1UpUSA Bike Rack

I dissagree, i do not believe the bike is made to travel with weight on its side. Maybe if you are extra careful and have some thing to really hold it in place the way a rack would. One major shift will damage either the brakes , the gearing, the wiring if it on the lowest point while shifting in the vehicle. It could work out but the one time it didn't it would have paid for the rack.

I bought a Hidden Hitch for 130 and paid a shop 35 to install the 4 bolts to the frame of my car..

I hate to sound hi and mighty but the hitch is part of the bike experience and shouldn't be skimped on IMHO

Thanks Opimax. That isn't what I want to hear, but I appreciate your feedback. I'm wondering how much of a danger laying the bike down in my trunk really is, because the hitch and then rack option seems not only costly, but a good amount of effort. Question, what kind of rack did you install to your Hidden Hitch? Can the rack be stolen, and do you ever have to dis-assemble/re-assemble?

I have a Saris Pro, the rack slides in my 1 1/4 hitch, the pin that goes through is threaded to put a nut on the end the lock goes over the end of the pin, really can't steal it. I need a 3/4" drive and my key to remove the pin and lock ,then i can slide out and install on the other vehicle. There is a matching larger lock w/the same key that has a thick cable that has place to loop on the the rack so the bikes arent stolen from the rack. My problem is the weight , i can no longer pick up my bike or the rack by myself due to my back. I leave my rack so i have a rescue vehicle at all times. i do ride about every other day or more, 45-75 miles. I have had to to be picked up MILES from home more than once in 5 years of ebike riding. i live 2.5 miles from a trail that is 44 miles long and goes into DC the other way which i can go futher than batteries I have , I could stay on a trail from my house to Pittsburgh minus that 2.5 miles of side street to the trail. just leave the set up alone and hope it isn't needed too often .

I don't understand the "scratching the paint" issue. My hitch and rack don't touch any part of my car that's painted.

I purchased my CURT 1.25" hitch online at Amazon for $112. Had it installed for $45 at a place down the block.

Then the cost of the bike rack was additional; I ordered the one this thread is titled for (1up Quik Rack). I don't know that it's good to put your ebike on its side to transport it. eBikes are heavy. I personally wouldn't be able to lift my eBike into the fold down area of my Prius due to the weight of my eBike. I can just about manage to get it onto the tray of the rack as it is.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

PowerMe, what makes you say I definitely want a hitch and then rack? I believe having a hitch installed would run me two hundred bucks (or more, with labor), and then another $150 for a rack. Besides scratching the paint and other potential damage to my car, I'd have to assemble and dis-assemble the rack every trip. After thinking about it, it seems almost like a no-brainer to fold my rear seats down and lay the bike through the trunk. I'm not sure if the whole bike will fit, but even if not, I'm thinking I can use a moving blanket to protect bike and car, and a strap to hold the trunk closed. This might seem "ghetto", but it would seem to save a ton of money, damage to my car, time and energy to mess with a rack... Do you disagree?

If you can fit your bike it your car than why buy a rack. Sounds like perfect sense to me. I think PM was just trying to say what would be needed to mount the bike rack, but I don't assume to speak for him/her. Anyway that you can get your bike as cheaply/easily as possible to where you want to ride is a good thing. Have fun and keep on riding...we're only here for so long.

Last edited:
I don't need no stinkin' fancy bike rack, here's mine:confused:

bike rack.JPG

I have two racks on my roof. One of them I bought on sale for $100 was Inno Rack. It is my favorite as it fits bikes with fenders or fat bikes or any bikes I could think of

inubike.jpg

I did it! Got my bike up and on the 1up rack and positioned correctly! I'm also using the locking skewers they sell, for both front & rear wheels (in addition to Krypto lock).

Click on thumbnail for full size pic

View attachment 2649 View attachment 2648

Hey Power Me,

First off, that's a nice looking bike!!

I just did my first drive with my ST1 on the rack. It was successful, but I was nervous as a chicken in a fox-house. The roads out here in Southern California are absolutely atrocious. I'm sure Iraq has much nicer highways. And don't get me started on what rude animals people are when driving out there. At any rate, I noticed you mentioned the "locking skewer", and wanted to ask if that is meant to help secure the bike to the rack? I mean it seems obvious it is, but I just wanted to double-check. The rack seems very sturdy, but I'm worried about one of those arms slipping from a bump, and then my precious bike falling on the highway and that'd be the end of her. These skewers seem like they'd really secure the bike to the rack. What has been your experience with them?

