Xiaomi’s new $261 electric bicycle prepares to turn the ebike industry on its head

For that price, Im certain it will lack any quality parts nor hold out long.
And with those tires, I wouldnt even get over curbs, thats not really a electric bike imo, rather a electrical toy scooter.

Well if it is disposable, I hope they are disposing of the batteries the right way.

Xiaomi is one of the largest cell phone manufacture just like Samsung. They have proven track record for their quality products. I don't know how they make it that cheap but hopefully won't cut corners..
https://www.mi.com/en/

Probably good for that "last mile commute" type situation where someone is using other transportation, like a train or bus for their commute to work and needs to get the final mile or couple miles to their destination.

Last edited:
Xiaomi is one of the largest cell phone manufacture just like Samsung. They have proven track record for their quality products. I don't know how they make it that cheap but hopefully won't cut corners..
https://www.mi.com/en/
Hopefully won't cut corners? That's how you make it cheap in the first place!
Also curious what segment of the industry will get turned on it's head. 1 amp charger and 6.5 hour recharge for a 6ah battery pack. Hilarious to claim 31 mile range on a 6ah battery. But I doubt I would want to get over 10mph on 12" wheels. I've always imagined I would look ridiculous on a folding bike with 20" tires or less. I'd be certain I'd look ridiculous on a bike with 12" wheels. Qui the circus music when I would get on! They didn't make much effort on weight reduction either. Almost 37 pounds on a 12" bike?

It's a cute mini-bike, won't have much range with a 36V 6Ah battery; however, if you're using it to get around after a train or bus ride, it would be fairly compact. Do expect the price to be about 50% higher due to the upcoming tariff on ebikes. Wonder about parts availability and repairs.

Also note, one reason the price is so low is they are not using high grade Li cells, just generic Chinese 18650 which are the more risky ones and have fewer charge cycles than Sony, Panasonic, LG or Samsung cells. If they were using a brand name cell, it would've been mentioned in the description. In addition, they do not mention including shipping costs with the bike, so I would think there would be approx. another $150 freight.

Interesting bike. It will fit a certain niche very nicely. Sort of like the Smart Car of ebikes -- not for everyone or every purpose, but just right for some people and some purposes. Turning the industry on its head? Sure, and Wheaties really is the breakfast of champions.

Back