1 Month with 2020 Como 4.0

Brookfield boy

I purchased this bike about a month ago and have put about 240 miles on it so far. Overall I really enjoy the bike and am glad I purchased it. I agree with the review, but I have a couple of additional notes I would like to add.

One difference in the 2020 model year, from previous years, is that at higher speeds the bike does not give as much assistance. At my bike shop, they had the previous model year and this 2020 model. I could easily get to 28 miles an hour on the previous years model going uphill. This model, using the same amount of effort got me to about 24-25 miles an hour. I had the sales guy try it and he agreed with me. The LBS contacted Specialized and Specialized eventually admitted they had re-tuned it and the Vado. They said it was to improve range for the battery. Also, they said something about how it helped the motor, because having the motor constantly kick in and out between 28 and 29 miles per hour was hard on it. This is all second hand from what the sales guy told me that they told him. At first I was really frustrated by this news and almost didn't buy the bike. I don't care about range; I bike about 9 miles to work and I can charge at work. I do care about taking good care of the motor however. If it means I have to bike harder to go faster in order to help my motor last longer - I ultimately don't have a problem with that.

An issue I'm having with this particular bike is that sometimes I can feel a vibration in the peddles when I push hard. At first this was just at higher speeds and now it is happening at lower speeds. I have contacted specialized and they are working with my LBS to try to see what is going on.

Overall, I love the bike! I commute to work on it, go grocery shopping with it, run errands, it's great! I REALLY like the new display and everything you can do with it! It even sends all my data to Strava automatically, and accounts for just how much effort I put into moving the bike! I added a strong rack (110 lbs weight limit) to the back, and a mirror on the end of the handlebars because I'm going so fast. I was tempted by the Vado, but I'm much more comfortable in the Como.

Interesting info about the tuning of the 2020 models.
I have a 2020 Vado 5.0 with the 1.3 motor (Brose S) and I can’t say it feels stronger than the 4.0 with 1.2 motor (Brose T) I had last year. My bike is a European model so power cuts out at 15.5 - 16mph and reaching that speed is no problem.
The range I’ve achieved has surprised me. The new tuning can be the explanation.
I’ve been trying to find the support level settings ( Support and Peak power) for Eco mode on last years model but have not succeded. Maybe there are other things in the latest RX street tune that gives better range.

I have been struggling between the 2020 Como 4.0 and 5.0 is the 5.0 worth the extra $$.
Then after receiving a sales special email from Evelo I have started looking into the Evelo Aurora Fully Loaded (warranty and service is supposed to be excellent).

I have been struggling between the 2020 Como 4.0 and 5.0 is the 5.0 worth the extra $$.
Then after receiving a sales special email from Evelo I have started looking into the Evelo Aurora Fully Loaded (warranty and service is supposed to be excellent).
When I ride the 4.0, I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I know the power assist is less at higher speeds then last year, because I rode on last year's bike. I wouldn't normally feel like the bike is under-powered. If you can ride the 4.0 and the 5.0 in a direct comparison, try riding at 25 mph or higher, and see if the larger motor and battery in the 5.0 make any difference. As far as the Evelo goes, I'm not personally familiar with them. The raw specks of battery and motor look good. You will also want to compare the components and the build of the bikes (and their reliability history). Some bikes have great motor and battery specks, but they can have other issues you may not like. I really like the feel and build of Specialized. I also like that my bike shop sells and services them.

Had my low step Turbo Como 5 for a month. Love at first ride. Tooling around Moab’s roads and paths. Longest ride -out to Dinosaur Museum - was 28 miles. Have 330 miles already. Had the fenders left off. Proved handy for rear wheeling bike 4 blocks for a flat. New Stan’s flat seal in tubes. Good luck. You should love your Como. I’m 12 again, 7 weeks after heart attack, and 74.

Attachments

• BCA306E3-30A7-4237-985D-657DAAF136D5.jpeg
    BCA306E3-30A7-4237-985D-657DAAF136D5.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 478
New Como 5. Stellar Bike. Seriously Fun. Bought a Kuat rack to haul it. Secure Support for 2 60 pound bikes. Spendy but seriously well thought out. Fits my F150 great. Weighs about same as a Como, 47 pounds or so.

I seriously considered the Aurora Limited, but the weight of the bike at 72 lbs was a concern. So i went with the Como 5. Haven't has it long enough to review.

So i went with the Como 5. Haven't has it long enough to review.
After having shortly tested Como 5.0, I made a female friend of mine buy it. I'm sure she will be delighted when the Spring comes! Congratulations on your purchase David!

Back