Wilderness.org e-bikes on federal land

Sure enough, 5 years later, the National Park Service has released its court ordered programmatic environmental assessment and its ruling of no significant impact. The court found the litigation brought by PEER to be without merit, and this report confirms ebikes may access National Parks with the permission of the Park Superintendant who has the right to regulate Class 1-3 ebike access outside of Wilderness areas where ebikes are not permitted.

NPS Use of Electric Bicycles in the National Parks System

Took the a lot of words to get to the meat of the situation.....

"The impacts of the selected
alternative, including direct, indirect and cumulative effects, do not reach the level of a
significant effect because most adverse impacts associated with implementation would be
minimal and spatially confined to particular trails within a limited number of park units. There
would be no “national-level” impacts to the National Park System."

Personally I am more concerned with the Forest Service and BLM stance on eBikes as they are still taking a NO approach. Perhaps this study will loosen them up? Not holding my breath however.

Keep in mind that this rule in the end doesn't mean a lot because the vast majority (more than 90%) of land in National Parks is designated wilderness where no bicycles of any kind (electric or not) are allowed.

Where this might matter is on roads closed to motor vehicles but open to bicycles and on frontcountry paths around campgrounds and visitor centers.

Keep in mind that this rule in the end doesn't mean a lot because the vast majority (more than 90%) of land in National Parks is designated wilderness where no bicycles of any kind (electric or not) are allowed.

Where this might matter is on roads closed to motor vehicles but open to bicycles and on frontcountry paths around campgrounds and visitor centers.
While that is true for the majority of NPS land, here in the DC area NPS administers key commuting bicycle routes eg Memorial Bridge, a flexible approach to Ebike policy is essential

It's important to note that NP park superintendents have the right to regulate which class bikes are allowed on any specific trail. It's been my personal experience that these superintendents have their own personal opinions. As they move from one park to another, the trail restrictions vary. On one NP visit, I was allowed on a trail but when I went back 2 years later, I was not.

I have to disagree with the idea that horses cause more damage to trails.
Maybe on a finished path on level ground with a shallow foundation they could cause more damage but, in a woodland setting going up and down hills the horse makes round depressions that hold water where a wheel makes a rut where erosion can start.
I've seen the effects of horses using dirt trails for years without any permanent damage and then motor bikes started using the trails we cut 20 years before erosion was never a problem until the bikes started using them.

I have to disagree with the idea that horses cause more damage to trails.
Maybe on a finished path on level ground with a shallow foundation they could cause more damage but, in a woodland setting going up and down hills the horse makes round depressions that hold water where a wheel makes a rut where erosion can start.
I've seen the effects of horses using dirt trails for years without any permanent damage and then motor bikes started using the trails we cut 20 years before erosion was never a problem until the bikes started using them.
I agree. Horse traffic on a muddy trail is easier to get beaten back down to normal by more foot/horse traffic. Where I have been on trails after weeks of dry weather and can still see ruts from cyclists from the last muddy period

Thanks Good up here in Northern British Columbia I almost never see a Hiker, Bicycle or eBike Rider on former Logging Roads. Stay clear of rutting Bull Moose, its rutting season right now. Few years back a Bull Moose even tried to hump a Police Car in Prince George, did quite some Damage.
Cheers

Back