Yamaha Cross Core 20 mph limit

Jetsfan901

Took my new cross core to the local velodrome and did some laps. Seems like the motor turns off before I reach the 20 mph limit. I was only getting up to about 19 1/2 miles an hour, and even for that, it took a lot of my exertion. Basically the same speed that I have ridden my analog Specialized Allez, which I do realize weighs a lot less, but I was hoping to be able to at least reach 20 mph without so much exertion. I did reach 20mph, but just for a few seconds.

I have a similar problem with my Bosch Gen 4 motor. My speedo is off by approximately 1 mph (1.7km), so my motor cuts out at 19mph.

I guess it is not really a big deal. I should have spent the extra money and bought the Cervante that limits at 28mph. I did a 50 mile ride on the bike, and I was finally able to get up a hill that I couldn't do on my analog bike. As a matter of fact, I passed by 4 or 5 people walking their bikes up the hill.

I live in Canada, which has a 20mph (32kph) max. My motor cuts out at 19mph, which is a real PITA, because I often ride at, or around, that speed.

Took my new cross core to the local velodrome and did some laps. Seems like the motor turns off before I reach the 20 mph limit. I was only getting up to about 19 1/2 miles an hour, and even for that, it took a lot of my exertion. Basically the same speed that I have ridden my analog Specialized Allez, which I do realize weighs a lot less, but I was hoping to be able to at least reach 20 mph without so much exertion. I did reach 20mph, but just for a few seconds.
That sounds about right with the motor cutting power around 19mph... it feels like hitting a limit before you reach 20 mph in most eBikes. ;)
Take a look at the speed de-limiters available for Yamaha motors... lots of options to restore power at higher speeds... perfect for the velodrome!

That sounds about right with the motor cutting power around 19mph... it feels like hitting a limit before you reach 20 mph in most eBikes. ;)
Take a look at the speed de-limiters available for Yamaha motors... lots of options to restore power at higher speeds... perfect for the velodrome!

Thanks. Something I will definitely look into. A lot cheaper then switching up to the Cervante..

Just went on their site and I don't believe they have one available for the PW-SE motor yet. Wrote to them to see if hopefully one in the near future.
Thanks again for their info .

Speed boxes don't work with Yamahas. Know many people who have tried on the Yamaha brand ebikes, came away disappointed, and out the money they spent for one. It will also void your nice 3 year motor and battery warranty. (though they might work with Yamaha's motors on other brands of ebikes, but that's because those brands use 3rd party control software that probably dont have the same proprietary software. The OEM is doing this to protect you from doing stupid stuff to your controller and motor. ) Frankly they are all pretty stupid concepts bc you not only lose the warranty, and speed indication, but you also run the risk of over-amping the controller, blowing that out, and Yamaha and the dealer both will know right away you put a speed box on it, due to the software they use that records the last parts of every ride. Its also not a cheap repair to have the controller replaced in Yamaha mid drive. We've seen this discussed over and over again on the forum for years on how these mid drives slow down approaching 20 mph.

Crazy the topic keeps getting brought up over and over again. So buyer beware and buy what you really think you need from the outset, as these 20 mph mid drives all have the tendency to feel like they are not assisting all the way up to 20 mph. That said, I have yet to ride a CrossCore or CrossConnect or Urban Rush that did not assist solidly up to 21 mph.

Personally I would never want to buy an ebike that has a 20 mph limit, and its not because I want to ride at 28 mph, but my general ride cadence, and what I prefer to do in terms of gaining momentum before going up a hill, puts me at speeds higher than 20 mph. On an ebike, I like to cruise right around 22 to 23 mph on flats, because it gets my heart rate up where I want it, and I can feel enough in my legs to get the work out I want. On a regular bike I didn't need to get to that 23 mph speed, since I was doing all the work. I'd get the work out I wanted doing 16 to 18 mph on a regular (non electric) bike. If wanted to just relax and have fun, I'd hang below 15 mph, since wind has less of an effect, and the impact of wind is non-linear. (an exponential force function as you increase speed. Btw, if it wasn't, there would not be enough 'lift' for airplanes to exist.)

Speed boxes don't work with Yamahas. Know many people who have tried on the Yamaha brand ebikes, came away disappointed, and out the money they spent for one. It will also void your nice 3 year motor and battery warranty. (though they might work with Yamaha's motors on other brands of ebikes, but that's because those brands use 3rd party control software that probably dont have the same proprietary software. The OEM is doing this to protect you from doing stupid stuff to your controller and motor. ) Frankly they are all pretty stupid concepts bc you not only lose the warranty, and speed indication, but you also run the risk of over-amping the controller, blowing that out, and Yamaha and the dealer both will know right away you put a speed box on it, due to the software they use that records the last parts of every ride. Its also not a cheap repair to have the controller replaced in Yamaha mid drive. We've seen this discussed over and over again on the forum for years on how these mid drives slow down approaching 20 mph.

Crazy the topic keeps getting brought up over and over again. So buyer beware and buy what you really think you need from the outset, as these 20 mph mid drives all have the tendency to feel like they are not assisting all the way up to 20 mph. That said, I have yet to ride a CrossCore or CrossConnect or Urban Rush that did not assist solidly up to 21 mph.

Personally I would never want to buy an ebike that has a 20 mph limit, and its not because I want to ride at 28 mph, but my general ride cadence, and what I prefer to do in terms of gaining momentum before going up a hill, puts me at speeds higher than 20 mph. On an ebike, I like to cruise right around 22 to 23 mph on flats, because it gets my heart rate up where I want it, and I can feel enough in my legs to get the work out I want. On a regular bike I didn't need to get to that 23 mph speed, since I was doing all the work. I'd get the work out I wanted doing 16 to 18 mph on a regular (non electric) bike. If wanted to just relax and have fun, I'd hang below 15 mph, since wind has less of an effect, and the impact of wind is non-linear. (an exponential force function as you increase speed. Btw, if it wasn't, there would not be enough 'lift' for airplanes to exist.)
Thanks for the info. I basically bought the ebike to get to work and will use my Specialized analog bike for my real workout. Just would have been nice to have some more speed on the velodrome, but that is on me for skimping on some money and taking the cross core over the Cervante..Did a 50 mile ride on the Yamaha today around NYC, and getting more used to it and really enjoyed the boost of power when I needed it..

Just went on their site and I don't believe they have one available for the PW-SE motor yet. Wrote to them to see if hopefully one in the near future.
Thanks again for their info .
I can confirm that the BadA$$ Box works on both of my Yamaha EBikes with the PW-X and SE motors... it really transforms the ride. ;)

Badass Box 4 for Yamaha – Compatibility
E Bikes with Yamaha drive systems (mid-mounted engines): PW (Powerdrive), PW-X, PW-SE, Yamaha SyncDrive.

1605061597669.png

I have the same problem. I'm a little bummed about that. I would like more assistance and higher speed support. I am a big Yamaha motorcycle fan and don't know much about ebikes, but would like to learn more

Back