Known Issues & Problems with Surface 604 Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Surface 604 as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Yes, I am in agreement . Surface is doing an amazing job of correcting my Rook. It was not perfect but having the confidence of a great company has kept me in the game. Updates to come.

Just purchased a Surface 604 Rook, that I am trying very hard to like. So far my experience has been less than stellar. Bike had several issues in the manufacturing and quality control department. Headlight and tail light were wired incorrectly, but even more concerning, the bottom bracket assembly was not the right size resulting in a front sprocket that is well out of alignment and unable to keep the chain from falling off. Response to these concerns from Surface 604 has been sporadic at best. Not sure if anyone checks emails on a regular basis or if they even have dedicated support. They finally told me this is a known issue (would have been nice to have just said that upfront). Not sure why they would continue to ship defective bikes with a known issue. My bike has now been in the local bike shop for over a week with no certainty on when it will be working correctly. I have owned bike for about 3 weeks but 2 weeks now it has been in the shop waiting on part. Looks like my second beautiful biking weekend without wheels. I share this in hopes that Surface 604 folks can get their act together.

Just purchased a Surface 604 Rook, that I am trying very hard to like. So far my experience has been less than stellar. Bike had several issues in the manufacturing and quality control department. Headlight and tail light were wired incorrectly, but even more concerning, the bottom bracket assembly was not the right size resulting in a front sprocket that is well out of alignment and unable to keep the chain from falling off. Response to these concerns from Surface 604 has been sporadic at best. Not sure if anyone checks emails on a regular basis or if they even have dedicated support. They finally told me this is a known issue (would have been nice to have just said that upfront). Not sure why they would continue to ship defective bikes with a known issue. My bike has now been in the local bike shop for over a week with no certainty on when it will be working correctly. I have owned bike for about 3 weeks but 2 weeks now it has been in the shop waiting on part. Looks like my second beautiful biking weekend without wheels. I share this in hopes that Surface 604 folks can get their act together.

@RIbrown - I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with the Surface 604 Rook as this is a bike that I am seriously considering to buy direct from Surface 604. I believe that the Rook is a very good ebike at this price point. More importantly I am very interested in seeing how Surface 604 handles this situation. I agree that this bike should not have been sold to anyone if there was a known defect. This bike should have been inspected before it was shipped out to you. Mistakes do happen so let's see how they deal with it. Please let us know how things go. Thanks very much.

send an email to Sam: [email protected]

They will take care of you and get any issue resolved. They have done a good job for me in the past.

P.S. I carry a number of brands and they ALL, have had some issue or another along the way. What's most important is that they are not frequent, and that the company addresses the issue. Surface does that. If you are not working with a dealer, it might take a little longer to resolve direct, as dealers usually know how to resolve the issues, and can generally communicate a problem quicker, since they know the ebike, and understand what might be causing an issue.

I have already been in contact with Sam for a few days now after their Customer Service rep was slow to respond and then dropped the ball. They made me feel like I was unreasonable to expect Customer Service to be available during normal business hours. It bothers me that when the local shop initially spoke to them about the chain alignment they claimed they had never seen that before. Turns out, they finally admitted it was a known issue with bikes shipping with the Shimano derailleur and will require a fix that is not available. I wonder if they will be notifying all registered owners or just those who are persistent. Bottom line, good Customer Service means being upfront about issues and communicating.

Correction: The defect is not the BB, however the BB Torque sensor was damaged during inspection to determine cause of the chain alignment issue. The chain line fix is not a different BB, but apparently a new off -set front chainring that is needed to move the chain line inward. I have been told the chainring part will be arriving at Surface 604 on Monday and available to ship to customers sometime after that. For now, I’m just going to have the torque sensor repaired and the mechanic is going to block out the lower gears to prevent the chain from coming off. It will get me back on the road for now while I wait on the the fix.

Update: Still awaiting the new chain ring that should improve the stability of the chain in lowest gear, but I will say that Sam at Surface 604 has really taken my concern seriously and I feel much better about the attention the issue is receiving. I think I just caught their customer service when they were overwhelmed. They seem willing to do whatever is needed to make it right. :)

Hello, just joined today, to answer and reassure buyers on Colt 604.
I had one since april 2018. Had no problems assembling it (followed the online video), with just the front fender being difficult to adjust without rubbing the tire. Did 500 km on the bike so far. Extremely happy with it. Got 200 km on the first charge by pedaling a lot and using only level 1 assist on slopes. Now I use mostly level 2, still pedal a lot and get 120-150km on one charge. Am not an athlete, and weigh 190 lbs, and as my name says, am OLD.. so no worries about battery life.

A second great area is the brakes. I practiced ( and flat spotted a bit the rear tire in doing it,) and can stop from 20kph on a measured 7% downhill slope in 7 feet!! Great sense of safety for urban riders, and in my case on bike paths, there is always the stray dog, or ball, or child on his first bike that cause hairy moments, so great idea!

