Known Issues & Problems with GenZe Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from GenZe as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

If there's one thing I hate about the e101, it's the knobby tires. Buzzy and lacking traction on the street. Changing them is my next project.

Ms. Z's e102 has proper street tires, but the rear wheel needs a bit of truing as delivered. Something well within my expertise, but not for everyone. There are a few scratches on the rear hub from spoke installation. Quality overall seems pretty good, though.

Hi,all.
I will have had my 101 5 years come May.
And like I wrote in the review I did in 2015 . The odometer stops at 4096 miles.
The spokes all rust op real bad.
The battery only lasts for 20 miles if I ride in number 2 asstist.
Other then them it has been fun!
Keep looking up! Ken.

Couple of questions about the Genze 100/101 electric system.

I finally have been able to experience about a hundred miles on my 101 with short (3-4 miles) rides every morning and put in a significant amount of time to understand the electric controls.

I then re-wrote the (terrible) OEM user manual which forced me to experiment and learn even more with the result that I now really like the bike.
(If anyone is interested, the re-written manual is at BevHoward.com/gz/)

Questions;

1 - How are the Genze's "tripmeters" designed to work?
I've determined that the Odometer is not resettable and the "ride time" resets every time the power is turned off.
"Trip1" and "Trip2" don't make sense. It looks like "Trip2" resets to zero every time the power is turned off, and "Trip1" records until a "reset" is issued.
(The OEM manual instructions on resetting the tripmeter when not in settings is wrong)

2 - Does the USB port (on the bottom of the 4 button controller) provide power from anyone's 100/101 bikes?
It took a while just to find the connector, but trying it with multiple cables and devices indicates that it is not powered up. I know that the 100/101 bikes systems don't have USB communications (app connectivity) but the manual indicates that if the port is there it will provide power for a cellphone.

Thanks in advance,
Beverly Howard

GZ-USB.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bevhoward,
I probably can't help you much. They must of changed the 101 controller, because the one I have only has one trip meter.
You reset the one I have by holding the minus button until the trip meter goes to 0.
Hope this helps! Keep looking up! Ken.

After a scorching summer here in Central Texas, we had our first cool (55 degree) morning and the 101's pedal assist response was way below the pedal assist on hot (85-105 degree) days.

I always ride in assist level 1, but, today some of the hills gave me problems, so, I used level 2 which seemed to match how level 1 felt on hotter days.

So, the question... does the ambient temperature significantly impact Genze's electronics and sensors?

Thanks in advance,
Beverly Howard

Back