Known Issues & Problems with Brompton Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Brompton as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Nightmare Experience with E-Brompton so far: I received my e-Brompton in early May. It seemed to work fine up until I returned it to the shop for it's 100-mile check-up. After that, it was a series of problems -- first with battery not engaging (could not get battery light to level 1,2, or 3) - or if it occasionally did, it would stop working with no warning and no apparent conditions. (Yes, I know how to properly install the battery -- it's not operator error).

I returned it to the dealer and was met with 2 weeks of silence. After repeated calls, finally the dealer offered an opinion that the battery was faulty and ordered a new one. More waiting. I started to offer my own troubleshooting steps. To prove it was battery, why didnt dealer just loan me a battery from one of his demo bikes? He did - and it worked sporadically. Any small bump would cause fault codes and no power - but then it would self-correct for a short time, only to fail repeatedly.

So I offered my next troubleshooting step (that a dealer should have offered). Why not replace the front wheel/motor assembly from the demo bike as well. Ah... that was a success. That configuration has worked well with the demo battery and demo motor.

I begged for him to order a new motor as well. After many calls, he said Brompton wasnt approving that action. In the meantime, the new battery arrived. I installed. No luck. Couldnt go to level 1,2,3 power.

So now here we are - almost three months later. To my surprise, dealer now says new motor has arrived -- but he is too busy and doesn't know when he will be able to install. Really? I spent about $7,000 there (my partner has another e-Brompton - that has mainly been ok -- except motor gives off clicking noise under higher load. I'm not mentally prepared to fight that one too).

A really bad experience - and still not resolved. Not happy with Brompton and really not happy with dealer. Am i being unfair?

thanks for listening

Last edited:
Hi -- I wrote the same note as above to Brompton - and things moved quickly after that. The dealer installed a new battery and a new motor assembly -- and that fixed it. Despite my experience, I still believe e-bromptons are amazing bikes. The are so portable. We keep 2 in the trunk (boot) on the ready. These have to be the lightest e-bikes on the market. It wouldn't be difficult to ride even if the battery dies. thanks for listening

I owned a three speed Brompton not electric for some years, fantastic bike I used it daily to get around London, illness stoped my daily cycling.
With the Covid 19 Attack, I no longer wanted to use the London underground, on looking at options I discovered the Brompton E bike.

I purchased one at a cost of £3025. The Brompton E bike has problems that need addressing, I have wrote to Brompton expressing my concerns.
problems are all related to the electric motor, Battery/brain and controller.

After four weeks the bike would cut out for no reason all the battery indicator lights would turn off and then it would return to life, not good when entering a busy junction.
The bike was returned to a Brompton Junction store where a firmware Update and system reset were carried out. The bike was great for the next two weeks.
Then further motor issues started, the bike completely failed, motor fault lights were present.
On turning the power off and back on the bike would run again for around a mile and then the problem would repeat, at the same time the motor got louder and louder sounding as though a bearing had gone dry and as though it had started to break apart.
The bike was again returned to Brompton Junction, this time a new motor and controller were fitted.

i recommenced Brompton to a work colleague who then also purchased the same bike, after four weeks his bike was returned to Brompton Junction and a new motor was fitted, his problems were similar but the motor on his bike was also making a loud clicking noise. He is yet to forgive me for recommending Brompton to him.

Reading IAD-YYZ experience, and listening to Brompton, I was informed that the battery and motor have to be paired to each other, all System updates are done through the USB port of the battery.

i contacted Brompton customer services, I was told they are aware of the issues with the motor and are working on resolving this, they also stated that the bikes are fairly new and teething issues are to be expected, sales began in 2017 it’s now 2020 and problems still exist!

Brompton Junction Covent Garden have been fantastic attending to the issues quickly and providing free loan bikes whilst repairing mine.
They have listened to my complaints and frustrations and apologised for problems I am encountering on behalf of Brompton.

i will update this once I receive a reply from Brompton to the Letter I sent them.

Brompton are a great company making fantastic folding bikes, they are now being let down by faulty motors and electrics.
in turn they are letting down their customers and employees by selling a product with known issues.

