Yamaha YPJ-MT Pro

shiruba

Hello,

I visited a bike show a number of months back and saw a prototype/concept bike from Yamaha which I thought looked really cool, down to 80s styling.

Unfortunately they didn't keep that exact styling, but fortunately they did release it:

Even more interestingly, perhaps, I saw that they are selling essentially the same bike outside of japan (albeit with a strange name):

I already have an eMountain bike, so I was considering buying a commuter type bike instead... but I just couldn't resist, so I placed an order for this thing.
(I don't have a car, and I have been working at home 4 days per week during the pandemic... so I can spend a little more on toys I suppose).

It looks like they are seriously backordered, and so I probably won't receive it until January - but given that it isn't the cheapest piece of kit, I will do my best to review it, for those of you who may be interested.
Disclaimer: I ride on both trails and the street - but I don't do crazy 15 meter jumps or anything like that.

I can't speak for the models being sold overseas, but for the one being sold in Japan, the assist will be limited to 24kph since it is being marketed and less as an Ebike. For anything faster, it would be classified as a motorcycle.

I'm sure there will be tuning kits to remove the limit, but that would make it illegal to use on public roads in Japan, unless you also add mirrors, buy insurance, get a number plate, etc. Kind of a pain.

I do have such an Ebike already, but I don't often use it.

Yes I saw that motor listed on their foreign site. It seems to be marketed towards "speed pedelecs" in Europe, but would presumably also be okay to use in California. (technically it is okay in Japan, but only for things classified as mopeds /motorcycles).

I don't see that this is being offered for the Moro, though, and certainly not for the ypj-mt pro.

Hello,

I visited a bike show a number of months back and saw a prototype/concept bike from Yamaha which I thought looked really cool, down to 80s styling.

Unfortunately they didn't keep that exact styling, but fortunately they did release it:

Even more interestingly, perhaps, I saw that they are selling essentially the same bike outside of japan (albeit with a strange name):

I already have an eMountain bike, so I was considering buying a commuter type bike instead... but I just couldn't resist, so I placed an order for this thing.
(I don't have a car, and I have been working at home 4 days per week during the pandemic... so I can spend a little more on toys I suppose).

It looks like they are seriously backordered, and so I probably won't receive it until January - but given that it isn't the cheapest piece of kit, I will do my best to review it, for those of you who may be interested.
Disclaimer: I ride on both trails and the street - but I don't do crazy 15 meter jumps or anything like that.
Interesting marketing campaign... now I understand the inspiration for the paint scheme... looks to be available only in Japan! ;)
A Beautiful design... looking forward to your review of the YPJ-YZ once you receive the bike.

1606703343198.png
1606703432659.png

Last edited:
Hello,

Very cool and well equipped bikes indeed. The YDX here in N/A was only available in a hard tail for awhile until they finally released it in a full suspension version. Love the color schemes they are using on the YPJ-YZ! Good selling point IMO! Good Luck with your purchase!

It has the Yamaha PW-X2 motor, that's all that matters.

Check out this thread :https://electricbikereview.com/foru...full-suspension-electric-mountain-bike.36106/

Here it is 4499$ /5499$ , what's the price in 🇯🇵 ?
Q- Does "Moro" has any Meaning in Japan or for Yamaha ?
Hmm the MSRP is 600000 jpy. Plus sales tax. Some places will sell it cheaper for sure, but since they are already sold out, I don't think there will be a lot of price pressure yet. If you buy from Yodobashi, you will get 10% points, which is enough to negate the sales tax at least.

The non-pro version is not for sale here.

Moro could mean a number of things, but the Japanese model is not using that name.

Btw things I like/dislike about this model based on the spec sheet compared with my panasonic xm-d2:

Pros:
-display unit shows your pedaling input in watts and can share this to your Garmin unit via Bluetooth
-has usb output for charging
-unique frame design

Cons:
-Battery is not as easily removable, needs undoing two bolts each time
-Battery has no key (probably okay in Japan..)
-No built in light

Unknown :
-different rear shock location

Btw I received a mail saying they got this in sick more quickly than expected, and it should be shipping this month.

