Known Issues & Problems with Ride1Up Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

troehrkasse

EBR Webmaster
Region
USA
City
Fort Collins
No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Ride1Up as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Last edited:
I read a comment from another ride-1up customer on a different forum that he incurred some broken spokes on the drive wheel. As part of your assembly check out, you might want to get a spoke wrench and make sure none of them are loose or wiggling.

It takes some experience to true a wheel, but it requires none to fix spokes that are loose. Just snug them up if you find them.

Looks like a good buy. Hope you enjoy it!

I wanted to post this here again as a reminder - @harryS comment from one of the many threads for Ride1Up...

I installed a Bafang hub drive on our ROLL and after 150 miles or so several spokes were quite loose. The spoke nipples are larger than a regular bike so stop in your LBS and get a spoke wrench that fits.
Check all your spokes on a regular basis, especially when new as some seating and mating of the connect points takes place and can make the spokes loose. This especially exacerbated with greater rider weight - 180 and up to capacity is going to accelerate the wearing in process and spokes are bound to loosen.

If your spokes get loose then they work too much and can actually break. So this is likely preventable. Additionally, don't over-tighten as you can crack the nipple hole in the rim - so just keep an eye on everything and keep it tuned up, or drop the bike to a shop if you can't do it yourself. The tap-tap-tap ting-sound of spoke tuning is an easy thing to learn - you can easily hear the thud from a loose one. Give it a quarter turn and tap it again - all spokes should sound fairly close to the same. You also don't want to over-tighten or you'll pull the rim out of true. I have never had a rim go out of true from maintaining spoke tune.

I wanted to post this here again as a reminder - @harryS comment from one of the many threads for Ride1Up...

I installed a Bafang hub drive on our ROLL and after 150 miles or so several spokes were quite loose. The spoke nipples are larger than a regular bike so stop in your LBS and get a spoke wrench that fits.
Check all your spokes on a regular basis, especially when new as some seating and mating of the connect points takes place and can make the spokes loose. This especially exacerbated with greater rider weight - 180 and up to capacity is going to accelerate the wearing in process and spokes are bound to loosen.

If your spokes get loose then they work too much and can actually break. So this is likely preventable. Additionally, don't over-tighten as you can crack the nipple hole in the rim - so just keep an eye on everything and keep it tuned up, or drop the bike to a shop if you can't do it yourself. The tap-tap-tap ting-sound of spoke tuning is an easy thing to learn - you can easily hear the thud from a loose one. Give it a quarter turn and tap it again - all spokes should sound fairly close to the same. You also don't want to over-tighten or you'll pull the rim out of true. I have never had a rim go out of true from maintaining spoke tune.

Would you mind if we used some of your post here to share with owners? It is very helpful indeed.

Would you mind if we used some of your post here to share with owners? It is very helpful indeed.

Of course. Free info on the interwebs. 😇
But I dunno, a lot of people just don't have the inclination to tinker with anything. And park tool instruction vids advise the use of a tension-ometer to make sure you're getting what you want. Everybody wants to make things more complicated than they need to be. If your spoke is loose, tighten it, right??? LOL

Of course. Free info on the interwebs. 😇
But I dunno, a lot of people just don't have the inclination to tinker with anything. And park tool instruction vids advise the use of a tension-ometer to make sure you're getting what you want. Everybody wants to make things more complicated than they need to be. If your spoke is loose, tighten it, right??? LOL
Thank you! We will list park tool tension, but I like the idea of sound tension, and just the reminder to check.

When you get your new 700's in we would like to come try them out. I would have bought one over a Aventon but they were still in production.
We got a leftover Giant Amiti E+ instead.

When you get your new 700's in we would like to come try them out. I would have bought one over a Aventon but they were still in production.
I know. Major production woes over here. Frustrating times, but we are working to not let this happen again. Definitely come for a test ride. -Kevin

Check out Dost ebikes and Biktrix juggernaut classic as other options.
Good luck.

