XPedition feedback: good design, bad execution

paulfg

Region
USA
Hello

Got my xpedition a few weeks ago.
Came with a flat tube, had to push it to the bike shop for repairs
(the one closest to me did not want to service ebikes).

First weeks: great design, fairly compact to move it out of the basement, good torque to move up San Francisco hills, really steady thanks to small wheels and low center of gravity.
Only design flaw was the orbital rear rack for my 4y old kid: holding the outside tube was extremely dangerous (falls or just dragging against a wall means severe damage to fingers) so I installed a bar in the middle of the rack.
Also the lack of spring to keep the front wheel from moving when loading is a bit annoying.
And the folding stem easily gets loose, creating a very bad feeling. Need to be tightened. I would have preferred a non folding stem.

Now it won't start. Had to push and pedal back home with my kid on it.
It's insanely heavy without a motor.
Lectric support suspects the panel is broken.
They sent a replacement panel by mistake that is not compatible with this bike.
And now they don't have the correct panel in stock anymore,
will have to wait a month at least (total since bike is broken) before being able to repair it.

Conclusion: good design, bad execution.
They seem overwhelmed and can't handle support anymore.
Only buy if you don't need it and have time (weeks) for repairs.

thanks, paul

Hello

Got my xpedition a few weeks ago.
Came with a flat tube, had to push it to the bike shop for repairs
(the one closest to me did not want to service ebikes).

First weeks: great design, fairly compact to move it out of the basement, good torque to move up San Francisco hills, really steady thanks to small wheels and low center of gravity.
Only design flaw was the orbital rear rack for my 4y old kid: holding the outside tube was extremely dangerous (falls or just dragging against a wall means severe damage to fingers) so I installed a bar in the middle of the rack.
Also the lack of spring to keep the front wheel from moving when loading is a bit annoying.
And the folding stem easily gets loose, creating a very bad feeling. Need to be tightened. I would have preferred a non folding stem.

Now it won't start. Had to push and pedal back home with my kid on it.
It's insanely heavy without a motor.
Lectric support suspects the panel is broken.
They sent a replacement panel by mistake that is not compatible with this bike.
And now they don't have the correct panel in stock anymore,
will have to wait a month at least (total since bike is broken) before being able to repair it.

Conclusion: good design, bad execution.
They seem overwhelmed and can't handle support anymore.
Only buy if you don't need it and have time (weeks) for repairs.

thanks, paul
Paul, I welcome you to the forum.

I don't think the orbitor rack was designed for a toddler of 4 years old. A kiddie seat is likely more appropriate. The Lectric Orbitor Rack web page states "A passenger incapable of riding a bike on their own should not ride as a passenger. Use your best judgment as a parent or guardian to keep a child or an adult passenger and the rider safe."

As most of us have found out, the first maintenance item to learn how to do yourself is fix a flat. It is pretty simple to replace a tube. You only need to carry a tube, adjustable wrench and a couple tire levers. You will have a flat again and it will usually happen out riding. You already know what a pain it is hoofing an ebike with a flat tire is. The other option is to carry a really good bike lock so you can leave the bike somewhere then walk back on your own. Probably not a good idea in the bay area though.

There will be many things you'll decide to change on your bike to customize it to your liking. The handle bar stem is pretty easy to replace with a fixed one, just watch a few YouTube videos on the subject and make sure you order the correct size. You'll likely need to replace the handle bar to a "riser" bar as well.

I'm not familiar with the expedition but it sounds like Lectric did not use a double leg kickstand that most cargo bikes come with. I would definitely switch to one in a cargo bike, that is a better solution to the spring loaded font steering.

Hope this all helps you and good luck with your new bike.

hi Johny,

I think the orbitor is exactly for 4y olds too, as my 4y old is clearly able to stand by herself on her bike, and to hold the bar of the orbitor.
Most 4-6y old I see on cargo bikes are on similar setups.
Other brands such as specialized have a similar circular protection for kids that has a double bar, to allow for kids to handle a bar that is not exposed.

The xpedition has a pretty good double leg kickstand, but it makes the front wheel free to fall on one side of the other, and more likely to tip the bike.

I do have the equipment to change a tube, and it's true we can change the stem and anything in a bike in general, but if we want ebike and bikes to become more mainstream we have to make bikes that are good and usable as delivered to the customer, and be unusable within the first month.

Thanks

The best part of getting a flat on a Xpedition is flipping it over! I've added Mr. Tuffy tire liners to my Xpedition BEFORE I got a flat! Not a flat free gurantee but it lowers the odds (i hope!). Plus, I can see how the wheel comes off in the comfort of my home and not the side of the road! It is a chore to do though!

I think once your Xpedition gets sorted it won't let you down. I pound the wheels off of mine and the only glaring issue is the chain hopping off that little carrier guide, and the chain then rubs the center stand. I would imagine that Lectric has a swamped call center just because of the volume of ebikes they sell.

Back