2013 path

Spokes are breaking on the rear wheel. My bike shop said they can not be fixed!

• how to fix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • any one else having this happen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mark

After 1 month of riding the 2013 Path, I noticed the back wheel was becoming wobbly.
Rode into a bike shop and they said the spokes are breaking and could not be fixed. They said the bike was
should not be ridden.

After 1 month of riding the 2013 Path, I noticed the back wheel was becoming wobbly.
Rode into a bike shop and they said the spokes are breaking and could not be fixed. They said the bike was
should not be ridden.
Hi Mark,

You can contact our tech support for assistance. Best to email Chawn @ [email protected] or you can call CUSTOMER SERVICE 1-800-377-4532

Saw a 2015 Dash yesterday, the first thing I did was squeeze the spokes - they are still shipping very loosely spoked wheels, probably cheaper than a proper build.

Saw a 2015 Dash yesterday, the first thing I did was squeeze the spokes - they are still shipping very loosely spoked wheels, probably cheaper than a proper build.
Currie is shipping me a new set of spokes, but you are right. If they would check the bike thoroughly from the moment
of shipping, I do not think we would have this problem. After just 10 miles of riding, the front disc brake came loose,
so I had to pull into a bike shop, easy fix, but...

The wheel builds on the three dash's I've seen (including mine) have been really bad, worst I've seen on any bike I've owned -- tons of hand-loose spokes, and both out-of-true and out-of-round. Even the disc rotors were out of true. The dealer I bought mine from should have tensioned and trued the wheels if that's how they arrived, but that wasn't done either, so I had another LBS redo the wheels, and now they are perfect. I should say I've got spoke wrenches and am fine w/ doing wheel tweaks and tightening the occasional outlier spoke, but I leave major adjustments to folks w/ wheel building experience.

I had the spokes replaced at REI. Have ridden on maybe 3 rides since then, now I have the same
problem again! Wheel out of true and at least 2 broken spokes. I am beginning to think
the bike is too heavy to be supported by the back wheel.
Mark

Well I over tensioned mine and the rim started to split, I'm buying the hoop for about $30 and reusing the spokes, doing the lacing myself. I think I have a handle on the correct tension now, about 1/2 turn above factory.

Regarding your wheel, sounds like the REI mech probably got distracted and failed to build a nice, even tensioned wheel. It does take some skill and focus. There is a break in period where you can expect to adjust half a dozen spokes, like after 30 - 60 miles, but when spokes start poppin there is a bigger issue. Back to REI, hire a wheelsmith that is willing to work with a hub motor, or DIY. Good Luck! -S

The bike is not too heavy, it's just a bad wheel build. A wheelbuilder that knows what he's doing will be able to set the wheels up no problem. Mine was crap too as it came new also so I had the wheels redone by another LBS after the first week and I haven't had to touch a spoke in 1600 miles since.

I don't think there should be a break in period if the wheel is done right.... I have tandems that are much heavier and harder on wheels that went thousands of miles before needing any adjustments on the original wheels.

Well I over tensioned mine and the rim started to split, I'm buying the hoop for about $30 and reusing the spokes, doing the lacing myself. I think I have a handle on the correct tension now, about 1/2 turn above factory.

Regarding your wheel, sounds like the REI mech probably got distracted and failed to build a nice, even tensioned wheel. It does take some skill and focus. There is a break in period where you can expect to adjust half a dozen spokes, like after 30 - 60 miles, but when spokes start poppin there is a bigger issue. Back to REI, hire a wheelsmith that is willing to work with a hub motor, or DIY. Good Luck! -S

I did take my bike back to REI yesterday and they are putting all new spokes on. The main bike mechanic
there is very knowledgeable about wheel builds and did check all spokes last time. Hopefully this fixes the problem
for good.

Finally got my bike back from REI. This time they did replace every spoke. Sure hope that fixes the problem for good!
I have around 1052 miles on the bike so far.
Mark

Finally got my bike back from REI. This time they did replace every spoke. Sure hope that fixes the problem for good!
I have around 1052 miles on the bike so far.
Mark

Hey Mark,

Glad you got your spoke problem sorted out. I was told by a New York bicycle (non ebike) dealer/repair shop, that in 2013 there were a rash of spoke failures due to poor, low quality stainless steel spoke material supplied to the bicycle industry. The manufactures he dealt with covered the dozens of wheel failures his shop had repaired. I guess this had the potential to affect bikes manufactured from late 2012 through all of 2013 for bikes sold as 2013 model year. I find this very easy to believe, in the industry which I work I've seen critical materials mismarked for hardness just for profit. I don't imagine this was the bike manufacturer, I suspect this was the material manufacturer. I can't imagine Currie poorly designed the wheel.

I would bet a nickel if your spokes were all replaced your problem is resolved :D! Enjoy your ride!

Back