Zip ties may cripple or kill you

iskjone

Zip ties are one of the greatest inventions like duct tape, WD40 and sliced bread but beware because they will slice thru bare skin like a razor. Zip ties are a favorite temp fix among cyclist because of their light weight and strength but one almost sliced thru my Achilles’ tendon when I dumped my eBike. If you’re using Zipties that have sniped off tails please pay careful attention to where you use them on your bike. It’s like attaching razor blades to your frame.

I didn’t take a photo at time of dump and now, two weeks later, the cut just isn’t dramatic enough to post. I was leaving my home for a quick ride and noticed that my rear blinking tail light was dead. I didn’t want to wait an hour to charge it up so I grabbed a orange cycle safety flag, on a fiberglass pole, and quickly zip tied it my rear rack. At the top of my drive I stopped to check the mailbox and, without thinking, swung my leg out over the rear rack to dismount. (Totally forgetting I now have a fiberglass pole attached to the rack jutting up another three feet. My leg caught the pole so bike and rider come clashing down on the road’s shoulder. I was embarrassed for being such an idiot until I noticed the pool of blood forming under my right ankle. Your right StmbtDave, a picture would have been cool to include. I’ll try to remember that next time.

Back