20 mph ebike to carry 2 kids (gravel, dirt, pavement)

Bartleby

Hi all, I would like an ebike that:

-is class 1 (20 mph cutoff) so I can legally take it on local bike trails,
-can carry two kids (I have one 3 y/o and one on the way, plan to carry both once the second is 1 y/o),
-can handle gravel / dirt paths (some of the best bike paths around me fit this description, though all are very smooth / well-maintained),
-also does well on pavement.

I'm also on the larger side (6'3", 220 lbs).

Budget is not a huge concern (would consider paying up to say $5k), especially if I can get a safe setup. I am thinking about a cargo bike (maybe longtail like the Yuba Spicy Curry), though wonder if people have other suggestions.

Also for background I have a Supercommuter 8 and love it! I currently use that with a Burley trailer for daycare commuting and weekend trips but have had issues: a trailer wheel popping off in transit (and per Burley the trailer is not safe above 15 mph), I can't legally go on the many bike trails around me (class 1+2 only), and while the Supercommuter is absolutely amazing on pavement I'm a little hesitant about taking it on gravel/dirt. For those worried it will go to waste don't be, I will still be commuting on that to work daily (and riding solo on the weekends)!

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Last edited:
-is class 1 (20 mph cutoff) so I can legally take it on local bike trails,
-can carry two kids (I have one 3 y/o and one on the way, plan to carry both once the second is 1 y/o),
-can handle gravel / dirt paths (some of the best bike paths around me fit this description, though all are very smooth / well-maintained),
-also does well on pavement.

I'm also on the larger side (6'3", 220 lbs).

Here is a perfect bike for you.

SURLY has several dealers across the nation. I just test rode one at my local dealer. This bike has Bosch CX motor (20mph limit). Here is a great review of this bike: https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a26453696/surly-big-easy-review/

Excellent steel frame that is capable of handling 400lbs. It'll also handle your kind of trails nonchalantly. It comes with room for the second battery, so you could use your super commuter battery and extend the range.

Last edited:
I second the vote for the Pedego Stretch made by Timpo above. A great bike for carrying kids or other cargo. The dual motor version might be a good choice if you have many hills to climb. It's a class 2 bike though since it has a throttle.

pedego-stretch.jpg pedego-stretch-electric-cargo-bike3.jpg stretch-dual-drive-edition-1.jpg

https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/product/stretch/

Another stretch cargo bike is xtracycle.com
I'm not very big, 170 lb, and I found the surly frame weight rather daunting. We do have hills here.
Reise & muller makes a popular front bin model, see corts review. You have to live somewhere there is not a lot of wind for those bin bikes, IMHO. But they do allow you to see what the kids are up to while you are under way.
Any bike, make sure it comes with or you install plastic skirts to keep the kids fingers from being pinched between frame strut & spokes.
My yubabikes bodaboda was perfect when delivered, but I don't have any kids alas. I electrically assisted it myself with a hub motor since winds are so high now. Low rear wheel mondo would be easier to load kids on. And be sure to buy the two strut bike stand (yuba accessory) that holds the bike steady while you are loading it. I can unbalance mine enough to make it tip, but it is the first bike stand I've owned in 60 years that actually held the bike up without falling all the time.

Thanks all! I checked and can for sure try out the Big Easy and Pedego locally, I will plan some test rides. I love steel bikes and the Big Easy seems to have a "hybrid" looking ride style rather than a cruiser style, so that is a very interesting find.

The Radwagon I had noticed before, given the price point it seems almost too good to be true. It looks like you have to order it online (no test ride). Does anyone know how the ride is?

Those stretch cargo bikes are very interesting too. Seeing one of those is what gave me the idea of getting a kid-centric ebike in the first place. I should give one a try, I worry it might not feel like a normal bike (which I'm hoping the longtails would).

