worst ebike company ever.

mary hubert

...i threw away $1500 buying a front wheel hub system from Clean Republic...they were one of the worst companies i've ever had the displeasure of working with.....their products are made from the cheapest , worst materials, and you'll be lucky to get any customer support, they lied and cheated me....since this terrible expierence i have purchased a new front wheel system that works fantastic.....

Oh no! I first thought about converting a bike to an ebike but then decided it wouldn't work with my existing carbon fork hybrid.

Who did you end up going with for your front wheel hub that was fantastic?

Who did you end up going with for your front wheel hub that was fantastic?
Yeah @mary hubert, which kit did you buy that you liked? I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a great experience with Clean Republic. I've only ever ordered one of their kits and it worked out pretty well. They have been around for a long time but seem like a smaller company and maybe just dropped the ball with you :(

...i threw away $1500 buying a front wheel hub system from Clean Republic...they were one of the worst companies i've ever had the displeasure of working with.....their products are made from the cheapest , worst materials, and you'll be lucky to get any customer support, they lied and cheated me....since this terrible expierence i have purchased a new front wheel system that works fantastic.....
What company did you end up buying from, I'm interested to know?

Perhaps my next attempt at a conversion will be with Dillenger.
http://dillengerelectricbikes.com/electric-bike-kits.html
They seem to offer a simple and sophisticated complete package for a front hub set-up. Is this the company you went with?

I don't know how op spent $1500 on a Hilltopper kit, they cost $399 last fall when this was posted. They went up $100 this year, currently their most expensive kit is $1000. It's all the same kit just different wheel or battery size.

Last fall i bought a HT lithium kit for a third of what the above poster claims. I paid full retail + shipping. It has worked fine for 8 months. It's not powerful but it is light weight, simple, rugged.

The 15a controller pushes out 350 watts at 24 volts, 100 watts higher than advertised. I overvolted mine with a 36v battery. It now pushes 500+ watts with no issues.

OP says the materials are the cheapest but that is not accurate. Mine has a Bafang 8fun, stainless 13g spokes, wires are thick with 2 big barrel connectors that stay put. All high quality. Battery plug is a 70 amp Deans connector used on high-end RC planes and helicopters. Most other kits cost a lot more and use multiple flimsy bullet or anderson connectors that can come loose and short out.

The battery bag is super thick. Many US kits costing much more don't come with a battery bag. Chinese kits are cheaper but with no returns and shipping is over $100.

Like the OP i have issues with the slick advertising and snarky, boilerplate email if you order a kit and don't select their "rush shipping" extra $29 fee which is a ripoff as you already pay $36 for shipping. They also respond with slick emails if you have a request, but at least they get back to you and the shipping is a lot cheaper and faster than china.

Overall i've found the company as legit as any other ebike outfit in the price range, which is the low end. You can get more power cheaper, but the quality will be less than HT somewhere. All other ebike kit vendors i've seen are either slick with US mba marketing flack, or else cheap quality from a china vendor with no warranty.

I have two kits and they have worked great. I have had good service from them as well.
Maybe I got lucky with the product and the guy I spoke with on the phone...

I have two kits and they have worked great. I have had good service from them as well.
Maybe I got lucky with the product and the guy I spoke with on the phone...
Fisher, I wouldn't take the original post for gospel, the poster came here for one rant, posted it twice and never came back. They probably got the bad one experience and you doubled that with two good experiences! Ride on and welcome to EBR. We hope to read many more posts about your bikes and do share some pictures, we're simple folk and like pictures:)

Not sure which front wheel kit you got from Clean republic Mary but I had there hilltopper as a test with ideas of selling them myself . That kit was underwhelming for my needs in power and torque . We put it on an adult walmart trike for my senior parents , Mom has loved it for the past 5 years . The kits cost us about 200 us then . I think if I were going to invest over 1000 dollars I would go with a mid drive or rear hub .

I purchased their 24 volt and 36 volt kits recently and they work great for me. I found that their customer support and sales people knew their products well and were quick to respond to phone and email questions. If you want a very light weight solution then I would recommend them. The performance is really more about the bike you put it on imho. I personally don't need more than the 36 volt system as it hits the max speed of the bike in just a few seconds.

My first Clean Republic was a twenty four volt system about four years ago. Changed the front wheel on my 26 inch KHS bike. Used a twenty mile Lithium and ten mile Lithium battery setup. Easy to switch batteries. Maybe did about four thousand miles.
About eight months ago traded in for a Jamis 26 inch bike with a 350 watt Clean Republic motor and a forty mile Lithium and twenty mile Lithium battery setup.
I probably do about a hundred miles a week. Rail trails and local streets. Side bag allows food shopping. Seventy six years old.
Great company product. I hope someday they allow a separate controller and a way to use a different battery setup.

Rich

I find it suspect and strange that it's been 3 years and Mary Hubert (OP) never responded to anyone's replies and questions about her OP.
Anyway, I've owned a 350W 36v kit for about 3 years and 3K miles and never had one problem with my kit. I recently bought a foldable ebike from them and love that one too. I've personally have met the employees at Clean Republic (Hill Topper) in Seattle when I test rode the foldable bike and they've always been professional and friendly with great customer service. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. If anyone is interested I've made two video reviews about the kit and the foldable bike in the Clean Republic section on a thread here

RockstarBruski Youtube channel

Last edited:
Back