Wow, it's already assembled, shipped and on the way. Given that shipping in Japan is pretty fast, it should easily be here this week.
Sadly I won't have much time to play with it this week, except I might use it for my weekly commute to Kawasaki on Thursday night.
Notes:
Like the XM-D2, it has no kick stand or bottle cage bolts. Since I have already tackled these for the XM-D2, I can use the same methods:
1. I use these hose clamp things to get the bottle cage bolts (which I use for a GPS tracker... AltorLock)
2. I use a used to use the "Peg Leg" stand, but that probably won't work on the MT Pro because the ThruAxel does not have a lever that sticks out. I should be able to use my modified Topeak Fat stand, though. (Here, "Modified" means strengthened with liberal application of epoxy until I can order a metal 3d printed custom stand).
3. The XM-D2 has a light, but I wanted a brighter one, so I use the Knog PWR light with the extension kit. I don't think the extension kit will work well on this bike due to the twin frame design, and the position of the rear shock - but it appears to have no built in light at all, so I might just mount the thing to the handlebars directly. (The light came with a mount for that - if I can find it).

The thing I am most interested to see is the feel of the suspension vs. my other bike, given the very different mounting. I have also heard that Yamaha and Panasonic motors have a very different characteristic - though that is probably subjective. Assuming it comes before the weekend, I will take it to the bike park on the weekend and see how it stacks up.

Wow, it's already assembled, shipped and on the way. Given that shipping in Japan is pretty fast, it should easily be here this week.
Sadly I won't have much time to play with it this week, except I might use it for my weekly commute to Kawasaki on Thursday night. Notes:
Like the XM-D2, it has no kick stand or bottle cage bolts. Since I have already tackled these for the XM-D2, I can use the same methods:
1. I use these hose clamp things to get the bottle cage bolts (which I use for a GPS tracker... AltorLock)
2. I use a used to use the "Peg Leg" stand, but that probably won't work on the MT Pro because the ThruAxel does not have a lever that sticks out. I should be able to use my modified Topeak Fat stand, though. (Here, "Modified" means strengthened with liberal application of epoxy until I can order a metal 3d printed custom stand).
3. The XM-D2 has a light, but I wanted a brighter one, so I use the Knog PWR light with the extension kit. I don't think the extension kit will work well on this bike due to the twin frame design, and the position of the rear shock - but it appears to have no built in light at all, so I might just mount the thing to the handlebars directly. (The light came with a mount for that - if I can find it).
The thing I am most interested to see is the feel of the suspension vs. my other bike, given the very different mounting. I have also heard that Yamaha and Panasonic motors have a very different characteristic - though that is probably subjective. Assuming it comes before the weekend, I will take it to the bike park on the weekend and see how it stacks up.
Congratulations on your new Yamaha YPJ-MT Pro! ;)
Let us know when you receive it and how you like the ride.

1607278257757.png

Ha ha ha, this is the first time I ordered a bike and it got delivered in a box!
View attachment 73647

Congrats 🎉🥇 , I think that you're also the first on Ebr who gets the YPJ-MT PRO( Yamaha Japan Mountain ? Pro 😉, or YDX-MORO PRO

Did they actually ship the box like that with the cut out ? Take pictures just in case . I never seen a bike box shipped like that.

Maybe they ran out of the proper boxes due to the virus ??

That is exactly as the bike shop shipped out. I think Yamaha shipped it to the bike shop in a more compact firm. The bike shop put in the batteries and wheels and stuff and shipped it to me.

That is exactly as the bike shop shipped out. I think Yamaha shipped it to the bike shop in a more compact firm. The bike shop put in the batteries and wheels and stuff and shipped it to me.
Sounds like full service with the bike being built in advance. ;)

BTW:

Delivery Time:

Quick test ride to see how fast I can drain the battery in extra power mode:

First Impressions:

Bear in mind, I haven't have time to really put this thing through it's paces yet.

BTW: Delivery Time: Quick test ride to see how fast I can drain the battery in extra power mode: First Impressions:
Bear in mind, I haven't have time to really put this thing through it's paces yet.
You have a beautiful bike... thanks for sharing your blog. ;)
How long does it take to remove the battery for charging?

Back