Those stretch cargo bikes are very interesting too. Seeing one of those is what gave me the idea of getting a kid-centric ebike in the first place. I should give one a try, I worry it might not feel like a normal bike (which I'm hoping the longtails would).
I can turn the bodaboda left around in about a lane and a half while pedaling. Steering is slower than my mountain bikes, which is exactly what I wanted. The four previous bikes have snapped the handlebars out of my hands, whipped the front wheel sideways, and dumped me on my chin. Broke it 11/17. So I dropped $2000 on a stretch cargo bike to put more of my weight on the front wheel. Loaded my MTB with baskets was measuring 20 lb front 120 lb rear without me on it, which might have something to do with the front steering twisting to the side on piles or ridges of gravel, a speed bump, a branch. This bodaboda frame hasn't dumped me yet in 15 months. Stops better in the rain than the MTB too with disk brakes, which have needed one adjustment in 15 months. SRAM shifter on the yubabikes shifts more precisely than the shimano 7 speeds delivered on discount store MTbikes. Looks like the radwagon has the 7 speed shimano cluster & shifter, the pedego stretch has the more premium 8 speed shimano with 11-32 range. The radwagon has a direct drive hub which drags me down when I pedal unpowered about 20%. (My dd motor cost $190 with controller & throttle, less than my two panniers) The Pedego stretch has a geared hub motor which could be pedaled unpowered without drag. The yuba mondo is a mid drive and can't be pedaled without electricity.
As far as steel frames, the bodaboda aluminum frame has not flexed, and I've loaded it with 170 lb me and 60 lb of cargo. Limit is 200 lb rider & 200 lb cargo.

Last edited:
The Radwagon I had noticed before, given the price point it seems almost too good to be true. It looks like you have to order it online (no test ride). Does anyone know how the ride is?

RadWagon is heavy, bulky and lacks the finesse of Trek SC you own. If you go on trails with that bike, it's noisy. 1yr warranty and be ready to wrench a bit as the components are sub-par (entry level mechanical brakes etc.)
The biggest difference is the cadence sensor. Once you ride a Torque sensor ebike (Yamaha, Bosch, Shimano Brose etc), there is no way one would enjoy cadence sensor just as much. Radwagon in comparison to your Trek SC is like comparing Lexus to some old Dodge car.

I suspect you are right Ravi. I tried a few ebikes when I first started looking, in the $1-2k range. I tried a Turbo Vado (around $5k) thinking there was no way I would buy something that expensive, just to see what I was missing out on. It completely blew me away, while the others had been fun but nowhere near as impressive. The SC is the only other bike I have tried so far that matched the Vado (though those are the only two very expensive bikes I tried).

I think based on that experience that a test drive will be key, and that paying more may well be worth it. Thanks again all for the awesome suggestions, I will try to remember to update once I eventually land on one (which could still be a while)!

But did you actually test ride the RadWagon?
You can go on YouTube and see the real RadWagon owners' reviews. Their reviews are generally very positive.

Yes, I keep a very close eye on the products and have ridden just about every bike.
For a noob, any E-bike will suffice and create a positive impression.
Rad Wagon is just another average Chinese import. Nothing special in terms of features, except that it's affordable.

Consider test riding an XtraCycle Edgerunner with the CX Motor alongside the Yuba Spicy Curry Bosch, either would be a good choice, both offer loads of kid accessories.

I second the vote for the Pedego Stretch

BTW, Eli Smith is riding across the US in Pedego Stretch. His first cargo bike broke down a lot. When he stopped at Pedego to ask about repairs for his non-Pedego bike and the dealer saw what he was doing, Pedego gave him a new Stretch.

https://www.facebook.com/PedegoElec...-pedego-follow-his-journey/10156390678589360/

I have no connection to Pedego. I'm just a happy user without experience with other brands, so sharing what I know, not saying anything comparative. Since you live in CA, I bet you can find dealers to try lots of cargo bikes. Bring along the kids and their helmets to try with your fun load, too, if that's okay with the dealers! :)

One of the biggest things I honed in on in your thread is wanting to ride on gravel and dirt roads and carry two kids. I think the Surly Big Easy is a good choice, but I think the Xtracycle Stoker which will be released in the next month would be a better choice. It has a steel frame which could help dampen some of the tougher terrain along with its 24”x2.35” tires. But more importantly is it’s specifically built to carry kids and it’s modular so it can adapt to the growing needs of your family. The Big Easy needs to be adapted to accommodate a child seat, but it can carry pads natively. The Xtracycle can carry two Yepp seats and has a more accommodations for kids of all ages.

