Polaris Vector V2

I spoke with a representative of Polaris who sent me this brochure of the Polaris Vector V2 which should be available in April 2014. I'm very impressed with the specs but not sure I can wait as I have a couple of trips planned before April. I'm also a little concerned about the 6ah battery. It is 48 V and they do have electric braking and a regenerative mode which may help but I'm not sure if it will carry my 185 lbs up the 12% grade to my house after a ride. The brochure also doesn't say anything about the DuoDrive so I don't know if that's a feature in the new model.

Attachments

• Spec Sheect - V2.pdf
    884 KB · Views: 718
Hi Theron! Thanks for the post and background. The new Polaris ebikes look pretty great and they've done a lot to improve over the 2013 model's weaker battery pack and limited performance. I heard that over the course of this year they've improved the software so even those original bikes feel more powerful (if you update them).

It looks like the motor has jumped from 450 watts to 750 (which is the upper limit in the US) and the 48 volt battery pack is also at the high end. I can't say definitively without a test ride but I bet this bike feels really powerful. As for your concern about range (given the modest 6 amp hour pack) I can relay my experience with the Pedego City Commuter. I have owned two of these bikes (one with a 36 volt 15 amp hour pack and one with a 48 volt 10 amp hour pack). Now, it might seem like the 15 amp hour pack would go further, but it actually came out about the same in terms of range as the 48 volt pack (and was a lot more fun). This isn't a perfect comparison because the motor was also larger on the 48 volt bike, but the point is that it was a more efficient system for moving weight.

Given the regenerative braking on the Strive V2, the average ~54 pound weight and the stronger motor and battery system, I would guess this thing gets decent range. It also has three modes of pedal assist (Eco, Utility and High Speed) which means you can keep an eye on the battery capacity and tone down the assist if you are starting to run low.

I'm not sure how far you plan to go but this bike will definitely offer good power to move you and if it's like the Vector V1 then it has 8 speeds on a SRAM X7 which is plenty of range for climbing or going fast. Keep in mind, the battery is removable so you can charge on location. You could probably also get a second battery pack to carry with you or store on location at the half way point. Feel free to expand on your planned use of the bike and your needs, I'd be happy to share some other ebikes as suggestions if timing for release of this mode is an issue as you mentioned. There are lots to choose from out there and while the Polaris brand is solid and their bikes have really improved (and offer lots of sophistication) if you can't wait for them then I could point out a few alternatives.

Court,
Multiplying the voltage and amp hrs helps me in comparing the energy contained in the different batteries 36 X 15 = 540, 48 X 10 = 480, 48 X 6 = 288, and I suppose if the 6 Ahr is an issue I could buy a second battery but it's not a very elegant solution. But I don't want to wait for the Polaris in April. The couple who travel with us just bought two Pedego Interceptors, 500W, 48Volt, 10Ah, which are great, and purchasing a Pedego is very close to the top of my list, but I'm probably going to purchase two of the Volton Alation 500W, 48V, 11Ahr. I really like the idea of the lower center of gravity provided by the integrated battery, the front shock, and of course, the lower price. If you have other suggestions I'm certainly open to them. I'm a bit concerned about purchasing a bike I've not be able to test ride but I'll be in Chicago the first of January so will probably get with Joe at Volton and give them a whirl.

Hi Theron, sounds like you've got some great options in mind! Joe is a nice guy and I'm sure he'll work with you to do a demo. Sounds like you might already be in contact ;)

A couple of other great electric bikes that offer low center of gravity, comfort, quality and the ability to still mount a rear rack are the cruisers from Motiv. They also let you choose colors and offer both a high-step cantilever cruiser called the Spark and one that's low-step with a smaller frame called the Sleek. As with the Pedego bikes or the Volton you were looking at, you can get these in 36x10, 36x15 or 48 volt 10 amp hour. The guys there should be easy to get ahold of and offer great support and a solid two year warranty on the battery and lifetime on the frame! No front suspension here but the oversized tires and wider bars (plus a seat shock) go a long way.

Chime in if you have any other questions, all of these bikes are great... some of the best actually, and I think you'll be happy with whatever you decide on. Pedego is building a neat community and you'll get awesome support if you buy straight from a dealer but they are a bit more. I've owned their Cruisers and used the City Commuter to get to work and back for over a year and really liked it.

It really comes down to your personal preferences but I'm glad to hear your friends are enjoying their ebikes. Whatever you decide, please drop back in and share once you've had a chance to use the bike some. I'd love to hear how it works out for you!

any update on the V2 version?
I am interested in the bike but not the V1 , with the V2 upgrade it looks like a good deal.
But I cannot find any official info other than a Youtube video and and launch in april 2014 ,, its allmost June now

any update on the V2 version?
I am interested in the bike but not the V1 , with the V2 upgrade it looks like a good deal.
But I cannot find any official info other than a Youtube video and and launch in april 2014 ,, its allmost June now
I've been keeping my eye out for these Andreas but no luck so far. Might have to wait until Interbike to see them. Haven't really heard that much about or from Polaris this year.

