2014 Easy Motion Neo Jumper 650B

Ravi I have commuted 4workdays last week. It's happening :)

Brilliant stuff, Brambor..!
This spring/summer you'll have all kinds of riders coming up to you and inquire about your superhuman bike :)

Last edited:
OK, I just ordered a Jumper 650B. I used to ride 15-25 hours a week and took a dose of antibiotics that ruined both my Achilles tendons. Sunday I rented an electric bike and Monday I ordered one. So it more than double the weight of my Ibis Ripley I had to sell but I CAN GET OUT ON MY BIKE!

The mods will begin when I put it together, wider bars, shorter stem with less rise, WTB carbon saddle (had to pull the favorite saddle off the Ripley)... thinking about x1 or x1 front and ditching the triple. I am so happy to get back on a bike, it's amazing. I already have plans to build a more trail capable mtn bike as soon as the legs start to improve. Yes, it will also have to be electric. I can only peddle a small amount now, this is GREAT. Any feedback or suggested upgrades are appreciated. Back to 7 bikes in the garage though this is the only one I will be able to ride.

OK, I just ordered a Jumper 650B. I used to ride 15-25 hours a week and took a dose of antibiotics that ruined both my Achilles tendons. Sunday I rented an electric bike and Monday I ordered one. So it more than double the weight of my Ibis Ripley I had to sell but I CAN GET OUT ON MY BIKE! The mods will begin when I put it together, wider bars, shorter stem with less rise, WTB carbon saddle (had to pull the favorite saddle off the Ripley)... thinking about x1 or x1 front and ditching the triple. I am so happy to get back on a bike, it's amazing. I already have plans to build a more trail capable mtn bike as soon as the legs start to improve. Yes, it will also have to be electric. I can only peddle a small amount now, this is GREAT. Any feedback or suggested upgrades are appreciated. Back to 7 bikes in the garage though this is the only one I will be able to ride.

Good for you Jeremy,
This bike has changed the way I look at short commutes and rekindled my passion for outdoor adventure, which I missed because of my ACL+meniscus injury.
A larger chainring in the front will help you go faster and you might want to replace the pedals (to Azonic or Shimano Saints) and grips. Otherwise it's a immensely pleasurable experience to ride this bike both on/off road.

Ravi, thanks much. I am putting some Xpedio pedals on, taking them off the fat bike. I hope faster comes back into my vocabulary with time. Short rides I could average almost 25 mph with about 250 watts. Endurance used to be my forte, bike paths for now. I am so looking forward to this helping me physically AND mentally.

OK, I just ordered a Jumper 650B. I used to ride 15-25 hours a week and took a dose of antibiotics that ruined both my Achilles tendons. Sunday I rented an electric bike and Monday I ordered one. So it more than double the weight of my Ibis Ripley I had to sell but I CAN GET OUT ON MY BIKE! The mods will begin when I put it together, wider bars, shorter stem with less rise, WTB carbon saddle (had to pull the favorite saddle off the Ripley)... thinking about x1 or x1 front and ditching the triple. I am so happy to get back on a bike, it's amazing. I already have plans to build a more trail capable mtn bike as soon as the legs start to improve. Yes, it will also have to be electric. I can only peddle a small amount now, this is GREAT. Any feedback or suggested upgrades are appreciated. Back to 7 bikes in the garage though this is the only one I will be able to ride.
Jeremy,

I'm assuming the antibiotics that damaged your Achilles contained fluoroquinolones? I have a good friend who can barely walk as a result of that class of antibiotics.

I recently purchased a Neo Cross for commuting to work and absolutely love it. I've been hesitant to mention to my friend as I'm not sure he has or will recover to that point of riding again but look forward to see how the Jumper works out for you!

Holy smokes, I keep hearing about more and more peoples lives ruined from this. Yes, fluoroquinolones, I knew about Cipto, I took Levaquain and didn't know until a few hours later I couldn't walk at all. I am 8 months into it tomorrow. I am still on crutches for anything over 30 yards or so, can barely do stairs and the pain is far worse than the tonsillectomy I had last year. When you friend is ready I would encourage him to give it a shot. I had the biggest smile on my face renting the electric bike last weekend. I had tears in my eyes just to be back on a bike. My future is pretty uncertain, my whole life was based on sports. Every trip my wife and I did was kite surfing or biking, we live in Tahoe for the outdoors. My recovery sounds like 2-10 years to never. The Perhiperal Neuropathy is really bad. I used to kite surf, ski, mtn bike, skate ski, back country ski, road bike, dirt bike, snowmobile and just about everything else you can think of.

