Winter Ski/Bike Helmets with Integrated Visor (Salomon or other Brands)

Prairie Dog

Region
Canada
City
Red Deer
I’m looking for input on winter ski/snowboard helmets with integrated visors. There are a number of versions being sold (Uvec, Atomic, Rossignol, Bolle…to name a few) but I would like to hear of anyone who has used one in the past or has considered purchasing one for either winter cycling, skiing or snowboarding. Most or all will fit OTG and apparently will also shield from the winter elements, fogging, etc... I’ve struggled somewhat with proper fitment of my current OTG goggles and ski helmet and am looking at these with exuberant interest.

My brother-in-law just purchased a Salomon Driver ski helmet (for winter cycling) with a standard cat S3 visor but has yet to take delivery of it. I’m interested to see how well they function and how snug the visor sits on one's face.

l40593300_m6gbbcqmidcnckks.jpg

According to the Salomon store in Poland, the Salomon Driver weighs 620 g.
I weighed my Uvex p1us helmet with 100% Accuri Tornado OTG goggles and the weight was 632 g.
By comparison, a lightweight KASK Rapido bike helmet weighs 240 g.

I might be interested with a Salomon Driver helmet. The point is the availability of that helmet here is next to none, and I could not find one with the clear visor either.

I tried perusing through the same online retailer where my BIL purchased his but now their site states that they no longer ship Salomon products to Canada.

The top-of-the-line Driver with a photochromic visor and air pump system is available locally but $400 is a lot of coin to pay for a winter helmet.

https://www.sportchek.ca/product/sa...VVD6tBh02sgXpEAQYASABEgJ4avD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

l40533900_4_zzpycevtip0qbhzr.jpg

It doesn’t appear that clear visors are available either, just ones for amplified contrast Cat S1 (VLT 54%) and extremely bright conditions Cat S3 (VLT 16%). I believe that there is a Plus version that includes both of these visors.

IMG_20220125_1615029.jpg

My Brother-in-law picked up his Salomon Driver helmet at the PO yesterday and I happened to be at his home in Calgary when he opened the box. I have to admit that the Driver S looks pretty slick with its integrated visor. I was curious to see how it would fit him and was quite impressed when he reported that the visor’s seal on his face when lowered down was exceptional and not too firm. There was also enough clearance for his prescription glasses and no apparent pressure on his nose that might restrict his breathing. The foam at the base of the visor is soft and conformed to his face rather well. The closed cell foam at the top where the visor slides up against the helmet is slighltly more firm resulting in what appeared to be a good seal. Removing and re-attaching the visor seemed a bit fiddley and will likely take a bit more hands-on practice.

The visor is available in four lens VL variations. S1 (foggy conditions), S2(Cloud cover), S3 (Bright Sun) and photochromic. There are also different configurations of the helmet itself and it can be a bit confusing as to what each specific model offers. The earpads are also audio compatible for both wired or Bluetooth speakers but it appears one must remove the inner liner to gain access to the pockets.

IMG_20220125_1454264.jpg

His large size Driver S only came with one Cat 2 visor in Toxic Orange. Overall, he seems to be quite happy with his $200 Cdn purchase but of course the real test will be when he rides with it on during more severe winter conditions.

IMG_20220125_1614565.jpgIMG_20220125_1454348.jpg

I wore ski helmets sailing my dirt boats and now wear an Anon snowboard helmet with a wind proof balaclava and goggles. Clear and mirror lenses. I’m not a fan of visors on very cold rides.

Bike a board helmets can both be MIPS.
“MIPS safety systems. The latter stands a for “multi-directional impact protection system," a design that's meant to reduce rotational forces that can cause brain damage (like a head-on collision).”

the real test will be when he rides with it on during more severe winter conditions.
Thanks looks really nice! I’m anxious to read how the visor does. It’ll be great if it doesn’t fog without additional anti fog products. Sadly most of the skid lids I’ve wanted to try weren’t true 63-64cm sizes. Anon fits me best.

Thanks looks really nice! I’m anxious to read how the visor does. It’ll be great if it doesn’t fog without additional anti fog products. Sadly most of the skid lids I’ve wanted to try weren’t true 63-64cm sizes. Anon fits me best.
I’ll be sure to report back the next time I ride with him. Our last outing together several weeks ago when it was cold and windy prompted him to dial up his winter weather gear including a proper ski helmet rather than his regular cycling lid.

The visor is available in four lens VL variations. S1 (foggy conditions), S2(Cloud cover), S3 (Bright Sun) and photochromic.
In what sense is it "available"? Can one actually buy any desired of these four visors?

In what sense is it "available"? Can one actually buy any desired of these four visors?
It depends on which retail version you find online. Salomon doesn’t allow the customer to pick and choose visors but prefers to package them in various forms. There’s the Driver S, Driver/Driver (+), Driver CA (photochromic) and Driver CA Photo with two lenses. From what I understand the Driver S is available with either Cat 1 or 3 visors. Driver (+) includes both Cat 1 & 3 visors, the Driver CA (Custom Air) system has the photochromic Sigma visor which offers enhanced contrast in snow and the Driver CA with Cat 1 & 3 visors. Confused, yeah me too. No mention of any versions with Cat 2 visors.

