Would an ebike make sense for my commute?

ebikeusername1

Hi -

I have a 11.5 mile commute (by bike) from Manhattan to Brooklyn with neither endpoint being very close to public transportation options (subway is 75 mins minimum). Last year I started doing it on a standard bike, did it for many months, including in very cold and hot weather, I didn't mind the riding but for several reasons I stopped.

- The ride was definitely a workout, doing 22+ plus a day was a bit much and I would be exhausted by the end of the week, even when I didn't do all 5 days
- I have to wear a suit at work so I needed to leave early enough to shower and change at work, carrying my suit on a pannier.
- Driving (my usual mode) takes 30 mins in the morning but returning takes 45 mins definitely and often 1 - 1.5 hours. Biking would take 55mins to 70mins depending on the wind. I usually averaged about 12 - 12.5 miles/hour. So biking made more sense time wise for the return trip than it did in the morning.

I started researching ebikes to see if this makes sense with the hope that several things could be accomplished. (1) make the commute more comparable in time to the car in both directions (2) be able to arrive without the need for a shower (possible to ride in a suit? I do on citibikes often, for 2 - 3 miles) (3) not be bone dead exhausted at the end of the week

Thanks for any thoughts!

I think you are a perfect candidate for an e-bike. You’ll probably want to avoid having a throttle as NYC doesn’t allow that, at least I think that’s the case. I’m also thinking that you’ll almost be as fast or faster on an e-bike vs. your car. Go check out an ebike at Propel, where you can test ride several models, discuss range , etc. With the right outerwear, you can totally wear a suit at least when it’s not super hot and humid. In the summer, you’ll probably need a place to change or at least freshen up. I know I do. In the other three seasons, I can get away with just wearing my business casual office wear and an outer layer as needed.

11-12 miles each day makes a lovely commute. You'll get faster mph on an ebike. I cruise along at about 17mph most of the time (slower on hills, faster going downhill, and, well faster if I'm in a hurry!) My commute is a hilly 12 miles each way.

You absolutely won't need a shower (unless it's a muggy summer day), and absolutely you could do it in a suit. I ride in my work clothes and never need a shower. Sometimes I give my hair a comb ... easy peasy! And, it is still good exercise. My heart-rate is about 110 when ebiking. :)

Last edited:
Keep us posted @ebikeusername1 -- I agree that commute length is a happy fit. My direct commute is only 5 miles one-way -- but outside of winter, I take a much longer route going home, sometimes 15-20 miles out of my way, to get more riding time and more exercise, when sweating isn't a concern.
All of last year (including the soupy gross D.C. summer) I biked into work in either my work pants (we're business casual - so, khakis) or else shorts, and either my office shirt for the day, or else (once mornings were getting really warm) a short-sleeve shirt (I'd then take a t-shirt and button-down to change into, those days.) I never felt the need for a re-shower -- though sometimes the back of my hair would be damp / face a bit sweaty in the worst summer weather -- I could have jacked up the bike's Assist level even further I suppose, to prevent even a mild increase in heart rate & exertion... But I'd plan my rides to get me to work ~20 minutes early; plenty of time to cool down, dry my face, etc., change whatever clothes I needed to...
I use a large-ish grocery pannier as my regular pannier -- so I can carry a change of shoes, whatever clothes I'd need to change into, plus a rain jacket, rain pants, a small hand towel, etc.

You are a perfect eBike candidate.............

Propel is a great ebike shop. But, be sure to visit a few shops carrying different brands so you can compare various value propositions and the trade-offs vendors make when choosing components. Be sure you choose a bike with a large enough battery capacity/range to get you easily to/from work without charging.

... I started researching ebikes to see if this makes sense with the hope that several things could be accomplished. (1) make the commute more comparable in time to the car in both directions (2) be able to arrive without the need for a shower (possible to ride in a suit? I do on citibikes often, for 2 - 3 miles) (3) not be bone dead exhausted at the end of the week ... Thanks for any thoughts!

Do you have to lock the bike outdoors or can you take it inside? Elevators involved or any storage space limitations at home? Budget?

Without knowing more and recognizing you will have a lot of choice in bikes in NYC, I'll just throw it out there that the Gen 2 version of the Tern Vektron is just out. I would imagine Propel should have them very soon if not already. I've commuted up to 36 miles round trip on the Gen 1 Vektron and Gen 2 is advertising some valuable improvements: the new Active Line Plus motor is claimed to be smaller, lighter and to have less drag vs the original version. The other valuable upgrades are in the geometry and rear rack. The Gen 2 bike will rest on the rear rack making it easier to store and transport. The revised geometry and rack should make the bike more stable if hauling a load. It is a class 1 (no throttle) folding bike with 20 inch wheels. Tern's marketing materials hint at commuters rolling them folded onto trains/subways but I don't know if that is possible/legal in NYC. But if you ever had to Uber because of a change in weather a highly portable bike might come in handy. It probably ships with a 400 WH battery but I'm sure you could get Propel to help you upgrade to a 500 for not much extra cost. The Powerpack 500 would be plenty sufficient for a 25 mile commute using higher assist levels.

