Worth the big price difference?

MtnCE

Hi Court...

Recently saw the Trek Super Commuter +7 and really liked it. Then I watched your review of the Ride1Up 700 Series. Seems like, for the money, the 700 is a great deal compared to the Trek's ,$3,200+ price tag. Do the components, etc that make up the Trek make it worth all the extra money compared to the 700?
My commute to work here in Colorado about four and a half miles each way.
Thanks in-advance for any feedback.

You're buying better components and nationwide dealer support. If you can do mechanical and electrical troubleshooting and repair, the cost difference may work for you.

Hi Court...

Recently saw the Trek Super Commuter +7 and really liked it. Then I watched your review of the Ride1Up 700 Series. Seems like, for the money, the 700 is a great deal compared to the Trek's ,$3,200+ price tag. Do the components, etc that make up the Trek make it worth all the extra money compared to the 700?

Two entirely different bikes.
Trek SC+7 is much more refined in terms of ride quality (due to torque sensor).
If you ride a cadence sensor bike (Ride1up), you will immediately notice the difference.

The parts on SC+7 are an upgrade from Ride1up in every way. You could put 5000+ miles a year with simple maintenance.
Ride1up may hold up but it will need more maintenance in the long term. Also, remember you get 2yr comprehensive warranty on Bosch whereas it a limited warranty on Ride1up (only for manufacturing defects).

You could also look at used bikes like this. Someone has put a fantastic Supernova M99 light and some new drive train components on this bike that is selling for $1450.

If the size fits you, this could work much better because it has a higher a top speed and much nicer components.

Two entirely different bikes.
Trek SC+7 is much more refined in terms of ride quality (due to torque sensor).
If you ride a cadence sensor bike (Ride1up), you will immediately notice the difference.

The parts on SC+7 are an upgrade from Ride1up in every way. You could put 5000+ miles a year with simple maintenance.
Ride1up may hold up but it will need more maintenance in the long term. Also, remember you get 2yr comprehensive warranty on Bosch whereas it a limited warranty on Ride1up (only for manufacturing defects).

You could also look at used bikes like this. Someone has put a fantastic Supernova M99 light and some new drive train components on this bike that is selling for $1450.

If the size fits you, this could work much better because it has a higher a top speed and much nicer components.
Great feedback Ravi. Thank you...
Very helpful!

When faced with this question, I ask myself, are you a Toyota/Honda/Chevy owner, or do you prefer something more "exclusive"? Be honest with yourself and go for it. It's very likely that with good maintenance, both will go the distance....

Not being a commuter was how and why I chose an Ecotric 26 Fattie. If I had to think in terms of utility I would not skimp on price.

If I were using an eBike as my second car even $8 or 9k doesn't look out of line, considering the cost of a good used EV. You probably save in the long run paying a tad more up front.

Will you be depending on it as a daily commuter? If so, buying a better bike with more durable components with a Bosch motor will likely prove a more reliable daily ride. Bosch batteries and motors have the best service records in the industry. I have four of them with a total of 14,000 miles over the past two years. I have replaced brake pads, chains, cassettes, had problems with my Rohloff hub but so far no issues whatsoever with batteries or motors.

Last edited:
There is a Supercommuter 8, which is a fantastic bike, with 200 mile on it, for sale on Craigslist in Seattle for $2800 That has the Bosch high speed motor on it, great lighting and sweet styling.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Hi Court...

Eleven years ago a bought a Giant Twist ebike. I paid $2100 for it. That was a lot of money for a bike. I still use that bike every day, putting on about 2500 miles every year since I bought it. It’s still all original except for the plastic battery holder, grips and tires. Even the original duel batteries are still working giving me about 35% the original range of 75 miles. You get what you pay for. Ed

Back