Hulaj, all the best to your friend, it's really horrible and life changing, 100%. I can now see a glimmer of hope just being on a bike. Hope is important. I bought a fast sports car which really helped but the money' on this bike is worth so much more that the massive coin spent on a sports car. Not saying the car isn't a blast though. I think the saying is for the car used to be "there is no substitute" ! There is, it's a bike. The bike isn't cheap but when you can barely make it through a day it's a bargain, cheaper than medical bills and costs twice a good set of car tires.

Holy smokes, I keep hearing about more and more peoples lives ruined from this. Yes, fluoroquinolones, I knew about Cipto, I took Levaquain and didn't know until a few hours later I couldn't walk at all. I am 8 months into it tomorrow. I am still on crutches for anything over 30 yards or so, can barely do stairs and the pain is far worse than the tonsillectomy I had last year. When you friend is ready I would encourage him to give it a shot. I had the biggest smile on my face renting the electric bike last weekend. I had tears in my eyes just to be back on a bike. My future is pretty uncertain, my whole life was based on sports. Every trip my wife and I did was kite surfing or biking, we live in Tahoe for the outdoors. My recovery sounds like 2-10 years to never. The Perhiperal Neuropathy is really bad. I used to kite surf, ski, mtn bike, skate ski, back country ski, road bike, dirt bike, snowmobile and just about everything else you can think of.

Hulaj, all the best to your friend, it's really horrible and life changing, 100%. I can now see a glimmer of hope just being on a bike. Hope is important. I bought a fast sports car which really helped but the money' on this bike is worth so much more that the massive coin spent on a sports car. Not saying the car isn't a blast though. I think the saying is for the car used to be "there is no substitute" ! There is, it's a bike. The bike isn't cheap but when you can barely make it through a day it's a bargain, cheaper than medical bills and costs twice a good set of car tires.

Jeremy,
Sounds like he has exactly same symptoms as you and he is really having a difficult time mentally dealing with sitting around all day watching TV and reading all the horror stories associated with that class of antibiotics. He's same age as you and use to teach/snowboard in Colorado every winter . This year he didn't want to see any pics etc from annual ski trip as it would depress him too much.
I agree with you, nothing beats getting out on a bike and where I live (Oahu) I'd be surprised if you could get your fancy sport car over 50 mph with the traffic!
Even without Achilles issues, I can say the Neo bikes put a smile on everybody's face that I let test ride it! I'm constantly finding excuses to ride to the store or coffee shop etc!
Rather then hijack this thread, If you don't mind, I'll send you a message offline tomorrow and perhaps you can let my friend know how the bike works out for you!
When you fully recover, come on down to Oahu and I'll get my fat ass out kitesurfing again!
Good luck on your recovery!

Jamie

Sounds good, no idea how to work this site, send me a PM or something and I can pass along my info. I can't figure out how to pm, maybe it's a "conversation"?

I could give up the fancy sport car in a second to be able to what I could do a short time ago. I would give up just about everything, save the wife. I woudn't mind touching base with your buddy if he was up for it. Go kite surfing or ride your bike, I have found things can change quickly. Some friends lent us their beach house for the weekend, I couldn't even get to the sand down the stairs, let alone take a step in it but we all did a nice ride on electric bikes along the coast in 30 kts of wind and I wasn't even thinking about kite surfing (ok maybe a little bit). I also managed to get in a 2 person kayak to check out the otters and seals. Man I hate to hear about folks in the same situation as I am. It's a full on nightmare. Hopefully someday I will be able to get on a plane, too much pain and quick altitude changes seem to hurt. We flew an hour and I wasn't sure if I was going to make it, wheel chairs suck until you need one.

Anyway, back to the topic, so excited for the Neo. I have had a few dozen bikes and I am looking forward to this one more than any other Gucci mtn carbon bike I have had. So happy friends made me try, I hadn't even thought about it . Just to be on a bike makes it all ok, if just for a few minutes, I forget about the pain. You live in a pretty sweet place yourself. You got me thinking, ride one, see if we can make it to the coffee shop and back. Even though I have only been on an ebike for 1.5 hours it's a new world. Even though I have no power in my legs I can spin them some on the bike, it's like PT but better.

