Hitch rack for Superdelite with fenders?

CyclingDan

Region
USA
What works? It’s a heavy expensive bike, and I don’t want to take off the fenders, what rack works with this bike?

What works? It’s a heavy expensive bike, and I don’t want to take off the fenders, what rack works with this bike?
CyclingDan! There's a few that'll work great. Personally I'm a big fan of the Kuat Piston Pro, the quick release closure system (similar to 1up) is easily the easiest system especially when handling a dual battery bike! Plus it doesn't contact the frame either! A bit of a premium price but Kuat has a lifetime warranty with incredible support! Happy to answer more q's if ya like!

CyclingDan! There's a few that'll work great. Personally I'm a big fan of the Kuat Piston Pro, the quick release closure system (similar to 1up) is easily the easiest system especially when handling a dual battery bike! Plus it doesn't contact the frame either! A bit of a premium price but Kuat has a lifetime warranty with incredible support! Happy to answer more q's if ya like!
It’ll work with full length fenders?

Unfortunately, there just aren’t many options for heavy bikes with fenders.

I just picked up a Thule EasyFold. Haven’t had a chance to try it yet, but reviews are good and I like that it packs down very small when storing in the garage. It does not fold as compact as others when still on the vehicle, which doesn’t concern me much as I have a relatively short vehicle.

Various options are listed here- https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Bike_Racks-co-Electric_Bikes-tw-Frame_Mount.aspx

The HighNoon FC Solo is ‘fender ready’, but max weight is 60 lbs. I put my Superdelite sans batteries on my Park scale which maxes at 55 lbs and it went overrange. Spec is around 70 lbs.

Unfortunately, there just aren’t many options for heavy bikes with fenders.

I just picked up a Thule EasyFold. Haven’t had a chance to try it yet, but reviews are good and I like that it packs down very small when storing in the garage. It does not fold as compact as others when still on the vehicle, which doesn’t concern me much as I have a relatively short vehicle.

Various options are listed here- https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Bike_Racks-co-Electric_Bikes-tw-Frame_Mount.aspx
I use the Thule Easyfold on my Nevo 3, which has fenders and is heavy. It works very well and Thule stood behind their product when I had a problem. The clamp fastens to the seat tube and holds it securely.

Reactions: CLR
It’ll work with full length fenders?

Yep, sure will! They have a fender kit that's basically two straps for the rear wheel that prevents it from spinning, pretty slick!

We sell the Easyfolds too, personally I transport carbon bikes too and there ain't no way I'm clamping down on a carbon bike. Also I prefer to have the rack fold flush with the vehicle, IMO.

They have a fender kit that's basically two straps for the rear wheel that prevents it from spinning
So I looked this up to see what it means. It means you set the clamp bar low enough to avoid the fender (below the recommended 45 degree point because of fenders, but I assume still above the axle midline). You still use the clamp arm (I guess for lateral stability) but the "kit" is velcro straps to hold the wheel down (which the arm can't do because of the low engagement point) and keep it from rotating to climb over the bar.

If you have something with long fenders (e.g. Tero X) then this probably doesn't work because the bar would have to be below the axle and now the only thing holding the rear down is velcro straps.

i use a Kuate Sherpa 2.0 and works great for me but i ride a Specialized Turbo Vado & vado Sl. The rack weight limit is 90 t0 100lb

Attachments

• 20220611_162806.jpg
    20220611_162806.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 249
I use a Quikrstuff Mach 2 for my Delite. It works fine with the rear fender. The cross bit thingy can be adjusted to tuck up a bit underneath it and it's totally secure. For extra-safe backup, get one or two of the locks they sell with it (they go through the wheels and the bars).

Looks like they have a 6-week backlog on orders, but it's less than I waited for mine. The thing is so easy to put on and take off, no tools needed, and it folds up easy to store in the box it came in. I love it and it was worth the wait (and the price).

IMG_7033.jpeg

I use a Quikrstuff Mach 2 for my Delite. It works fine with the rear fender. The cross bit thingy can be adjusted to tuck up a bit underneath it and it's totally secure. For extra-safe backup, get one or two of the locks they sell with it (they go through the wheels and the bars).

Looks like they have a 6-week backlog on orders, but it's less than I waited for mine. The thing is so easy to put on and take off, no tools needed, and it folds up easy to store in the box it came in. I love it and it was worth the wait (and the price).

View attachment 154817
Bike looks great 😍

I have the yakima onramp for two ride1up cruisers, 65# each, with fenders. It has some quirks i don’t like, but it is a well made rack, very sturdy. I have no qualms about it holding my bikes.

My Kuat NV 2.0 works great with fenders. Have traveled cross-country 4 times. Easy on — easy off. Very stable.
.View attachment 154933
That's exactly how I travel with my fendered bikes but it's worth mentioning that you'll want to run a strap around the "hook" and rim as well as the wheel and wheel tray to prevent the wheel from "walking" in the tray and potentially letting the bike fall off.

All that said the Piston Pro is better in every way.

That's exactly how I travel with my fendered bikes but it's worth mentioning that you'll want to run a strap around the "hook" and rim as well as the wheel and wheel tray to prevent the wheel from "walking" in the tray and potentially letting the bike fall off.

All that said the Piston Pro is better in every way.
No argument from me. Kuat’s Piston Pro was not available when I bought my NV. I suggested to Kuat for 2 yrs to add lights but they said no. But now they do. I added my own light bar.
IMG_5288.jpeg

View attachment 154817

Looks very similar to my 1up hitch. Simple, strong and made in the USA!! I think the Quickstuff racks are a little more $$ than 1 UP if I recall.

Looks very similar to my 1up hitch. Simple, strong and made in the USA!! I think the Quickstuff racks are a little more $$ than 1 UP if I recall.
Yes, Quikr one was invented by the same guy who did the 1Up - and yeah, I think it's a bit pricier too! But there are some nice tweaks he made to his design that could be worth it.

Back