17Ahr battery will not charge

Bikeyearround

Just got my ultra 1000 last week. Had issues with rear wheel rubbing. At just under 10 psi rear wheel clears chainstays. Started commuting with my bike. I've charged the battery a total of four times. Have to charge after every trip between home and work, which is not a problem. Yesterday I got to work with 17% left. Let the battery charge for 8 hours. When I put the battery back on the bike it said it had 36%. It always charges to 96 to 98% after 8 hours. I biked home on level 1 assist to preserve as much battery as possible for the duration of the twelve mile hilly ride. Battery stopped providing assistance about 5 miles from home. It said it had 7% left but it still would not power the motor. Plugged the battery into the charger once I got home but the charging light does not turn red on the power supply. Check the voltage coming out of the power supply with my multimeter. It reads 54 volts so I know the power supply is fine. Started chat support with biktrix. they are having me send the battery back to them and said they will send me a loner battery. Has anyone else had issues with batteries no longer charging? The battery has never been dropped. I always charge the battery before it was drained completely. I never charged the battery before letting it cool for an hour after a long ride. PS riding the Juggernaut without any assistance with 8 PSI in the tires was quite the workout. I hope I don't have to do that too frequently. Thoughts?

Just got my ultra 1000 last week. Had issues with rear wheel rubbing. At just under 10 psi rear wheel clears chainstays. Started commuting with my bike. I've charged the battery a total of four times. Have to charge after every trip between home and work, which is not a problem. Yesterday I got to work with 17% left. Let the battery charge for 8 hours. When I put the battery back on the bike it said it had 36%. It always charges to 96 to 98% after 8 hours. I biked home on level 1 assist to preserve as much battery as possible for the duration of the twelve mile hilly ride. Battery stopped providing assistance about 5 miles from home. It said it had 7% left but it still would not power the motor. Plugged the battery into the charger once I got home but the charging light does not turn red on the power supply. Check the voltage coming out of the power supply with my multimeter. It reads 54 volts so I know the power supply is fine. Started chat support with biktrix. they are having me send the battery back to them and said they will send me a loner battery. Has anyone else had issues with batteries no longer charging? The battery has never been dropped. I always charge the battery before it was drained completely. I never charged the battery before letting it cool for an hour after a long ride. PS riding the Juggernaut without any assistance with 8 PSI in the tires was quite the workout. I hope I don't have to do that too frequently. Thoughts?
Join the Biktrix Forum on facebook,I recall seeing a few people with battery issues

We had a problem with a battery not charging properly - the Biktrix staff fixed the problem - let them do their magic.

We've learned to avoid leaving the battery at 100% charge for more than a day or two. Better to go out on a short ride to lower the voltage to 85 or 90% if you don't plan on using the battery right away. Better yet get a Satiator charger from Grin Technology and you can program the charge rate and the voltage. See https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-satiator.html

Then you can control the end voltage depending on whether you want to ride or store the battery. We programmed the Satiator to charge 85% at 4 amps for storage and 100% at 3 amps just before a long ride or to balance the cells. The Satiator is a very precise charger and gives you true voltage readings rather than a four lights.

We had a problem with a battery not charging properly - the Biktrix staff fixed the problem - let them do their magic.

We've learned to avoid leaving the battery at 100% charge for more than a day or two. Better to go out on a short ride to lower the voltage to 85 or 90% if you don't plan on using the battery right away. Better yet get a Satiator charger from Grin Technology and you can program the charge rate and the voltage. See https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-satiator.html

Then you can control the end voltage depending on whether you want to ride or store the battery. We programmed the Satiator to charge 85% at 4 amps for storage and 100% at 3 amps just before a long ride or to balance the cells. The Satiator is a very precise charger and gives you true voltage readings rather than a four lights.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check that charger out.

I let mine sit in a heated area for two months and it died. I'm still not sure why.

The Satiator is a very precise charger and gives you true voltage readings rather than a four lights.
I've had mine since they were introduced. Fantastic. That said, a correct voltage reading at the charger output doesn't always mean the charger is working. Sadly I'm not savvy enough electronically, but have seen this happen several times in 5 years of answering support email and calls.

I have cheap charger from Aliexpress for 100% backups. ($10 a pop) I had Luna chargers and they were nothing worth spending money on. Short lived and many failed components.

The beauty of the Satiator is the ability to charge at several voltage levels as well as being programmable. I charge 24v, 36v, 48v, and 52v ALL on a single charger. I have settings for 50%, 80%,90%, and 100% I can also vary the charge rate. I bought it before becoming a reseller and wouldn't hesitate to pay MSRP again.

I let mine sit in a heated area for two months and it died. I'm still not sure why.

That's what happened to our battery. It doesn't necessarily mean that the battery cannot be revived. It can mean that the BMS battery management system has shut down access to the battery to protect the battery or it could mean that the BMS has failed. Talk to Biktrix. They can boost the battery back to life or repair a bad component.

I should add that the Satiator has a Boost function to allow a battery to be chargeable again but I haven't used that function yet.

Last edited:
That's what happened to our battery. It doesn't necessarily mean that the battery cannot be revived. It can mean that the BMS battery management system has shut down access to the battery to protect the battery or it could mean that the BMS has failed. Talk to Biktrix. They can boost the battery back to life or repair a bad component.

I should add that the Satiator has a Boost function to allow a battery to be chargeable again but I haven't used that function yet.

I sent it back to Biktrix. That said it was toast, so I had to buy a new one.

Luna had a pretty long run of batteries that needed to be "flashed" in order to be revived. It was a BMS problem. Sadly when some resellers market products they use descriptions like "best" and "high quality" for $10 BMS. I occasionally buy a cheaper China battery with brand name cells and ALWAYS add a backup BMS. Roshan may have been blindsided by a supplier and someone changed a component. It happens. He always makes it good. He's big enough to sell good builds, but not so big that he loses touch.

I'm interested hearing more on your Satiator & if you really think it is worth the price?

I'm interested hearing more on your Satiator & if you really think it is worth the price?
& I happen to ride a 2019 Ultra FS and I have to say, BikTrix has the best customer service on the planet. By letting them do their magic in my respect, I've got nothing but good things to say.

I've had mine since 2015. I have several different voltages to charge. But even if I had just one the convenience and accuracy along with being programmable (Windoze and OSx) makes it a tool that pays for itself.

Email [email protected] and we can help you debug it. I would also change the display settings to voltage and report voltages rather than percentage. Eg. Was charged for 8h and it charged to 48V, stopped assisting at 45V etc.

Back