$2.5k Cool Looking MTB w/FRAME INTEGRATED BATTERY for Big Hill Climbing

The duke

Hi guys. My house is on a big hill. 3 miles straight up at 15 degrees incline. If not for that, I'd be on the roads and trails nearby. I'm thinking an e-mountain bike might be the solution.

I hate the nasty looks e-bikers get from other bikers. I don't want to have a conversation about my bike every time I pass someone on the trail. And I want to look cool. I want a battery that's integrated into the frame which really masks that it's an e-bike to the casual observer.

My budget is $2,500. I'd like a bigger battery - 600w to 1000w so I'll have some juice left after my one big hill.

I'm looking for a decent front suspension hard tail.

I'm hoping to keep the weight under 60lbs.

I'm a novice rider. I'll be riding about 15 miles of roads and 5 miles of fire roads/easy trails on every outing. I'm considering fat bikes, plus bikes and mountain bikes. I really haven't found a contender in my price range. Hoping someone out there can suggest something. I like the All Go carbon fiber from M2S Bikes, but it's $3,000. The Trek Powerfly looks great but that's $5,000!!

Would really appreciate any help!!

Attachments

• All Go.jpg
    All Go.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 709
  • Trek.jpg
    Trek.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 718
Last edited:
That will be a bit of a tall order within your budget. Most of the intube battery mounted bikes are usually more expensive on many emtb models. ie: Haibike, Cube, Easy Motion, etc. I did see some deals on last years models at Motostrano on this page for Cube E-bikes. Happy shopping.

That will be a bit of a tall order within your budget. Most of the intube battery mounted bikes are usually more expensive on many emtb models. ie: Haibike, Cube, Easy Motion, etc. I did see some deals on last years models at Motostrano on this page for Cube E-bikes. Happy shopping.

You made the cost of admission to this forum worth it. Thanks for the referral! Checking out some great deals now!

I'm looking for a bike with the battery integrated into the frame, meaning it looks like its part of the tubing.

While the battery is only 500wh, this is a great deal on a mid-drive speed pedelec, its about as stealthy both motor noise and hidden battery as you will find.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

The stock 48t front chainring might be a little big if your really doing big hills. Easy enough to change that out. A 42t front would still allow you to reach 28mph at 90rpm cadence with the 11t rear.

I have a brose motor (like on the moda) on a Bulls Evo 3 27.5+ eMTB hardtail and love it (except for the lower 20mph speed limit). While not the most powerful motor out there (although it has good torque rating), I find it the most invisible when riding.

I test drove a e3-moda today at a LBS and while its not as powerful as my Juiced CCX its a wonderful bike for the price. I will likely order one in the next few days.

Last edited:
I would second the E3 Moda. I have had mine for a month now and I live in a hilly area. Hills are not a problem and the motor is very quiet. The range of gears works well and I seldom use the top level assist despite the hilly terrain.
My only "disappointment" is the lack of a range indicator (although the battery indicates 10 levels of charge so that is very helpful), and the other is the lack of 10ths for distance mileage readings, whole numbers only.
The battery lasts a long time. The Brose motor is strong and very natural in the flow of peddling the bike.
No throttle, of course, but I am not sure how I would use it. The peddling is more natural and with a mid or high assist setting it will "jump off the" line at a stop. So no problem getting going.
I have added a 90 mm stem (should have gone with 120mm) to give me a more upright ride, although the stock position is really not that much of a forward lean.
Love the 2.4 inch "fat" tire look. It gives it sort of a MTB look, but easily used a "commuter" if you are so inclined.
The lack of front suspension is not an issue but the seat is not the most comfortable, so I will consider a new seat or perhaps seat suspension at some point.
Unfortunatly, there are no LBS to support Raleigh / iZip products, so fingers crossed IF I really need something.
I have the "step thru" Medium version so the "stand over" height for my 29-inch inseam is not a problem.
All in all the e3Moda is a nice price point with fenders, rear rack and a well-integrated battery in the downtube.

CK out the FLK Trail with the 650wh battery. Uses the Bafang M600 with 120nm torque, light weight, low Q factor and throttle option

https://flx.bike/products/trail

Room for up to 2.8 tires

Looks like FLX has really improved their product line compared to a few years ago. When I checked out their bikes, I did not see too many favorable reviews with the construction or build quality. One youtuber gave a full comprehensive review on his FLX purchase and reported the bike was basically falling apart at many points after riding approx 6 months during ownership. At that time, I would have not considered purchase, but now they look more favorable with nice components at that price point.

You made the cost of admission to this forum worth it. Thanks for the referral! Checking out some great deals now!

Great! Hope you find something you like. I have also seen some nice pricing on lightly used demos at a deep discount if that is something you have considered.

Here's another nod for the FLX. I have a FLX Trail - the latest generation. Take a look at their web site and the video they have on their new generation Trail. Hard to see that it is an e-bike and as you listen to their "new" features you will note that they are all the "cons" that they found in the EBR's previous review of the FLX Trail. I have a similar situation as you describe, having to ride uphill to return home and found that having a throttle to back-up tired legs can be of great benefit at certain times - I have never resorted to allowing my bike to provide all the power. In looking at the features of the bike, it has all the things that EBR is always noting as a plus in their reviews - 180mm hydraulic brakes, pneumatic front shocks, percentage of battery used/left, range remaining, torque and cadence sensing power assist, etc. I purchased the larger battery and the throttle was an extra charge. I have not found anything I do not like about the bike and I have been watching the FLX users forum and I have not seen anything that would indicate things that seem to be inherantly an issue, so I feel confident, that the bike will not be a maintenance issue. Take a look.

Back