Hi!
I sent them a mail , and actually got a 2015 catalog with all the new models for Europe !
Vector is not mentioned anymore , now named "Rail" I think , also a bunch of other different models .
It is possible there are some name changes for Europe... Dealer agreements in Scandinavia within in next week they say ,
and launch in September. The launch part puzzles me.. autumn season starting here in September , launching now or April would have been the sweet spot.
The new models looks very nice indeed , from dune bikes to city...
I don't think there will much difference on US and EU version. If, it will probably be limits of power output by the software for EU versions
The pdf is 44Mb ... so if You mail them You probably get link to the US catalog :)
I got told that their facebook page will be updated on new info

September is a long wait for me , so i probably just go for a Motiv Shadow as an import stunt...Just have to find some info on the frame size since I am 6.4 tall

Unless they added fame sizes, the Motiv Shadow was only available in a MEDIUM frame.

fot Polaris, maybe the fall launch was to move the existing inventory out before the sale of the next and better model.

Unless they added fame sizes, the Motiv Shadow was only available in a MEDIUM frame.

fot Polaris, maybe the fall launch was to move the existing inventory out before the sale of the next and better model.

I agree with Brambor. The Motiv Shadow is a great bike, but I found the size to be too small for me and I am 6 '0". It's not that the frame is too small, the placement of the battery moves the seat post forward making the riding position feel somewhat cramped. If you have tried it and it works for you, go for it. It really is a great bike. Otherwise consider a Dash or Neo bike. These both have more advanced and a more natural feeling pedal assist when compared to the Shadow. The Shadow does feel more powerful though. Especially the 48 volt version.

Hello everyone,

Our 2015 line is now available, and all of the specs are available on our website, POLARISeBikes.com.

We apologize for leaving you in the dark about our V2 models, we have been working hard fine tuning them for the last few months.

Let me know if you have any questions!

I have a question please, If regen starts at 29 MPH , that mean on a long hill I will be slowed down whether I want to or not? if this is the case can I disable this part?

Mark

I have a question please, If regen starts at 29 MPH , that mean on a long hill I will be slowed down whether I want to or not? if this is the case can I disable this part?

Mark

Hi Mark,

If you are going down a hill and exceed the MPH of the ebike, regen will begin but will not slow you down. The only way that regen will slow you down is if you pedal backwards, and that is not matter what speed you are going.

On my Stromer when regen when begins it turns the motor into a generator and charges the battery. This creates a draw and slows the bike down. the bike goes into regen every time you use the rear brake (other methods too if you want ). It will say regen on the control panel but it actually only works when the battery is below 70% so not to over charge it. I have read where other counties have it this set up a little differently depending on either laws or some other reason but their regen started automatically also over a set speed and the user had no way to stop from kicking in. This would be a deal breaker for me, I want control of my bike's functions, the more the better but something that limits my speed is is more big brother and I have a real issue w/it.

The way I read the brochure and not comprehending your response still say the bike will start slowing down at 29 under all circumstances, can you explain a little better or thoroughly please?

Thanks

Mark

On my Stromer when regen when begins it turns the motor into a generator and charges the battery. This creates a draw and slows the bike down. the bike goes into regen every time you use the rear brake (other methods too if you want ). It will say regen on the control panel but it actually only works when the battery is below 70% so not to over charge it. I have read where other counties have it this set up a little differently depending on either laws or some other reason but their regen started automatically also over a set speed and the user had no way to stop from kicking in. This would be a deal breaker for me, I want control of my bike's functions, the more the better but something that limits my speed is is more big brother and I have a real issue w/it.

The way i read the brochure and not comprehending your response still say the bike will start slowing down at 29 under all circumstances, can you explain a little better please?

Mark,

What brochure are you reading if you don't mind me asking?

I will have to search for it, it was on line a week or 2 ago, and I am while I search though

The only way that regen will slow you down is if you pedal backwards, and that is not matter what speed you are going.

I didnt understand this sentence

I will have to search for it, it was on line a week or 2 ago, and I am while I search though

The only way that regen will slow you down is if you pedal backwards, and that is not matter what speed you are going.

I didnt understand this sentence
e

Our bikes regenerate power to the battery using 4 different methods. One method is by pedaling backwards, and this is the only method of regen that will slow you down. The method of regen when pedaling 29 MPH or more will not slow you down, you can continue going faster while the battery is in regenerating power.

having searched a few items, things have changed!

When I last saw they were 28 mph , now 25. To regen you do pedal backwards to get to regen, 1st i heard of that also. It does state in Arc regen tab that pedaling above 26 or 21 depending on model it will kick in automatically

Sorry, this post was late. It sat in the ready mode fora couple hours.... damn job gets in the way of my social life :)

to add to this though.. how can you generate any power and not take off some speed or added effort , nothing is free. Would go a little faster ( or a slight reduction in pedal power) w/o this program? and can I the owner /rider control it at all?

edit

How big is the battery? , how much do additional ones cost?

thx

Court-I spoke with a dealer about a bike to fit my needs-6', 270 lbs, recreational rider and he recommended either a Stromer ST2 or a Polaris because of the extra power. What do you think?

Back