If I had the needs you had this bike would be a top contender. Although, if you wanted to really open up your budget I would opt for the Riese & Müller Load, this bike is my personal favorite but it could definitely accommodate your needs. The full suspension on this bike would give you the most comfortable, stable and safe ride on or off road. I don’t have kids but I look forward to being able to ride with kids off-road on a full suspension cargo bike. Kids generally enjoy any type of cargo bike, but exploring trails with them would be a new level.

Btw - Court and I did a review of the Big Easy about a week ago so that should be published soon. We haven’t done one on the stoker but we did one on the Xtracycle Edgerunner (very similar to the stoker aside from wheelsize, but wouldn’t perform as well as the Stoker off-road) and the Load which I listed links to below:

https://electricbikereview.com/xtracycle/edgerunner-eswoop/

https://electricbikereview.com/riese-muller/load-touring-hs/

I attached a photo of the Stoker and the Load for reference.

B51D793E-48E1-4574-8F09-BBC6B45A4C4A.jpeg
674794F7-953C-4D85-B1C7-0B43D3DD1474.jpeg

Since I've seen a couple mentions of it here: as an owner of a Pedego Stretch Dual Drive I wish I could recommend it, but my experience so far is very mixed. The assist mysteriously stops when running at the highest setting, and the electrical system intermittently fails. The lights are affected, which makes it unsafe to ride at night. I've experienced these issues with two different batteries. It's been with my dealer's mechanic for a month but it doesn't seem like a resolution is coming soon.

I look forward to using the Stretch Dual for my work commute (~22mi round trip) and for transporting my kid (she loves it) once these issues are fixed. It's a pleasure to ride when it works.

Just updating on my final purchase, which was a curveball even for me! I went with the 2018 Tern GSD. During my shopping / research, my wife became interested in starting to bike commute (once our newborn is old enough to do so) after I showed her how she could make her commute mostly by bike paths and a bike boulevard. She is intimidated by large / heavy bikes, so we tried out the Butchers and Bicycles MK1-E trike (https://www.butchersandbicycles.com/) because she thought three wheels would feel more stable. The ride on that turned out to be hard to manage for someone used to a two-wheeled bicycle.

After a little more looking around she tried out the Tern GSD. She loves that it is no longer than a typical bicycle and the small wheels keep the center of gravity low. I love the ride of the bike too (very comfortable / upright), and while it is not the more aggressive gravel grinder I envisioned I have already put in a few miles on hard-packed dirt trails and it does great! We probably will not use any of the folding functions (miscategorizing this as a "folding" bike in my mind is probably why I did not consider it as seriously from the start), but for the price is a pretty unique and really effective cargo bike for kid-hauling. All the others we considered were more intimidating for her.

Thanks all for your input! I think this purchase turned out great, and will be a true family bike (for both my wife and me) instead of just a second bike for me!

Thanks for the update! I also loved the Tern GSD when I tried it, although I didn't get it as I would have to sell my current e-bike (and I couldn't bring myself to part with it!). Happy biking :)

What colour did you get?

Thanks! We went with the beetle blue, but that and the orange are nice standout colors. Cargo bikes like these should definitely be on the radar for anyone who wants to haul kids, they're pretty amazing!

I just ordered a Tern GSD, and may have ordered an RFA if the delivery time was more clear. I don't want to miss a whole summer of biking with my kids.

Does anyone actually want the sliding dropouts? I can't imagine not keeping the utility deck configuration, even without kids. Otherwise the RFA looks pretty sweet!

Back