Hey folks, hopefully this is the correct place to ask this... I have not been able to reset my trip odometer on my Core5 despite viewing the manual for the display. It indicates pushing both up and down arrows to reset, but is unclear at what point in the menus you should perform that action. I can't seem to figure it out- has anyone else been able to reset? Would greatly appreciate any info/instructions/links:)

I have the 700 but try this anyway, when in normal display mode, pressing + & - brings a menu, display menu is where you can reset. If you want to reset the LCD to factory defaults, in the normal display, pressing both "on" & - at the same time, resets to default settings. But the total trips keeps adding up.

Appreciate the effort, Sir. Unfortunately following your direction with this model display (Apt 500s-u) does not seem to bring up that menu. The unit does behave in an essentially similar way as your display, but the menus/button sequences are just different enough to cause issues. With no tutorials online, Ride1Up is going to send a kd21c display used on the 500 to replace it (kind of a bummer since the 500s-u is nice, compact design with what seem very durable buttons.) Still can't believe that I'm the only one who can't figure this out...

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Ride1Up as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.
We have a Ride1up 500. Delivered in July. Had a bike mechanic check everything especially gears and brakes before riding first time. My son really likes the bike and has ridden it several times. Today, while riding on the bike path, his chain came off the front ring and he went down. He and the bike are both ok. He was not going fast, only about 12-15 mph. The shifting seems fine. I think he was in third gear and he was not shifting when the chain came off. My bike has a chain guide on both sides of chain ring near crank. His bike has a guide one one side. Ideas to prevent this rom happening again ? Add a mountain bike style chain guard ? Not sure it will fit on tube but willing to try.

With no tutorials online, Ride1Up is going to send a kd21c display used on the 500 to replace it (kind of a bummer since the 500s-u is nice, compact design with what seem very durable buttons.) Still can't believe that I'm the only one who can't figure this out...
I would much prefer the KD21C since you can tweak the power levels with it. You can tone down the overly powerful PAS 1 on the Core-5 that people complain about. Also, it's what will be on future shipments of the Core-5. The product page is updated with that info was well.

I would much prefer the KD21C since you can tweak the power levels with it. You can tone down the overly powerful PAS 1 on the Core-5 that people complain about. Also, it's what will be on future shipments of the Core-5. The product page is updated with that info was well.
Yes, looks like they've given up on the 500s-u. Finally installed the kd21c, and it's a relief to be able to access all the settings. You are correct about ability to tone down thrust- I've done it by shifting to 9 levels and adjusting percentage to 10% on pas1- moving to 95% on pas9.

Latest prob is that the battery indicator behaves very differently with this display- first power bar lasts 14 miles and the next three blink out within another 6 miles total. After a 'recovery' period, bars go way up again. With 5 levels on the 500s-u, the battery power bars would last right about 6 miles each using pas1 or 2.

I've been unable to find much useful info online regarding this, and would certainly appreciate any thoughts from people- although I'm getting less certain this is the correct forum to ask these questions- Newbie worries. I thought perhaps voltage settings had something to do with the problem, so set them from this chart for 48v batteries that I found elsewhere- all credit to original poster...
48v-nominal.jpg

Actually wound up setting voltage values to the chart below I found posted by Ride1Up for a 700 issue. Also adjusted delay time to 12s . The battery indicator behaves normally now, the milage intervals make sense- and I can reset the damn trip odometer! This smells like a solved problem. Credit to Ride1up for providing a kd21c display, though the process took awhile, and I had to delve deeper into my bike than I wanted...
116880337_10157837143784055_4630385046745349819_n.jpg

Actually, there's a 27.5" setting in the display that was sent to me- that voltage chart image looks to be from a kd218 display. As far as the speedometer goes, I would think you're correct- prob counts rev/second(?) and calculates based on designated wheel size.

I have 28 on mine... I also have the cruise control instead of the walk mode. Mine was part of a batch in early spring (April)

Back