Wish your Turbo S had front suspension?

OldGuy

I sure did - that solid fork transmitted every ripple, dip, and pebble in the road straight to my arthritic wrists and back.
Until I got the Redshift Shockstop
[drum roll.............]
https://www.redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-stem-ships-dec-14-2016/

Seriously, this sprung stem takes all the painful part out of riding a Turbo, and along with a Thudbuster ST, http://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/thudbuster-st-on-turbo.388/ it feels like riding on a cloud, without giving up any controllability or creating any dynamic change in geometry.

Unlike a sprung fork, it is very sensitive and removes all the little buzzes, but does less for the big potholes, as the range of motion is less. OTOH, it doesn't compress noticeably when you stop hard, and the wheel cannot twist relative to the frame.

Recommended.

Replacing the fork with a suspension version is 2-3X the cost, adds substantial weight, and is not really needed for road or urban use, IMHO.

Thanks @OldGuy that does sound like a good option. In some ways, back to the future. Springy stems have been around since before suspension forks.
I'll follow your progress if you keep this thread updated with your experiences.

Replacing the fork with a suspension version is 2-3X the cost, adds substantial weight, and is not really needed for road or urban use, IMHO.

I beg to defer. Having 2 class 3 hard tail ebikes with front suspension and body floats, cruising at 22-25 mph still transmit some of the road impacts. And yes I stand up when approaching really big bumps, on unmaintained paved roads. Now with a full suspension e-bike with more powerful bbshd, it made the whole e-biking experience less of a torture to the spine and joints and more of a fun and enjoyable exercise.

How is a front suspension fork 2-3X the cost? The suspension stem costs $140. There are really high quality air forks out there that are $199.

Interesting to hear your experiences here. This would be the only possible solution for the Turbo S as the tight configuration does not allow for a suspension fork.

Hello guys,

I've seen before that Specialized has a similar product called "future shock" but I haven't seen they sell it on the market so far. It seems like it comes with the Roubaix 2017 bikes if I am not wrong. You can check this review:

@bazzapage did the juice have much of noticeable purr in the motor or was it really low enough in volume? That is one thing I really like about the turbos, they are completely silent.

I too have turbo x with a bodyfloat and any bike I ride now feels harsh comparatively. The Paragon fork is great and definitely quiets the bumps!
Cheers!

@bazzapage did the juice have much of noticeable purr in the motor or was it really low enough in volume? That is one thing I really like about the turbos, they are completely silent.

I too have turbo x with a bodyfloat and any bike I ride now feels harsh comparatively. The Paragon fork is great and definitely quiets the bumps!
Cheers!
@jamesthewright it is a geared rear hub so a little bit of noise, not too intrusive though. Not nearly as sophisticated in drive train as the turbo but nice at half the price. And unlike my base turbo it doesn't have shitty formula brakes.

@OldGuy How is your 'long term' experience with the Redshift Shockstop? Still considering it now that I know I'll be keeping my bike for a few years. Otherwise I can do a suspension fork for about 50% more. Redshit's international shipping is hideously expensive.

Well, my long-term and short-term are the same experience, because the day I installed it, it started raining and hasn't stopped since. I've got a suspension fork on my other bike, and so far I like this better, from very limited use.

@OldGuy you know you and your bike are waterproof, right? Having ridden in torrential rain (50mm=2"/hr) on Friday evening... It is apparently summer here but nobody told the weather.

Yikes. My only other "helpful" advice is to move to a warmer and drier place so that you can ride your bike. ;-)

Just got Redshift along with a body Float, I must admit I was skeptical at first but the two mute out a lot of the bad roads here. OF Course its no replacement for a shock set up, but its a pretty good combo.

I've been using Specialized carbon seatposts on all my bikes for ten years. They are brilliant. Those suspension posts will screw up your power delivery.

:shrug: I find that I don't put any less into it when I'm on the e-bike. Which is a funny contrast because I don't even try when I'm riding my cargo bike. I just go at a walking speed everywhere.

Back