Curious if anyone has found the need for a 2nd battery? I can't last as long as the battery now but trying to think ahead, I am guessing the hills around here are going to crush the 12 amp battery. We live at 6,000 feet, I can't imagine altitude will effect an electric motor.

Jeremy,

This is unbelievably grim stuff:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/10/20/fluoroquinolones-side-effects.aspx

I am the other side of the coin. Six weeks ago I came down with pneumonia. My lungs stopped functioning without a lot of oxygen through a cannula. They kept trying various antibiotics and finally used a cocktail of stuff through a lot of IV's over a couple of weeks. Along the way they would take me for 200 foot walks with a nurse, trailing oxygen, which I still need 24/7. Everyone would say how well I was doing, while I struggled to catch my breath.

Basically, I was in a coin flip. The antibiotics work, or I'm going to die. We're in a crisis with antibiotics. Eventually, my lungs started to work enough that it was no longer critical, but there is some kind of damage, probably from my past excesses. I can walk far enough to get in the scooter at Walmart. I trust my doctor, my nurses, and my physical therapist. My body, what is left of it, is number one. I'm thrilled to be home.

So, my personal strategy is to put my body on the top of the list. I can't ride yet, and I may only ride with oxygen. My balance is a little shot. But everything I do is to get back a little of what I had a few months ago.

When I was in the rehab facility (OK, nursing home) there were people who were learning to use walkers, and two people would hold them up. They'd encourage them to take a 6 inch step instead of a 4 inch step. Every little inch was some kind of achievement. It's all about mobility. You do what you can. From my experience there is a lot of PTSD, just raw fear from too much change, or too many treatments. I can't come to grips with it.

I had a weird conversation with the hospital doctor where I basically said "WTF, two weeks ago I'm in normal physical condition, and now I'm an invalid." And he'd say "No, you're not an invalid. You can eat on your own. " and I'd have to say, "Well, I'm disabled" and he'd seem pleased. In other words, I guess, don't make things worse than they are, don't miss what still works.

You got screwed. Medical care can be a real mine field. I'm circumspect about what happened to me. I've been good for 25 years but the past has caught up with me. Maybe I deserved it. It's not just about the bike or how little I can do. I look at my ebike all day, glad it is there among the oxygen tanks and the concentrator. It's what you can add to your own capabilities, day by day, that I hope is turning positive for people like me and all the people in the nursing home, most far worse off than me. I try to take in the big picture. I try to fight the fear, any negative emotion.

I hope you can overcome some of the physical limitations. I'm glad you've discovered ebikes and that they are bringing you joy. You seem to have an incredible drive.

All the best,

George

George sorry to hear about your experience as well, always better alive that not.

Hoping my bike ships soon, I need this.

Jeremy,

This is unbelievably grim stuff:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/10/20/fluoroquinolones-side-effects.aspx

I am the other side of the coin. Six weeks ago I came down with pneumonia. My lungs stopped functioning without a lot of oxygen through a cannula. They kept trying various antibiotics and finally used a cocktail of stuff through a lot of IV's over a couple of weeks. Along the way they would take me for 200 foot walks with a nurse, trailing oxygen, which I still need 24/7. Everyone would say how well I was doing, while I struggled to catch my breath.
So, my personal strategy is to put my body on the top of the list. I can't ride yet, and I may only ride with oxygen. My balance is a little shot. But everything I do is to get back a little of what I had a few months ago.

I had a weird conversation with the hospital doctor where I basically said "WTF, two weeks ago I'm in normal physical condition, and now I'm an invalid." And he'd say "No, you're not an invalid. You can eat on your own. " and I'd have to say, "Well, I'm disabled" and he'd seem pleased. In other words, I guess, don't make things worse than they are, don't miss what still works.

George

These kinds of things are extremely painful to hear. I truly believe that ebike can make a difference when it comes to health. It may not be instantaneous but few years down the line, it becomes apparent. I know this feeling because my dad underwent bypass surgery and never fully recovered but whereas my uncle who was an active biker till he turned 50, never had diabetes or blood pressure or asthma etc.

Most of the pharma companies simply don't care about human welfare, they are here to run a business and make money. They do a lot of lobbying as well (FDA is right next to our campus and I hear a lot stories everyday).