And if space limitations do apply, another compact bike to check out (and one you can get in class 3) is the Riese and Muller Tinker. I don't have experience with this model but the reviews are very good. I can attest to the relative ease of transporting a bike with 20 inch wheels.

As for commuting 22 miles in a suit and without a shower: I wouldn't be able to pull it off. My commute is longer than yours but I always seem to be sweaty at 10 miles-in no matter the outside temperatures. My bikes are all class 1 and 3 and I try to conserve battery so I'm usually pedaling hard.

Get either a Bulls or an Easy Motion Nitro . And alwayd park inside a parking garage -is 7$ for bikes. If they ask you tonpay 15& go to anothet garage. I commute from Jersey to Nyc.
Later on maybe you can also get a Stromer , That’s like the supercar of ebikes here. There Are several skills to master on an ebike. Take it easy the 1st year or 2 and always clean the bike after evry ride !?

Hi -

I have a 11.5 mile commute (by bike) from Manhattan to Brooklyn with neither endpoint being very close to public transportation options (subway is 75 mins minimum). Last year I started doing it on a standard bike, did it for many months, including in very cold and hot weather, I didn't mind the riding but for several reasons I stopped.

- The ride was definitely a workout, doing 22+ plus a day was a bit much and I would be exhausted by the end of the week, even when I didn't do all 5 days
- I have to wear a suit at work so I needed to leave early enough to shower and change at work, carrying my suit on a pannier.
- Driving (my usual mode) takes 30 mins in the morning but returning takes 45 mins definitely and often 1 - 1.5 hours. Biking would take 55mins to 70mins depending on the wind. I usually averaged about 12 - 12.5 miles/hour. So biking made more sense time wise for the return trip than it did in the morning.

I started researching ebikes to see if this makes sense with the hope that several things could be accomplished. (1) make the commute more comparable in time to the car in both directions (2) be able to arrive without the need for a shower (possible to ride in a suit? I do on citibikes often, for 2 - 3 miles) (3) not be bone dead exhausted at the end of the week

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hi,
Agree with the others. It sounds like you're the perfect candidate for a visit to Chris Knolte, Founder of Propel Bikes https://propelbikes.com/
I live in CT, but if I lived in 'The City' this is where I'd go....And no I don't have any connection to Propel Bike :)

And soon there will be a multi-use path open on the new Tappanzee bridge. They said this year but the rumor in Tarrytown is that it will open in March/April.
I would need at least a 1.5kw bat. Pack from there to Nyc and back. But it will be really nice to go around !

Do you have to lock the bike outdoors or can you take it inside? Elevators involved or any storage space limitations at home? Budget?

Without knowing more and recognizing you will have a lot of choice in bikes in NYC, I'll just throw it out there that the Gen 2 version of the Tern Vektron is just out. I would imagine Propel should have them very soon if not already. I've commuted up to 36 miles round trip on the Gen 1 Vektron and Gen 2 is advertising some valuable improvements: the new Active Line Plus motor is claimed to be smaller, lighter and to have less drag vs the original version. The other valuable upgrades are in the geometry and rear rack. The Gen 2 bike will rest on the rear rack making it easier to store and transport. The revised geometry and rack should make the bike more stable if hauling a load. It is a class 1 (no throttle) folding bike with 20 inch wheels. Tern's marketing materials hint at commuters rolling them folded onto trains/subways but I don't know if that is possible/legal in NYC. But if you ever had to Uber because of a change in weather a highly portable bike might come in handy. It probably ships with a 400 WH battery but I'm sure you could get Propel to help you upgrade to a 500 for not much extra cost. The Powerpack 500 would be plenty sufficient for a 25 mile commute using higher assist levels.

And if space limitations do apply, another compact bike to check out (and one you can get in class 3) is the Riese and Muller Tinker. I don't have experience with this model but the reviews are very good. I can attest to the relative ease of transporting a bike with 20 inch wheels.

As for commuting 22 miles in a suit and without a shower: I wouldn't be able to pull it off. My commute is longer than yours but I always seem to be sweaty at 10 miles-in no matter the outside temperatures. My bikes are all class 1 and 3 and I try to conserve battery so I'm usually pedaling hard.

Thanks for the advice, I thought about a folding bike, but wasn't sure it would be comfortable for the 11 mile commute (22 round trip). At work I have to lock it outdoors, but it is in a pretty secure location with security nearby and cameras on the rack, so I am not too worried about that - home I have an elevator.

I was looking to stay below $3000 for this purchase, seems that cuts out a lot of the higher end models but not having tested the waters I want to make sure to no drop too much for the first one.

Check out this bike below from Haibikeusa.com it is limited to 20mph but has nice components and is lightweight for an e-bike at only 40lbs. Fantastic price at only $1799

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Don't worry about not having a 28mph top speed if that's a concern because I find in a busy urban environment it's difficult to safely maintain that speed, and the constant gearing up at down and stoplights becomes annoying.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back