I have another Brompton on order for a family member, fair to say this is not electric and I am considering cancelling this order due to the problems I am encountering.

come on Brompton you spent years building a reputation don’t let faulty components spoil it.

Re- Ann M comment, when a bike fails unexpectedly and in the case of a e bike loses the power the rider is expecting it becomes very very dangerous.

David -- thanks for responding to this forum. I had thought i was alone in my problem. Your issues with motor cutting out repeatedly were common for me.

Gee - now after about 60 miles on the new motor, it has developed the infamous loud clicking sound. Looks like the adventure isnt over yet. Will head to the dealer.

I do think Brompton is a good company (we have 2 other non motor versions in the other town we live) -- but seems it might be time for a reboot on e-brompton and re-engineer to version 2.0?

Curious to get any other experiences out there.

thanks

Hi IAD-YYZ

you are definitely not alone, what surprises me is there is a lack of forums with complaints regarding the electrics on these bikes.
i searched for information prior to purchasing and found no negative comments regarding these bikes.
when I visited the Brompton junction store workshop they had many in for repair. One in the bike stand had the same issues as mine, the mechanic said he would do both at the same time.

like you I believe that Brompton are a good company, down side with the electric bike is reliability for the premium charged.
A standard Six speed bike would have cost me around £1450 with premium paint colour, the e bike without additional bag Is a further £1475,
over double the cost for what so far as only been a constant inconvenience.

My original Brompton had no faults and only needed to go to the store for a yearly service.

My work colleague and myself purchased our bikes in late May 2020, his motor failed after four weeks, mine between 6-7 weeks, his commute is Nearly double mine, mile for mile both bikes have failed at a similar distance.

These numbers may assist:
Brompton Factory / head office 0044 208 232 8484
Brompton Junction Covent Garden 0044 207 836 5700 ask for the workshop.

Williams advance Engineering were involved in the development of the Brompton motors and electrics and I am going to contact them regarding the issues I have.
Their website is worth a visit, Wae.com Brompton bike information can be found on their website under Electrification, here you will find the year they were employed to assist in the development using their expertise!!

Hope you get yours sorted quickly.

Hi David

Thanks for moral support. I too am surprised there is not more internet traffic on this issue. We can't be the only ones.

My motor clicking noise started up today after 15 minutes - and then after a brief stop - magically disappeared. Makes trouble-shooting really difficult. I recorded the noise from yesterday's ride.

Appreciate the phone number for the Brompton mother ship. I wont trouble your dealer - since I'm USA/Canada based.

good luck
Steve

Brompton has decided they will replace the motor. The clicking noise internal to the motor has not gone away in several days of riding.

I appreciate that Brompton stands behind their products.

Hi,
I bought my electric Brompton end of August this year in Antwerp (Belgium) in a well-known i-bike store and suddenly when I was cycling yesterday (I was with my caravan on a cycling weekend) the motor stopped working. Very annoying because I continued my trip (30 km - up and down around Brussels) without electric support.
I worked but I was very tired 😅
Now I found the following info on the Brompton site:
https://brompton.zendesk.com/hc/en-...iables-That-Affect-The-Brompton-Electric-Bike
They speak of calibration the first 30 seconds when you turn the battery on.
The dealer never gave me this information.
Next week Tuesday I have an appointment with my dealer to address this issue.
On the other hand I found also info that you can not ride on a somewhat rougher road while this is also dangerous for the motor.
Thanks for your feedback,
Walter

