20" Fork Recommendations?

geekeasy

Region
USA
I've got a Lectric XP Lite. I'm looking to upgrade the fork. I'm not sure what no-name fork is on there now, but it's 20" and 100mm.

My priorities are:

* At least a bit lighter
* Decent shock absorption.

The XP Lite has disc brakes and almost all BMX bikes seem to have no mounts for disk brakes.

So my two questions are:

1. It is pretty easy to throw on an adapter and use disc brakes with BMX forks not designed for them?
2. Any recommendations for a fork?

Thanks!

PXL_20240609_200120730-1.jpg

1. It is pretty easy to throw on an adapter and use disc brakes with BMX forks not designed for them?
2. Any recommendations for a fork?
No it is not easy. Adapters are difficult to mount so that they don't move. It's easier to buy a fork with the caliper mounts. Unless you get a suspension fork, I don't think there is any point in changing

If you want a suspension fork, most are disk brake compatible. The better ones will cost more. I put Pasak air shocks on my 20" fat tire bike, thinking that air allows more adjustability but I never changed it . I bought the hi PSI pump to fill it.

One tradeoff is that it willl raised the front of your bike 4-5 inches higher. Raises the middle about 2", but on your bike there's room to lower the seat. If you have a center kickstand, it needs to be replaced with a longer one. Affects steering but you get used to it.

No it is not easy. Adapters are difficult to mount so that they don't move. It's easier to buy a fork with the caliper mounts.
Okay this is useful info.

Unfortunately, there seem to be few to no 20" fixed forks with mounts for disc brakes. So the simple solution then would just to switch over to rim brakes. And if I do this it would open up a ton of options for forks I could choose from.

Back