Wish your Turbo S had front suspension?

That's pretty funny - this is an electric bicycle. If you want power delivery, get up off the seat.

Very true... if I was super concerned about power delivery i'd probably use a traditional bike. The motor does the power delivery for me.

Just waiting for my Rockshox Paragon suspension fork to be delivered (was hoping it would be today). I ordered via bike-components.de (only Euro 170 / USD182 delivered to NZ) -- only difference from the Turbo X is that it is 65mm rather than 50mm. It seems that you can't get the 50mm aftermarket with disc mounts (v-brake only). I'll just adjust the head set spacers to compensate.
I looked at the Redshift stem but once delivered cost less (Redshift is USD140 + $70 P&P) and I figure that with a heavy bike like the Turbo, actual suspension will be better anyway, and particularly if it is cheaper :)

IMG_0996.jpg
Standard Turbo modified with Paragon front end.
Snow finally went away and I got to ride my TurboPlus.
Love it.
Fite

Last edited:
IMG_0945.JPG
Not sure about the "drama" other than to my wallet!
I had to add about 5 inches to the new fork tube to get the heighth I needed. The bike started as an XL standard and I went from there. I am 6ft 6in so needless to say....nothing off the rack fits me.
Go big or go home.
Here is a shot of the extended fork tube.
I will replace all of the stacked spacers with a single custom built one as soon as I get the final rise sorted.
Fite

Last edited:
Have completed it (I think!). Fitting the fork itself was straightforward, it's the attachments that caused my some headscratching. The aftermarket fork that seems to be available is the Paragon Gold TL Disk 65mm.
20170421_193433.jpg
The Turbo X has 50mm which means the geometry will end up a bit different. The front end is definitely noticeably (and visibly) higher. So after I was done I dropped out the spacers, inverted the stem and tweaked my saddle so that it felt right again. The bike feels amazing to ride - floating on air as it is.
20170422_200954.jpg20170422_201058.jpg
The Paragon fork brace has a screw on the back for mounting mudguards, so that's OK. I managed to also screw the light mount to the mudguard tab which isn't really ideal. I think I would prefer to mount the light onto the handlebars, so I'll try to source a bracket or perhaps one of the super-powerful Supernova lights. [Edit: I found a handlebar clamp for a different sort of light that I have hacked - so now the light is higher up on the bars which is much better for lighting the road ahead and much more stable with the suspension]

To fit the brakes you need a standard brake spacer - luckily I had one lying around. The Paragon's are designed to take a 160mm disk so you need 10mm of spacing.

20170422_201003.jpg
'
The biggest challenge I had was refitting the mudguards, because the mount is completely different. I ended up making some brackets which looks a bit ugly, but works. When I'm happy I'll trim the stays to the proper length. {Edit: done, looks much better]

20170422_201014.jpg 20170422_201009.jpg

The the final insult was when I took the bike off the workstand - the kickstand isn't long enough! Turns out that Specialized cuts down the kickstand so I've just ordered a new one with more length.

Total cost: EUR170 for the fork ("Federgabel" in German) + NZD65 for a new stand. A bargain I reckon.

Last edited:
IMG_0954.JPG
IMG_0950.JPG
I modified my stand using two 5/8 inch couplers from Lowes. Milled them down to clean up the look. Ran a die on the squared up ends of the stand, screwed them together and used JB Weld to clean up the connection. A couple of rubber crutch tips and a rattle can paint job and boom. Bob's your uncle. Fite

After 2 commuting days I can happily report that life is totally freekin' awesome with the Rockshox. I can't believe the difference it makes. I don't notice the difference in geometry (since I tweaked the headset spacers and inverted stem etc). The bike just feels good, so smooth! Highly recommend to Turbo and Turbo S riders. If you don't have fenders the change is fairly trivial (other than figuring out how to mount the light and getting a spacer for the brakes).

Now I just have to get used to leaning the bike up against things until the replacement (longer) stand arrives...

Some finished shots. Really, the Paragon forks are highly recommended and really quite cheap, all things considereed.

Catalogue of mods:
- DMR V12 pedals
- S motor
- Moved light to bars (used/adapted bracket from another light)
- Paragon Gold fork
- Adapted front mudguard
- Koolstop brakes
- SRAM Centerline rotors

20170429_120939.jpg
20170429_120950.jpg
20170429_121012.jpg
20170429_121027.jpg
20170429_120939.jpg 20170429_120950.jpg 20170429_121012.jpg 20170429_121027.jpg

Back