1st ebike advice

K and K

My wife and I are interested in getting ebikes. We would appreciate any help. I have been trying to research online and know a few things we would like.
Here is a little about us. We are in our 60s. I am 5’10” 195 lb. My wife is 5’2” 150 lb. We both have ache backs and knees.
We plan on using them for excercise and recreation on mostly hilly roads and possibly some light off-road trails.
Comfort and easy access is very important. We would also like to have both pedal assist and throttle.
Thank you for any advice or recommendations.

I'm no fan of a throttle. If you shift like a traditional bike, I just don't see the purpose. Depending on how bad your backs are, you'll want a suspension seat post at the minimum, full suspension at the max. I'm a die hard Haibike fan. Walked out the dealership with two different Haibikes, and haven't had to go back with over 2,100 miles on each one.

Seems there are buyers who are handy, are willing to take some risk, look for lowest price for the value that meets their needs, who buy direct from online sellers. There are buyers who are a bit more conservative, see the value of purchasing through a local bike shop (LBS) where there is also one in their area, and whose budget is scalable if they see something they think meets their needs so they purchase through an LBS.

Both buyers are right. So I would start by deciding which type of buyer you are. That will tell you where to shop, online or LBS. That will tell you which brands and models fall within your purchase point option.

After that if you have a chance to do an extended demo of the bikes you like I would do that and take them on the type of route(s) typical of the routes you see yourself doing once you receive the bikes. Rent the bikes if you can for 24 hours.

As to a throttle, your call. There will be buyers where that is a requirement, other buyers where it is not.

And beware most who make a purchase will probably defend it to the end. No one wants to be perceived as making a wrong decision.

But this is all standard stuff common to all higher ticket purchases not limited to e-bikes. :cool:

Have fun selecting your bikes and keep in mind if you make the wrong decision you can always say I was wrong to yourself and buy another bike! ;)

We recently purchased two new ebikes. We are very new to ebikes and although I did a lot of research on the first purchase (Rad Rover), I felt I was much better informed on our second purchase (Specialized Como 3.0). Riding an ebike for just a couple of weeks gives you a good feel for what you like or dislike about a bike.

1) Rad Rover was an internet sale with a $1,499.00 (no tax/shipping) price point. I like this bike for the comfort, more upright riding position and fat tires (smooth ride). Also great on hills. This is a rear hub motor with a throttle. Has 12 magnet candice sensor. This is one of the lower priced ebikes. My initial research showed this bike as a great value.

2) Specialized Como 3.0 was from an LBS with a $3,200.00 (before tax). I also like this bike for comfort, more upright and balloon tires (smooth ride). Also, great on hills. It is a mid motor with no throttle, has a torque sensor. This price point is probably middle of the stream for ebikes.

I like both! Both are fun to ride and very comfortable. Both are great values for their respective price point.

There are differences. The Specialized is a better built bike (quality and parts). Torque and Candice sensing is very different. Throttle or no throttle can be or not be a big difference depending on use. The specialized is over 10 lbs lighter.

There are many bikes that meet your requirements you cited such as comfort, hilly riding and light off road trails.

I would suggest you see if you can ride as many bikes prior to purchase if possible. This may be a challenge depending where you live but I wish I had done this prior to my first purchase. Try a throttle versus no throttle set up. Try hub versus mid motor as well as torque versus candice. A lot of bikes will have different feels.

I would also suggest buying from a local bike shop over internet sales. I did both and so far everything is OK, but in the long run the LBS will better serve you in the long run (set up/tuning/warranty/repairs). In most cases, a higher budget will yield you a better bike. There are things I am wanting to upgrade on my Rad Rover, I don't feel the way about the Como 3.0. Remember-You get what you pay for.

Good luck on your search.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. As for the throttle, my knee can get pretty grumpy all of a sudden, and I feel it would be great if it got to bothering me in the middle of a ride.(or if I can’t keep up with my wife ?)
I came to the conclusion I would like to buy at a LBS if it’s a viable option. We are living north of Knoxville and it appears choices are very limited. We are currently in Palm Coy Florida and are heading back next week. I hope to check out some stores and test drive at areas like Charlotte NC on the way back. We are a little leery of buying online without at least finding a place we can test ride first

Great idea to try at stores on your way back from Florida. It could be a fun way to take rest stops during the drive to get out and do some test riding. I love having a throttle, BTW. No knee trouble to that extent, but enough that the throttle is great for starting on hills, for example. Also great for zipping through intersections when the light changes (some traffic lights are very short!)