A third great area is the tires. I can fall off the paved path into gravel and come back on, still running parallel to it, even if there is a 2" curb, just with the grip on the side of the tire. Again great sense of safety. Also on any fast turns on asphalt where there is small winter-traction gravel left on it,( 2-4mm stones) the wide tires won't slip sideways as with normal 700c tires with 70 pounds in it. Even at 35-40 pounds the tires have excellent rolling resistance. ( I understand that the hysteresis loss is less on these than on the 700c tires.) Also did a 30 km ride on a total gravel path in a park , at a good clip, with big slopes, and never a wobble or a slip. So good choice, not too big, not too small.

Other likes: The rear brake light; the integrated solid rack; the step-through;
The saddle is not the greatest; comfortable for a young guy, but no tilt adjustment possible. Us older folks have sensitive tubing ending in that area, plus sensitive vertebrae, I think there should be a senior saddle option, one with visible springs like they have in Europe, much cheaper and lighter than any suspension system, they are only 30 $ or so ..

The chain only fell off once , ( between frame and plateau), when I did a gear change almost at a standstill in a steep slope. Would probably have come off on any bike. I pulled it back on with my fingers only, no problem.

The only puzzling thing that happened on two separate occasions is that after parking the bike in the sun for half an hour on a hot day, it lost all power and the display showed flashing empty battery whenever I tried to get anything more than level 1 assist from pedals: any throttle, or any attempt to get level 2 or higher would stop all power to the motor. Battery was still at half full. In both cases I would need to shut down the display with the button, and reboot up again; and this happened several times, whenever I tried to increase the demand on the bike. I limped home on 1st level and let it "rest", and next day it was working perfect. I deduce from this that either their current controller is too sensitive to heat, or that the battery has an internal thermal protection circuit that is a bit sensitive. OK, it was a slight-panic problem, but it is far better to have too-sensitive alarms than abusing the battery... So: park in the shade on hot days...

Finally: I doubt that running the battery down to zero and charging it everytime to 100% gives the best battery life ( highest number of recharge cycles); from my experience as a modeler with Lithium batteries, and from research I read, it seems that the sweet spot for optimal life is to recharge at 20% and to not more than 80%.. It makes sense; except that there may be a cell-balancing cycle that only is performed when the battery is near total charge, by electronics inside the battery.... This information I could not get from Mike, who was not aware of these details. So, if anyone knows more, or wants to know more on this, let me know and we will try to get to an answer, maybe from the factory with Mike help.. a new battery is expensive, and if we can make ours last longer we all win.

P.S. from OLD (brain too):
1 OOOps, I have a Rook, not a Colt. Everything is the same except the high tube vs step-through.
2 I have bought a lock for it, a Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Standard Bicycle U-Lock with Transit FlexFrame Bracket, 4-Inch x 9-Inch . It is humongous, just looking at it you feel like removing your glasses thinking it cannot be that big, but it is. Good news is that it fits well ( the colt and rook have a wide space between tire and seatpost, you need a big lock if you want to anchor to a 2 or 3" street post), and has a tremendous deterrent value. Looks like a Caterpillar cleat, or a crane cleat. The lock fits in the bag on the rear carrier and dont feel the extra weight.

OOPS2: For some reason I always think of the owner as Mike. It is not, it is SAM. Sorry.

has anyone had a error code 30.....i have a 2018 colt....i was sent a new controller but, im still getting the error...its happening when under a little load going up a hill maybe 10% grade..... comes on for about a second then goes away everything seems fine i can continue to ride the bike

Hi,
After lots of reading and watching endless ebike reviews by Court well as some test drives at one of the few ebike retailers in my area, I decided on a Rook. I bought it on Monday and want to ride it all the time! It is perfect for me! I have one small issue, and I thought that I would ask here before lugging the bike back to the shop. I have to transport the bike to area bike trails as riding on the roads around me can be really scary. To transport, I take the front tire off so that it will fit in the back of my SUV. Today, after I put the front tire back on, I could not get the front fender to stop rubbing. I adjusted the quick release on the wheel, and played with the fender mounts with no luck. The front of the fender seems too low and that is where it is rubbing. It did not have this problem before I started taking the front wheel off and on. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi,
After lots of reading and watching endless ebike reviews by Court well as some test drives at one of the few ebike retailers in my area, I decided on a Rook. I bought it on Monday and want to ride it all the time! It is perfect for me! I have one small issue, and I thought that I would ask here before lugging the bike back to the shop. I have to transport the bike to area bike trails as riding on the roads around me can be really scary. To transport, I take the front tire off so that it will fit in the back of my SUV. Today, after I put the front tire back on, I could not get the front fender to stop rubbing. I adjusted the quick release on the wheel, and played with the fender mounts with no luck. The front of the fender seems too low and that is where it is rubbing. It did not have this problem before I started taking the front wheel off and on. Any ideas? Thanks!

