20" x 3" Wheels: How Stable?

Just to allay your worries, a 20" fat tire bike is not unstable unless you're like a 7 footer. I don't care for the heavy feel, compared to lighter bikes, but that's their nature, usualy over 60 pounds, and by the time you add a rack, mirror, and a lock, they're even heavier. Even heavier with shocks. I've never even tried to fold mine. Not going to have another sciatica flareup trying to lift it.
That's a fair point. A heavier bike is going to be more stable than a lightweight regardless of wheel size (all else being equal if someone wants to nitpick).

The senior/RV/camper crowd sure seems to like the 20 x4" tires, especially with a step thru frame. They're all convinced it's more stable platform, but in my opinion, it's mostly the ease of dismount. I follow an "ebikers-over-60" facebook group, and many of those people have not ridden a bike in 30-40 years. A surprising number report how they fell down in the first week, post some pics of their bruises, and jump back on. They like the fresh air, They like riding but they don't need a workout. Very few appreciate using the shifter or the gearing, and quite a few ask if it's OK to leave it in top gear.

We have all the e-bikes with 20x1.75" tires, 20x4", 26" and 700cc skinny tires, and a 26x4" monster. A daily commuter with small tires needs suspension in my opinion. The 20" fat tire is not enough, unless you air them down, and then they suck all your battery and then they kill your legs when the power is gone. For pavement. I'll take the 26" and 20" with skinny tires. Just feels more like biking to me. I like my 26" fat tire for riding on the street because it's highly visible, so I use and like smooth treads.
I enjoy reading the almost daily injury updates in that FB group.

Back