Hi,
I bought my electric Brompton end of August this year in Antwerp (Belgium) in a well-known i-bike store and suddenly when I was cycling yesterday (I was with my caravan on a cycling weekend) the motor stopped working. Very annoying because I continued my trip (30 km - up and down around Brussels) without electric support.
I worked but I was very tired 😅
Now I found the following info on the Brompton site:
https://brompton.zendesk.com/hc/en-...iables-That-Affect-The-Brompton-Electric-Bike
They speak of calibration the first 30 seconds when you turn the battery on.
The dealer never gave me this information.
Next week Tuesday I have an appointment with my dealer to address this issue.
On the other hand I found also info that you can not ride on a somewhat rougher road while this is also dangerous for the motor.
Thanks for your feedback,
Walter
Hi Walter
i too was not told by the dealer to wait 30 seconds, the battery will turn off on a uneven surface but should turn back on.
This was the start of my issues, Brompton reset the bike. But the real problems then started. I have now had the motor changed and for the last three weeks I have had no issues. No cut outs no Motor clicking etc. Brompton also issued notification last week of a new firmware update, mine is booked in for this in two weeks time. There is a Facebook group Brompton Electric Owners may be worth a visit, this is a private group just request to join. Lots of owners on here.
when the bike is operating as it should it’s a Brompton to love, a remarkable piece of engineering trouble is when stops, it’s just scrap metal and a inconvenience to its owner and back to the shop again.
Can not fault customer service at Brompton Junction or Brompton they will help. Brompton however know of the motor issues and need to get this permanently resolved and fast. Have not heard of similar complaints about Go Cycle Bikes.

Hello David,
Feels good to read your answer - it’s exact our case.
Will keep you informed about the next steps.
Walter

Hi Blacky

My tale of woe is above with repeated failures and the annoying clicking sound.

Brompton replaced motor and battery - and all has been great for about 500 miles. Based on new stable set-up: I sometimes do the 30 second pause at the beginning - sometimes not. I have found it does NOT seem to make a difference. I've always taken a good number of bumps and it doesnt turn off. We've done various rides on rails-to-trails with packed dirt/gravel and it's been fine.

Just keep working with Brompton -- even make noise about getting new motor if problem persists. There is hope.

So nice to hear this.
Because if I’m honest I love the bike very much even without battery.
But I will buy a normal e-bike to for bigger tours.
Which brand name and model would you recommend me?
Have a nice Sunday- here in Brussels the weather is marvellous.
Walter

Hi Walter

Not sure how you define bigger tour -- but e-Brompton should take you 40+ kms (in battery level 1). Now that motor is sorted, I can see doing longer trips reliably. I like lighter weight of brompton compared to other e-bikes.

Beautiful day in Wash DC suburbs too. Had planned to be in Belgium/Denmark this summer -- but pandemic had other ideas.
Be well.

Hi IAD-XYZ,
The Brompton e-bike is functioning again 😃.
It had all to do with software updates.
Concerning longer trips I feel more than comfortable with my e-Brompton, but when I’m going to travel with our VW California through Europe with my wife we are planning to do longer trips with our bikes when the camper is parked at the camping place. Not yet sure if we are going to buy an extra e-Brompton for my wife or that we buy two high performance Cannondales Mavara Neo 1 bikes with a belt drive and 625 batteries in order to be safe for more than 100kms and to have the comfort of a better suspension.
There is no issue at that time of space while we have a Thule rack for two e-bikes.
Enjoy your day, W.

Nightmare Experience with E-Brompton so far: I received my e-Brompton in early May. It seemed to work fine up until I returned it to the shop for it's 100-mile check-up. After that, it was a series of problems -- first with battery not engaging (could not get battery light to level 1,2, or 3) - or if it occasionally did, it would stop working with no warning and no apparent conditions. (Yes, I know how to properly install the battery -- it's not operator error).

I returned it to the dealer and was met with 2 weeks of silence. After repeated calls, finally the dealer offered an opinion that the battery was faulty and ordered a new one. More waiting. I started to offer my own troubleshooting steps. To prove it was battery, why didnt dealer just loan me a battery from one of his demo bikes? He did - and it worked sporadically. Any small bump would cause fault codes and no power - but then it would self-correct for a short time, only to fail repeatedly.

So I offered my next troubleshooting step (that a dealer should have offered). Why not replace the front wheel/motor assembly from the demo bike as well. Ah... that was a success. That configuration has worked well with the demo battery and demo motor.

I begged for him to order a new motor as well. After many calls, he said Brompton wasnt approving that action. In the meantime, the new battery arrived. I installed. No luck. Couldnt go to level 1,2,3 power.