Salomon doesn’t clearly distinguish the versions on their website forcing the customer to find out on his/her own through other retailer's sites. There is also the Pioneer Line of visor helmets which are lower in price point and appear to offer helmets in four color combos but with single visors only which is a bit of disappointment. They are lighter in weight though they don’t look as streamline as the Driver series and appear not to offer an optimal seal to one’s face as the visors are smaller in size.

It depends on which retail version you find online. Salomon doesn’t allow the customer to pick and choose visors but prefers to package them in various forms. There’s the Driver S, Driver/Driver (+), Driver CA (photochromic) and Driver CA Photo with two lenses. From what I understand the Driver S is available with either Cat 1 or 3 visors. Driver (+) includes both Cat 1 & 3 visors, the Driver CA (Custom Air) system has the photochromic Sigma visor which offers enhanced contrast in snow and the Driver CA with Cat 1 & 3 visors. Confused, yeah me too. No mention of any versions with Cat 2 visors.

Salomon doesn’t clearly distinguish the versions on their website forcing the customer to find out on his/her own through other retailer's sites. There is also the Pioneer Line of visor helmets which are lower in price point and appear to offer helmets in four color combos but with single visors only which is a bit of disappointment. They are lighter in weight though they don’t look as streamline as the Driver series and appear not to offer an optimal seal to one’s face as the visors are smaller in size.
@Prairie Dog: I've done a quick research on the Salomon Driver availability and about the lenses. It looks any of the lenses is somewhat coloured. I may understand it is necessary for skiing but that makes the helmet impractical for my cycling needs :( I just hate seeing the outside world in unnatural colours!

It looks I will stay with my UVEX helmet and "100%" (brand) clear OTG goggles (these are cycling specific). The only thing I don't like about goggles is their foam part becomes unpleasantly wet and cold during raining.

1643356535512.png

Last edited:
My last post had me on the fence with respect to the Salomon Visor Driver helmet but I recently took a bit of a risk and was fortunate enough to purchase one of the few remaining units on sale. This particular one is called the Mirage and is the women’s version of the black men’s Driver and its variants. I don’t believe that there are any significant differences between the two versions other than the Mirage liner (as well as the chin strap) is made from a plusher/softer washable merino wool which is grey instead of black. Size measurements are equivalent to the Driver and the Mirage’s medium (56-59 cm) fit was ideal for my noggin even when worn with my balaclava. My helmet came with Cat 1 (Blue/sunny/17%VLT) and Cat 3 (Toxic orange/cloudy/48% VLT) gradient visors to accommodate most conditions that I would find myself riding in. It also included soft travel pouches for both visors as well as a larger one for the helmet itself.

IMG_20220211_1220112.jpg

IMG_20220211_1219589.jpgIMG_20220211_1214491.jpgIMG_20220211_1222470.jpgIMG_20220211_1224234.jpgIMG_20220211_1217424.jpgIMG_20220211_1218528.jpgIMG_20220211_1218328.jpg

The only thing left to do was to test this puppy in the field. I wear RX sport glasses with clear interchangeable lenses under my goggles so sliding the visor up/down to assess it for clearance was the first test. It passed with flying colors. The blue visor was perfect for riding in partial > full sun and peripheral vision on the trails was outstanding compared to my previous OTG Gordini clear goggles. I hope to try out the orange visor during days when the conditions would be considerably more overcast. The rubber/dense foam seal at the top of the visor appeared to do its job well and it wasn’t that difficult raising or lowering it to suit my preference. I wouldn’t recommend wearing this helmet in the rain though as I couldn’t guarantee the seals would prevent water from seeping through. In sleet/wet heavy snow it should be fine after all it is a ski helmet.

IMG_20220211_1216073.jpg

The helmet is also audio system compatible and the earpads were able to easily accommodate my Bluetooth Chips speakers which are only powered up when I’m alone on the trails.

IMG_20220211_1218134.jpg

Fitment onto my face was superb but not too tight or compressed onto my nose and could be adjusted slightly by simply shifting the visor slighty up/down for a more custom fit. I’ve had my old goggles slip off of my helmet and flop around loose on numerous occasions and knowing that this wouldn’t occur with this visor version was in itself reassuring. No fogging occurred during my 1 ½ hour, -3C windy ride even while sitting stationary at the lights. The only concern would be with durability and how the visors would hold up during repeated operation and colder temperatures. Time will tell. 🤞

IMG_20220211_1403021.jpgIMG_20220211_1403380.jpg

How do you deal with bright conditions in full sun, Stefan? Do you wear polarized RX glasses or do the goggle have interchangeable lenses?

How do you deal with bright conditions in full sun, Stefan? Do you wear polarized RX glasses or do the goggle have interchangeable lenses?
I just suffer, Art :)
Sunny days do not occur very often during Polish winters. If it is sunny, I just ride on! :)
The lenses are interchangeable but I haven't found tinted replacements.

I just suffer, Art :)
Sunny days do not occur very often during Polish winters. If it is sunny, I just ride on! :)
The lenses are interchangeable but I haven't found tinted replacements.
I almost bit the bullet on the Accuri OTGs based on your recommendation but the Salomon Mirage was on clearance from a Cdn retailer so I snapped up the last one. If I wasn’t completely satisfied with it, then there was also the option of a free return.

I don't say Accuris is the best imaginable solution but:
  • It is less expensive than the Salomon helmet
  • It is lightweight
  • It gives a wide angle of view and does not fog.
I don't think there's a single "the best" approach :)

Back