announced it was opening its own retail stores and the channel was so upset that their (meaning independent retailers) business with Apple went up over 40%.

A new premium ebike is the perfect way to transport your cardboard sign to the main street intersection and back to the shelter again!
Well, in truth I have fallen on very hard times and do beg for money occasionally. I am not very proud of this and wish it were not so. The good news is that I do my solicitation at the Stanford Mall in Palo Alto and typically clear $1200-$1500 a day.

Apparently these new 2016 Kalkhoffs have an Impulse Evo drive, which is an evolution to the Impulse 2.0. Must say I'm kind of tempted.
Tough to glean detail. Only thing I can see is that torque is up 10nm. Probably the biggest updates are an integrated battery in the downtube, navigation add to display, and new paint scheme. I am sure the controller has had some updates as well as the motor.

I like the look of that, hope to see it easily available in the US like other well known brands.
My LBS was visited by the head of Focus US and the Director of Kalkhoff....definitely coming in Sept/Oct.

Similar system as in my old Shimano 7-speed, but this one seemed easier to do the backward rotation of the changer because there was small handle for pushing. Mine doesnt have anything to hold from and I used to take out the tube from the other without detaching the gear changer cable because the reassembly was so nasty.

Last edited:
It will have the Magura MT5 quad piston brakes which should give you all the stopping power you'll ever need.

A nice plus is the 1 Amp 5V miniUSB socket to power devices.

If it can do even half of the advertised range it is already a lot.

Also read something about an integrated frame lock...........wouldn't that be delicious.

here in Va where I am in he burbs of DC I believe I will be getting this or a ST2. There is a lot to like on both. I like the display,maps on the display , it has has a front shock, better lights, adjustable stem , higher level brakes, the price and less Omni.The unknown to me which bike can avg the faster speed on the paths/roads i use? which bike can be serviced by a non ebike dealer easier? which bike will be more reliable in general?

has this been released n Europe already? if so someone may be able to do a valid comparison...

here in Va where I am in he burbs of DC I believe I will be getting this or a ST2. There is a lot to like on both. I like the display,maps on the display , it has has a front shock, better lights, adjustable stem , higher level brakes, the price and less Omni.The unknown to me which bike can avg the faster speed on the paths/roads i use? which bike can be serviced by a non ebike dealer easier? which bike will be more reliable in general?

has this been released n Europe already? if so someone may be able to do a valid comparison...

Not available for purchase until 2016...!! unfortunately.

I believe the Focus Aventure S11 Integrale is being released in Europe as we speak but my dealer network tells me that North American launch is delayed til Q1 of 2016. I purchased an ST2 in the interim. Both bikes are well built but the reliability nod goes to Focus as the ST2 has sophisticated electronics which increases the chance of failure. Not to say that this will happen but as a rule the more complicated the offering the greater the likelihood of failure.

The ST2 will be faster to speed with more initial thrust off the line. The EVO RS mid-drive has 80NM of torque so it will pull up hills better (at slower speeds) but mid-drives typically are slower (some exceptions) to speed than rear hubs. If you do lots of hill climbing or mountain biking a mid-drive is a decided benefit. If you do mostly urban or road riding a rear hub is the way to go. The ST2 is has a carbon fork and big tires which mitigate some of the road harshness. For me personally I can mitigate road harshness in the front by adjusting my riding position and grip on the handlebars. I need the suspension for my back so I use a suspension seatpost for this purpose.

There are tradeoffs between all bicycles but the two you have narrowed as a potential purpose are both wonderful.

cant wait to get my ST2 ! hopefully wont get passed by any Kalkhoffs...I love flat long distance, gently rolling hills and curves for variety. There is a suspension fork kit for the ST2 on a few websites w/adapters and fender at $700 area. I rode Ravi's bike, didnt like the display location was the only glaring negative for me. and I like the maps on the display Kalkhoff along w/the belt drive and its lack of maintenance (in theory). no local dealer I am comfortable with for either

which bike can keep up speed better on rolling roads is where I am coming from. My St1 can go as fast as a ST2 but I couldnt keep up w/Ravi on any incline. Allright, his may be a little faster , wont deny but the hills is where it shows , even small ones. Or going say going 25 on a flat and want to get to 28 which would be better? I think the Stromer but until i ride wont know. And the last is the personal fit and feel, a good fit for somebody may not be a good fit for another but the point is moot! I will not wait til 2016 to do this , if I could I would go with next week but I think I am ready to start the process

Read the information from the Kalkhoff website:

http://www.kalkhoff-bikes.com

Range is typically overstated but this bike has a large battery so it will be very good by comparison to others.
I went to website before I asked question and got toothed page
Read the information from the Kalkhoff website:

http://www.kalkhoff-bikes.com

Range is typically overstated but this bike has a large battery so it will be very good by comparison to others.
I did that before I asked the question and found this page http://www.kalkhoff-bikes.com but not sure which of the batteries the integrale uses?

I recently bought a Focus Adventura s1.0 ... Same drive / battery as Kahlkoff ... My experience with approx. 200 miles is that the range is very close to estimates ... On lowest assist "eco" 100 is attainable ... I generally use the bottom 2 levels ... It has 4 levels .... Also has very good components ... Happy camper thus far

Attachments

• 1477438240407-1289279814.jpg
    1477438240407-1289279814.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 582
Back