So now here we are - almost three months later. To my surprise, dealer now says new motor has arrived -- but he is too busy and doesn't know when he will be able to install. Really? I spent about $7,000 there (my partner has another e-Brompton - that has mainly been ok -- except motor gives off clicking noise under higher load. I'm not mentally prepared to fight that one too).

A really bad experience - and still not resolved. Not happy with Brompton and really not happy with dealer. Am i being unfair?

thanks for listening

I had mine for 2 weeks and the front motor broke.

Now I used it for 2 years and the 2nd front motor is gone, luckily just before the warranty ended. This time the axle is loose and it makes noises. In two further years this will probably cost GBP 1000 to repair.

I also had intermittend problems with lamps on on or off, which could all be resolved by waiting or trying a reset (pressing both buttons sometimes does miracles). Also checking the connector to the motor once in a while helps. As I had a few punctures it needed to come on and off anyway.

At the moment I am waiting for the replacement motor.

To be fair I would like to report that I got my Bromtpon electric back after about 3 weeks. Brompon replaced the motor with damaged bearings. I am somewhat worried that it was broken after just 2 years but the new one has one little change one can see from outside: There are no longer holes on the right side, through which dirt could get into the motor case. It is also quieter now, but maybe it was additional noise came from damaged bearings.

Last edited:
Firstly i want to say I had an H6R non electric Brompton and loved it. When I got the publicity information from Brompton about the electric version I ordered one.....
I bought one of the first electric Bromptons in the uk. It had the same cutting out issues mentioned here. Cycle Heaven in York were so helpful trying to fix it and it went back to the factory and had a new motor and controller fitted. The result was it was even worse than before, so I got a full refund from Brompton. The demo bike was fine.
I thought it must have been a bad batch so waited another year and bought another one. It was marginally better but I got totally fed up with it so sold it to one of the guys in London who seem to be on a mission to buy all available Bromptons!
I really miss the ability to pop the bike in the boot and leave it there to use whenever I can.
However I’d had enough and looked at the Tern Vektron electric folder but it would completely fill the boot and was very expensive.
I test rode a Cube Compact Hybrid 20 and fell in love with it. Ok it’s heavy and I had to use a tow bar fitted rack, but the ride was a dream with the larger bungy tyres.
I have now owned the Cube for 120 miles and love it to bits.... my next purchase would be to get an H6L ( I wish I hadn’t sold my original Lime Green H6R) to add to the “fleet” and leave it in the car boot as a permanent fixture...... I think I’ll wait until Bromptons are available at list price as opposed to paying a premium of up to £1000!

I own a Brompton Electric for two weeks and now the front hub motor has begun to make the clicking noise under load as IAD-YYZ has mentioned above. Approximately after 7 to 10 miles. As mentiond here there seem to be some frequently occuring problemes regarding the Brompton electric. Beside of that it is a great bike.

Last edited:
I've had a M6L Brompton Electric for about 4 weeks now and for the most part it's been a solid bike and I've been happy with it. I commute with it nearly daily with electric on, and even took it on some longer rides (London - Brighton) with the motor off.
From day 1, I've had the motor cutting out issue. The motor would just cut out, with the Error A code displayed on the battery whenever I stopped pedaling. Fine if I was coasting, but really dangerous if I'm in the wrong gear when kicking off. Within the first week I've also managed to lose the gear indicator chain. Both issues were thankfully resolved free of charge and I've had no issues since. Took about a week for a new front wheel with motor to arrive and have that installed. The new gear indicator chain was installed by the bike shop with some loctite. Shocking that the motor didn't work Day 1 considering the sticker price for my particular model is £3200!

I went for a test ride last week with a brand new H6L the shop just assembled, and the battery failed (assist stopped) within 10 minutes, after a few small bumps. The bike shop acknowledged the issue ("oh not again!" reaction) and said Brompton know/accept it and are working on it.. I've also talked to Brompton who said the same - with no ETA for the 'fix'... With that in mind, the reasonable thing to do would be to wait; however unfortunately I'm still looking for a reason to go ahead with the purchase now, as it would facilitate my daily life... Seeing there are a few people who suffered from the issue here, I wanted to ask for the latest and greatest advise: Wait or Buy?

Back