By the way, I did get the lock for the rack, and while it's certainly not foolproof, it's a nice additional theft deterrent, I think.

Those skewers are not for keeping the bike on the rack in terms of fear of the bike somehow falling off. They are a security measure to keep an opportunistic thief from stealing your bike while the bike is connected to the 1UpRack and you are not guarding your bike (i.e. you eat at a restaurant or leave your bike unattended and loaded up on the rack).

They're not the only security I would advise using--they're just one tool available. I have and use a Kryptonite U lock in addition to a Krypto cable. Multiple locks are a good idea because you want there to be enough hassle that a thief won't bother your bike.

Those skewers are not for keeping the bike on the rack in terms of fear of the bike somehow falling off. They are a security measure to keep an opportunistic thief from stealing your bike while the bike is connected to the 1UpRack and you are not guarding your bike (i.e. you eat at a restaurant or leave your bike unattended and loaded up on the rack).

They're not the only security I would advise using--they're just one tool available. I have and use a Kryptonite U lock in addition to a Krypto cable. Multiple locks are a good idea because you want there to be enough hassle that a thief won't bother your bike.

I don't know... if you think about it, say the arm of the rack was to somehow move back, away from the wheel... these skewers seem to keep the arm of the rack against the wheel. As I drive around on the streets here in So Cal, I try to follow a route with a smoother road (because even tho we are taxed to the hilt here, the money that is specifically taxed for purposes of fixing the road, is stolen and used to pander to political agendas, but don't get me started). No matter what though, there are plenty of bumps in the roads here. When my car hits a bump, the bike bounces a bit. My fear is a bump causing the arms of the rack to come loose/away from the wheel of the bike, whereby the bike could come off the rack. With the skewer in place, it seems impossible for the rack arm to come off the tire.

I finally got a rear rack installed on my bike (Axiom Streamliner). The arms of the 1Up will not go between the rack arms, and so now it appears that I cannot use the 1Up for a bike with a rack. Am I the only one who has this issue?

Helpful thread; thanks everyone. My main takeaway is the rack is purchased last, after decisions about the kind of rear rack you want to mount on your bike, and whether you add fenders (and if so, how much they cover the tires. Thanks for mentioning this specific rack @George S. I've been reading reviews and it makes for some discouraging reading, I must say. Between limitations introduced by the design, manufacturing QA issues, materials choices (e.g. plastic ratcheting mechanisms) and the apparent requirement that all racks must accommodate at least two bikes, I can't say I've found many 'good' choices for my one-bike needs. This comes closest so far.

Hi sorry for reviving an old thread. This question is to PowerMe if you get this.

I just purchased the the 2016 emotion evo street ebike for my wife, same as yours and looking for a rack. Trying to decide between the Kuat NV or 1upusa in a 1 1/4 hitch mount. I was concerned about the 1upusa 50lb weight limit and fender compatibility. I see you are using yours with the battery removed and a fender cushion. Any regrets or issues with that setup? Do you have any issues with the weight distribution leaning toward the rear or noticeable twist with the battery removed? Have you tried a second add on rack with another bike? I would be getting two racks, the second is not an ebike now but maybe someday, if I can't keep up with my wife lol:).

How are you liking your street? I'm hoping I can get my wife to ride with me more often, making the hills in our neighborhood much easier. Thanks, Irv

@Irv, the car rack manufacturers don't recommend a 1 1/4" hitch for ebikes, it's not strong enough. You can get a conversion to a 2" hitch and then select a model rated for ebikes. Some of the manufacturers won't warranty a rack used with an ebike if it's not rated for it. That is a result of racks breaking with an ebike on it while driving! Also, we found that the Kuat racks didn't balance the weight of the bike well, it tended to let the front wheel move around on a rear hub motor bike. 1UP and Thule and Hollywood make excellent racks with several models rated for ebikes.

