Wrecked 2015 Turbo

jbike01

Region
USA
I got into a fairly serious accident last week on my 2015 Turbo. In addition to broken ribs and a collapsed lung a managed to bend both wheels. The local shop is not having any luck finding replacements, which is not surprising. Are there any other sources out there I need to be checking? If not I might have some parts for sale, in particular an almost new Turbo SC battery I upgraded to a few months ago.

Sorry to hear! Best of luck in your recovery and in finding repair/replacement parts. I’d contact Specialized directly. It can’t hurt!
PS, with that much damage to you and the bike, I’d be very concerned about the frame.

Sorry to hear! Best of luck in your recovery and in finding repair/replacement parts. I’d contact Specialized directly. It can’t hurt!
PS, with that much damage to you and the bike, I’d be very concerned about the frame.
Thank you for the reply. It's a very large Specialized shop I brought the bike to, so that was their first call. I thought the same thing about the frame but they said no damage.

Best with a speedy recovery for both YOU and the bike.

Why not just buy a wheelset on Amazon (or some other seller), wheelsets aren't specific to a bike brand. There are many choices available for both thru axle and QR, depending on what you need. If you have the turbo with a rear hub motor then just have a bike shop lace a new rim onto the hub (if the hub isn't damaged). I've laced a few wheels, just about anyone willing to look into how to do it and with some patience could lace a wheel. Hope you heal quickly.

Why not just buy a wheelset on Amazon (or some other seller), wheelsets aren't specific to a bike brand. There are many choices available for both thru axle and QR, depending on what you need. If you have the turbo with a rear hub motor then just have a bike shop lace a new rim onto the hub (if the hub isn't damaged). I've laced a few wheels, just about anyone willing to look into how to do it and with some patience could lace a wheel. Hope you heal quickly.
Thank you! They didn't offer that but I am going to show them this and ask. I do have the turbo with the rear hub motor.

Just as a reference, here is a QR 700c wheel with 6 bolt disc interface (also has a machined rim compatible with rim brakes) for <$90 on Amazon with free shipping.

A decent rim for the rear can be ~$50, plus spokes.

Just be sure that the frame and fork and components are all in good shape.

I wouldn't be surprised if your bike shop quotes $500 or much more for parts sourced from Specialized. I'm curious, let us know what they say. A <$200 DIY project.

Hub did end up being damaged, looks like I'm SOL.
Check both home and automotive insurance for potential coverage. I believe my homeowners covered the loss of my bike when I was rear ended by a pickup truck.

They use a custom wheel? Or wheels are just in short supply? My insurance would cover theft from the basement, but not from an accident without a special policy on it. kahn, you believe they did? You must have taken a shot to the head? LOL Being covered by the other person's insurance would be more likely.

They use a custom wheel? Or wheels are just in short supply? My insurance would cover theft from the basement, but not from an accident without a special policy on it. kahn, you believe they did? You must have taken a shot to the head? LOL Being covered by the other person's insurance would be more likely.
Actually, the helmet saved me from severe scarring it not outright brain injury. My sitting bone was crushed - well, my sitting bone dented the entire length of the pickup truck's bed wall!!!

My auto covered my personal injuries. Was it PIP???

But I know my homeowners paid handily for the bike when the bike shop noted that the handbuilt TREK was beyond repair and only a new steel custom bike would replace it.

And, no, the other side did not pay - Arbitrator was aghast that a bike rider was biking along a road posted at 50mph. It did not matter that it was an organized ride and the driver was cognizant of bikes on the road.

Hub did end up being damaged, looks like I'm SOL.
I kept my 2015 Turbo S to use as utility non-car substitute for short trips since it doesn't have much actual cash value. The hubs are through axle 15mm front and 12mm rear so it'd be a pain to find substitute parts. GoSwiss the motor OEM is out of business and finding a spare sitting around is like winning a lottery.

Well, after a couple of months of searching I found a used 2014 Turbo S. I loved my bike, but am worried about getting parts going forward. He says his battery is only a couple of months old and he'll give me the original battery as well, which doesn't have much charge left.

The seller is firm on $1,700 and I am on the fence. One concern is that he says there are no markings telling me which hub it has. The bike also has drop bars, which as far as I can tell had to have been installed aftermarket but he says were original. His has the fenders, mine did not. I'll likely end up buying and just having the bike shop swap out my handlebars for his and sell the extra battery and charger.

For those older Turbo owners, what do you think?

Back