I looked at the map and it looks like there is a Pedego store and an Ebike store in TN. It could be interesting to visit both and try their bikes, to see what is a good fit for you. Your regular bike stores may also carry some ebikes. Have fun! Enjoy the adventure!

Your story is mine. I just bought my first Ebike today. I am 53, 5'6 175lbs and dropped 125lbs. I work from home and all the stores are within 2 miles of the house. . After months of research, I ended up picking the EProdigy Magic. My original budget was 1500 but I ended up working with the company to get a deal on this bike with upgrades for 2229.65. I chose this bike for the following reasons:

1. I wanted power to get up hills with groceries. The 750W motor provides that. I upgraded the battery to 14.5ah for longer runs
2 On demand thumb throttle because I want this bike for long term and worry about twists to the wrist
3. Hydraulic break since I have small hands and this will allow me to adjust the grip
4. Step through bike making easier to get on and off
5. 120Nm torque cadence sensor
6. In white with integrated front and rear lights for safety and viability.
7. Quick release adjustable head stem so I can adjust on the fly based on where I am riding.
8. Chain cover. Sounds silly but I have caught pants in chains before, so this was a bit more important to me
9. Lastly, free shipping

This bike checked all the boxes for me and I see it as a long term daily bike and even though I am cringing on price, my son (soon to be doctor) said to me today, "its a small down payment to a longer and better life."

My wife and I are interested in getting ebikes. We would appreciate any help. I have been trying to research online and know a few things we would like.
Here is a little about us. We are in our 60s. I am 5’10” 195 lb. My wife is 5’2” 150 lb. We both have ache backs and knees.
We plan on using them for excercise and recreation on mostly hilly roads and possibly some light off-road trails.
Comfort and easy access is very important. We would also like to have both pedal assist and throttle.
Thank you for any advice or recommendations.
Check out the Evelo Aurora https://www.evelo.com/electric-bicycles/aurora/

I'm no fan of a throttle. If you shift like a traditional bike, I just don't see the purpose.
And yet I use the throttle from time to time, even though I use the gears constantly to maintain an efficient cadence.

• Extra boost on a hill
  • Stopped at a stop light without down shifting (d'oh!)
  • Getting across a busy intersection quickly
  • Occasionally taking a break from pedaling (COPD)
  • Just for the hell of it

So there are varying opinions on that one.

And yet I use the throttle from time to time, even though I use the gears constantly to maintain an efficient cadence.

• Extra boost on a hill
  • Stopped at a stop light without down shifting (d'oh!)
  • Getting across a busy intersection quickly
  • Occasionally taking a break from pedaling (COPD)
  • Just for the hell of it

So there are varying opinions on that one.

I agree.

Hi K & K, I would first look at the LBS that are close by and see what brands they offer up. Mister M's suggestion of the Evelo is a very good suggestion I have been looking at that Nuvinci Transmission and it seems very cool, basically it takes the place of the rear Derailluer, I did ride one bike with it but at the time of the ride I was focusing on the electric motors, but I have heard good things about that bike. But back to you I would want to get a bike that a LBS will support. I don't want to get blasted by the on-line purchase people, I have no real problem with buying a bike on-line(there are some fantastic online only bikes!) but I just like being able to taking the bike to a shop and actually having some real interaction(i'm very lucky i have 4 or 5 very good bike shops around me, but even these shops weren't up to speed on e-bikes) and since its your first e-bike it would be nice to have that support. I did a whole lot of research and ended up with a Specialized Como 3.0, I too am getting up there in the number of seasons that have passed me by, I was looking for something that would be easy and fun and make me want to ride again. I believe I accomplished that with my purchase, it is a very comfortable bike and I have had mine for less than 2 months and have logged 430 miles to date. This bike is only pedal assist (i have nothing against throttle bikes, I went this way to keep myself honest) Vintage Electric makes a couple bikes that are both Pedal and throttle but they are spendy but In my opinion worth it, I would love to have a Scrambler S sitting in my Garage! I know Suspension was mentioned too that will come down to personal taste, I have no suspension on my bike but on the long rides (30+ miles; kind of wish I had a seat suspension but I'll work on that this winter) it is amazing what big fat tires can soak up. So in the meantime try the Local Bike Shops and at least see what brands they sell, if they don't know about e-bikes come back here and let us know there is a whole bunch of knowledge on these forums. Best of luck to you and don't wait too long my only regret was I waited too long and I didn't know about this forum while doing my research, could've saved a bunch of time!

Back