I have a nothing but wonderfulness with my Saris rack. it is now at least 2 models old, 4 years old, left on my Baja at almost all times, hold 2 Stromers w/o batteries and seats on long trips. I have replaced the bolt and nut that hold it in the hitch when attaching as the threads are exposed and have corroded , 20 bucks?? It is a 1 1/4" hitch and is in specs. the Thule also will do 2 bikes with a 1 1/4" hitch . I didn't buy that at the time because it cost more and my back could pick up bikes. I would rather have the Thule now with the ramp but hindsight is not cheap I do not know what Saris has now but they have been great w/support on the phone

@Irv, the car rack manufacturers don't recommend a 1 1/4" hitch for ebikes, it's not strong enough. You can get a conversion to a 2" hitch and then select a model rated for ebikes. Some of the manufacturers won't warranty a rack used with an ebike if it's not rated for it. That is a result of racks breaking with an ebike on it while driving! Also, we found that the Kuat racks didn't balance the weight of the bike well, it tended to let the front wheel move around on a rear hub motor bike. 1UP and Thule and Hollywood make excellent racks with several models rated for ebikes.
That's news to me...I have the Kuat NV2. I started out with a 1 ¼" receiver on a Mini Cooper hauling two Ebikes roughly 5 days a week on a 2 mile rough gravel road to pavement drop off point 18 miles away. A friend of mine often puts his Fat tired Norco on the same rack. I have since sold the mini and swapped out the 1 ¼" for a 2" (change the recover tube on the Kuat) and continue to haul an ST1 and my new Bulls outlaw. If the problems you describe show up I will switch racks...maybe next year??

The one issue with the Kuat is using it on a bike with fenders. I have fenders on my giant and it works ok. The clamp sits on top of the fender and smashes it to the tire. The result is a scratched fender but the plastic rebounds and the bike hauls just fine.

A HUGE at vantage of the Kuat is nothing touches the frame. The front clamp grabs the tire and the back strap goes over the rim and tire. Very fast on and off. It also has a cable lock on it.

To each his own...

Of course, grench, it might just be that the folks with the problems on the Kuat both had 58lb, longer frame style ebikes and heavier geared hub motors. I have limited statistical data to work with in this case :) and the Kuats do have a nice, clean appearance.

We are getting a 2016 Emotion EVO City Wave and a 2015 EVO Street. Both have front and back FENDERS, and that's making the bike rack hunt a PITA!
The Class III 2x2" hitch goes on tomorrow/
What we've found so far (pros and cons are my opinion, links are all directly to mfg websites, none to specific stores or sellers):

Hollywood HR1450e is $439. 2x80lbs Pro: very heavy duty, attaches to frame (low step bike might need mounting cross post) Cons: awkward to handle/store, weighs 68 freaking lbs!

Kuat NV $549 2x60lbs Pros: pretty easy to use, reasonable weight at 49lbs, folds up near trunk when not in use. Con: Not as easy to store when off the car. This rack is designed to clamp down on the front tire near the fork. Many users say that clamping in front of the smaller front fender works great. Called Kuat tech support. Asked if it could be used with the small front fender. He said, "some people do that". I said, "do you recommend this rack for fenders bikes?" He said, "Some people do that". YMMV...

1upUSA Heavy Duty 2x50lbs $529, Super Heavy Duty 2x75lbs $559. Pros: Love the design and ease of use. Folds up well. Could store in back of RAV when not in use. Con: called 1upUSA directly, does NOT recommend from use with rear fenders for heavy bikes (i.e.: ebikes :p)

Thule Easy Fold TH9032 $699 2x66lbs Pros: designed for ebikes, clamps directly to frame, can be stored in back of RAV when not in use, lightest rack at 37-40lbs. Cons: Does not fold up towards back of car to reduce profile when not in use. 700 freaking dollars.

Personally, I would love to get the 1upUSA, but just not comfortable based on their answer (some fender alternative may be in development).
And I really don't want to spend $700 on a rack...

What to do? What to do?

Last edited:
I don't understand the "scratching the paint" issue. My hitch and rack don't touch any part of my car that's painted.

I purchased my CURT 1.25" hitch online at Amazon for $112. Had it installed for $45 at a place down the block.

Then the cost of the bike rack was additional; I ordered the one this thread is titled for (1up Quik Rack). I don't know that it's good to put your ebike on its side to transport it. eBikes are heavy. I personally wouldn't be able to lift my eBike into the fold down area of my Prius due to the weight of my eBike. I can just about manage to get it onto the tray of the rack as it is.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thanks for posting photos for your work-around. How has the rack been for you?

Last edited:
Back