XP 2.0 in Prius Prime?

Doggyman1202

I am thinking about buying an XP 2.0 as a portable e-bike option for my Prius Prime, which is generally driven by other members of the household. (My personal daily driver is a VW Tiguan SUV, and I manage to fit my full size e-bike into that). At the moment the Prius Prime is parked at a university campus a few hundred miles away so I can't take measurements. I also don't want to tip my hand, since it will be a shared Christmas gift. (I'm not considering a trailer hitch, since that would defeat the purpose of a folder). I don't think putting one or both of the seats down is a deal breaker. In fact, I'd be surprised if it fit without doing that at the very least.

I searched before posting, and someone asked more or less the same question two years ago, but the answers were a little vague. Plus, the 2.0 should fold a little tighter given the narrower tires compared to the original XP. Anyone here have any insight they can share? Thanks!

The smaller tires do nothing to reduce the size folded. Axle width is standard regardless of tire width so the frame width is the same.

I ride 6 days a week and only haul the bike in my Kia Soul 2 days a month so portability isn't critical to me. If I had a Prius with that lower hatch and was putting the bike in and out more often I would look for a bike with lower weight and better folding portability.

The smaller tires do nothing to reduce the size folded. Axle width is standard regardless of tire width so the frame width is the same.

I ride 6 days a week and only haul the bike in my Kia Soul 2 days a month so portability isn't critical to me. If I had a Prius with that lower hatch and was putting the bike in and out more often I would look for a bike with lower weight and better folding portability.
Thanks, and that seems like sound advice. The Prime has less cargo space than the regular Prius, and a higher lift into the cargo area, so I was also concerned about the heft of the XP. I'm also not sure it would fit through the back passenger doors.

I've also been considering the much lighter Fiido, but the versions of the Fiido that are interesting to me are not yet available in the U.S.

Thanks, and that seems like sound advice. The Prime has less cargo space than the regular Prius, and a higher lift into the cargo area, so I was also concerned about the heft of the XP. I'm also not sure it would fit through the back passenger doors.

I've also been considering the much lighter Fiido, but the versions of the Fiido that are interesting to me are not yet available in the U.S.
I would check the blix bikes or if weight and size is top priority then furo at 28lbs might work but low power and a bit slow. If money is no object then gocycle. Check the reviews on this site, he does a great job maintaining and adding to it. On Electrek YouTube videos I saw a super compact "world's smallest ebike" that folds down to the about the size of a carry on bag too but tiny wheels....

I would assume so. I know there's a video out there showing a guy putting a Rad Mini in the back of a Prius and I believe the folded dimensions of the Mini are a bit larger than the Lectric.

Ebikes in general are so heavy.... I did not enjoy lifting my 65lb. folded Lectric into my minivan. It would fit in my Prius C with the seats down, I just dread the thought of lifting into place.

Ebikes in general are so heavy.... I did not enjoy lifting my 65lb. folded Lectric into my minivan. It would fit in my Prius C with the seats down, I just dread the thought of lifting into place.
Based on your experience and Gordon's comment, I suspect it would probably fit one way or another. I am beginning to think more about the weight though, which might mitigate the convenience factor of having this as a secondary grab n' go bike. The XP seems like such a good value though, it's still tempting.

Johnny Rocket mentioned some very interesting choices, but I need to keep this in the $1k-$1.5k range to justify the purchase. The Blix folder weighs about the same as my Priority Current (not too heavy at around 44 lbs without the battery) and it's close to budget, but I've come to viscerally dislike the bolted-on-battery aesthetic and the attention (although not necessarily negative) it attracts.

There are a few lightweight folders (under 40 lbs.) in my range, but all have serious trade-offs either in terms of anemic power or stingy battery range (thinking specifically of the Fiido D11 and the relatively unknown Citizen London, respectively).

Last edited:
Back