The screw holding the front light also helps to hold the front fender. When the screw gets loose, it allows the fender to move lower toward the tire. When the screw is loose, ensure that the fender is as far up away from the tire as it will go and then tighten it up. These fenders are a bit flimsy and I regularly have to adjust them. Hope this helps.

Bob

Hi,
Hi,

Have your dealer get you a new fender. If you can't stop the rubbing, by moving it up in its highest position by the light ( at the mount on the shock), its probably warped a bit into a shape that is not correct. Sometimes the fenders get bent in shipping. And trying to bend them back, even with a heat gun, does not always net the best results. Surface will replace it for you I'm sure.

Besides that, you made a GREAT choice in buying the Rook. What has been a great value, now becomes an absolute 'steal', with the price at $1799, the very nice quality components, especially when you now compare that price and specs to something like the entry level quality of ebikes from Rad (just one example), that now are going to be priced at $1699. The Rook actually really competes well with many ebikes that are higher priced up in the low to mid 2000's, in particular the Pedego and Trek brands. Many riders have even told me they like the ride of the Rook and Colt much better than most Pedego's priced up to $3k. Plus the Surface is lighter weight, easier to get on a car bike rack carrier. Being able to buy at that price through local dealers (if you are near one), means you wont have to worry about the challenges of on-line, internet only service, from thousands of miles away when or if you have a bike problem.

Good luck in the many fun ebike miles you have ahead !

The screw holding the front light also helps to hold the front fender. When the screw gets loose, it allows the fender to move lower toward the tire. When the screw is loose, ensure that the fender is as far up away from the tire as it will go and then tighten it up. These fenders are a bit flimsy and I regularly have to adjust them. Hope this helps.

Bob
Great, I will look into it. The light is a little bit loose and moves around a little, so that screw may just need tightening. Thanks for your input.

Have your dealer get you a new fender. If you can't stop the rubbing, by moving it up in its highest position by the light ( at the mount on the shock), its probably warped a bit into a shape that is not correct. Sometimes the fenders get bent in shipping. And trying to bend them back, even with a heat gun, does not always net the best results. Surface will replace it for you I'm sure.

Besides that, you made a GREAT choice in buying the Rook. What has been a great value, now becomes an absolute 'steal', with the price at $1799, the very nice quality components, especially when you now compare that price and specs to something like the entry level quality of ebikes from Rad (just one example), that now are going to be priced at $1699. The Rook actually really competes well with many ebikes that are higher priced up in the low to mid 2000's, in particular the Pedego and Trek brands. Many riders have even told me they like the ride of the Rook and Colt much better than most Pedego's priced up to $3k. Plus the Surface is lighter weight, easier to get on a car bike rack carrier. Being able to buy at that price through local dealers (if you are near one), means you wont have to worry about the challenges of on-line, internet only service, from thousands of miles away when or if you have a bike problem.

Good luck in the many fun ebike miles you have ahead !

I was really lucky to find this bike at a dealer. There aren’t a lot of shops around me that sell ebikes, and this particular dealer sells nothing but. I tried out several bikes and kept coming back to the Rook. From all my research, it looked like a great bike - excellent price with the qualities of a higher end bike. The dealer said he sells them as soon as he gets them.

I will check the screw on top of the fender to make sure that it is secure, and if the rubbing doesn’t stop, I will investigate getting a new fender. I have putting it through it’s paces over the past few days and have probably loosened a few things up. Thanks so much for your help and happy riding!

Hello, just joined today, to answer and reassure buyers on Colt 604.
res.)
Other likes: The rear brake light; the integrated solid rack; the step-through;
The saddle is not the greatest; comfortable for a young guy, but no tilt adjustment possible. Us older folks have sensitive tubing ending in that area, plus sensitive vertebrae, I think there should be a senior saddle option, one with visible springs like they have in Europe, much cheaper and lighter than any suspension system, they are only 30 $ or so ..

I just purchased a Rook for my wife, last week. Unless they are using more than 1 type of seatpost, they do adjust for tilt. If you completely loosen the adjustment bolt, you'll see how tilt is possible.

OOPS2: For some reason I always think of the owner as Mike. It is not, it is SAM. Sorry.
Hi @Old , just to let you know that there is an edit function that you can use to edit your posts after you posted them if you need to correct something (or add to it for that matter). Just go to the post that needs the correction and at the bottom left you should "Report Edit Delete", just hit edit. This edit function however may also have a time limit for how long before you can not edit it anymore but so far it seems to be a very long time (maybe forever?) versus some of the other boards that I've seen. Just thought you might like to know. BTW, thanks for your review of your Rook.

Last edited:
Back