The best we can do is to find alternative solutions like ebiking and gain psychological and physiological well-being.
For the last one week, I am coaxing my brother to get an ebike and start commuting this summer...

Last edited:
Really interesting to hear these stories of medical side effects and crippling aftermath of some antibiotics. I'm curious why you guys had to use them in the first place? Is there another alternative that you could recommend for people who are considering fluoroquinolones use?

I'm really glad to hear that the 650b Jumper is working for you Jeremy, it's a beautiful bike and the full suspension makes it comfortable for people who might be struggling with health. Personally, it keeps my back and neck feeling better after rides and I'm in pretty good shape all things considered.

I wanted to point out for you and Hulaj (and anyone else struggling with health who wants to regain some independence and enjoy the outdoors) to check out the new Outrider Horizon. This is a completely customizable handicap accessible universal recumbent style electric trike. They can set it up with normal foot pedals (but you still get stability from the trike design and a relaxed seat) or use hand cranks (if you cannot use legs or have lost them) or use arm pins so you just use the throttle like a little go cart. This thing is amazing, really life changing because it's so rugged and also has suspension for off road use. They guys who are making it teamed up with a person who is a paraplegic and was expressing his need for a bike to regain a sense of life worth living.

So I have had the bike for a bit now a ridden it only a handful of times. Overall it's pretty great. Still to big for me at 5 9' but it's getting me out and it's great. It's looks like but I cringe at the components and geometry. My legs still hurt too much for dirt but pavements and bike paths are great. I went camping for the first time this weekend, ok we bought a travel trailer but between that and the bike I am starting to feel human again.

There are tons of alternatives to Floroqinolones that will do the same thing. The Dr that put me down had a long list of others that would of worked. Be wary and do your own research and don't rely on the doctor. Lesson learned the hard way.

Anyway, loving the ebike and think anyone that needs a boost, wants to get stronger, get healthy, commute or just have fun should consider one, they are overpriced for the quality but worth every penny. Looking forward to the next generation that is coming out. They should be pretty legit in a few years.

Thanks everyone.

Intersting read.. Had no idea certain antibiotics could have this kind of side effects... Havent been near them in over 10 years, but sometimes you just don't have a choice.

OK, I just ordered a Jumper 650B. I used to ride 15-25 hours a week and took a dose of antibiotics that ruined both my Achilles tendons. Sunday I rented an electric bike and Monday I ordered one. So it more than double the weight of my Ibis Ripley I had to sell but I CAN GET OUT ON MY BIKE!

The mods will begin when I put it together, wider bars, shorter stem with less rise, WTB carbon saddle (had to pull the favorite saddle off the Ripley)... thinking about x1 or x1 front and ditching the triple. I am so happy to get back on a bike, it's amazing. I already have plans to build a more trail capable mtn bike as soon as the legs start to improve. Yes, it will also have to be electric. I can only peddle a small amount now, this is GREAT. Any feedback or suggested upgrades are appreciated. Back to 7 bikes in the garage though this is the only one I will be able to ride.

Best wishes as you find ways to battle back.
The best change I made on my 26" jumper was to get more aggressive tires.
I went with a store brand from Performance Bike they call the Forte Pisgah, which supposedly is made by Maxxis.
Not a perfect change, but still more predictable than the Rapid Robs.

Mike
Colorado

Jumper 650B and Burley Travoy have been making rounds to farmers market and grocery stores.
Can easily haul 50lbs of groceries.

K and Travoy.JPG

That's exactly the reason I got this trailer.
Takes 3 seconds to remove and the bike's aesthetics is not compromised by hanging any seatpost racks.
Two thumbs up for GPS holder :)

Ravi and JoePah, I have had a similar if not identical storage case for almost as long as I have had the bike, and have a handy hint for you.

Fit an additional foam protector to the underside of the case, as even with all the best will in the World, the case begins to wear/rub and scratch the paint from the frame.

As hard as I use my bike, I still hate to see unnecessary marks caused, if they can easily be prevented.

Ravi and JoePah, I have had a similar if not identical storage case for almost as long as I have had the bike, and have a handy hint for you.

Fit an additional foam protector to the underside of the case, as even with all the best will in the World, the case begins to wear/rub and scratch the paint from the frame.

As hard as I use my bike, I still hate to see unnecessary marks caused, if they can easily be prevented.

Thanks Eddie.
Just placed a soft sponge layer beneath that.

Back