Wife and I need help choosing from 3 options..

titleist1990

Wife and I have researched/read forums extensively and we’re getting ready to make the plunge on two ebikes.

We’ve narrowed it down the following three. Looking for $1,500ish or less, reliable, able to use on pavement but also rougher tracks/trails. Would like the option of gears to manually pedal if we wished.

1.) ride1up 700 series
2.) ESpin Nero
3.) Juiced Ripcurrent
4.) other?????

We live in Atlanta with an abundance of biking trails/paths. We’re in our late 20s, active and looking to purchase our first ebikes. We are not experienced bikers by any means. Looking for something all purpose and reliable.

Any help from more experienced e-bikers(this seemed like a good place to post..) is greatly appreciated!!

Wife and I have researched/read forums extensively and we’re getting ready to make the plunge on two ebikes.
We’ve narrowed it down the following three. Looking for $1,500ish or less, reliable, able to use on pavement but also rougher tracks/trails. Would like the option of gears to manually pedal if we wished.

1.) ride1up 700 series
2.) ESpin Nero
3.) Juiced Ripcurrent
4.) other?????

We live in Atlanta with an abundance of biking trails/paths. We’re in our late 20s, active and looking to purchase our first ebikes. We are not experienced bikers by any means. Looking for something all purpose and reliable. Any help from more experienced e-bikers(this seemed like a good place to post..) is greatly appreciated!!

Welcome to EBR. Take a look at the shortlist of the Best Affordable Bikes of 2020.

Best Affordable Electric Bikes of 2020

Budget conscious? Here are my top picks for best affordable electric bikes of 2020. You can have confidence in the capabilities of these ebikes. You’ll notice that I don’t go too cheap with these winners, because I’ve found that the very cheapest products do not use reliable or replaceable parts, and they usually lack warranty and customer support. My chosen ebikes have more dependable motors, batteries, and drivetrains. When comparing affordable ebikes, it’s wise to rely on common sense; “you get what you pay for” and “if something seems too good to be true, it probably is”. These top three picks are summarized below. For more details, including why I chose each model, check out my full list of the best affordable electric bikes.

Rad Power Bikes RadCity Step-Thru 3 Review

• MSRP: $1,499
  • MODEL YEAR: 2020
A feature-complete, approachable step-thru, comfort oriented, hybrid electric bicycle with regenerative braking. It has a built-in USB charging port below the display, features a modular battery pack that works with all other Rad models of this generation, and comes with integrated lights! The headlight offers a bright 80 lumen center beam and a unique LED circle to keep you seen, while the rear light offers solid, flashing, and bright mode when the brakes are activated. Sturdy adjustable angle stem and long 350mm seat post improves fit for a wide range… Read Review

Electric Bike Company Model Y Review

• MSRP: $1,699
  • MODEL YEAR: 2019
A value priced entry from EBC for just $1,499, available in 24 custom colors with an adjustable stem, bike can be made to order with other options for color and accessories. Powerful 48v 10.5ah battery pack cleverly designed to hide at the base of the front… Read Review

Rad Power Bikes RadMission 1 Review

• MSRP: $999
  • MODEL YEAR: 2020
The lightest, most affordable electric bike from Rad Power Bikes. Available in two frame sizes and styles including a sturdy high-step diamond and approachable mid-step mixte. Six color schemes let you personalize the bike and stand out, which is rare for cheaper electric bikes. Lots of attachment points for optional fenders, racks, baskets, bottles, and frame locks.. Surprisingly powerful geared hub motor offers 50nm of torque. Single speed drivetrain is quiet... Read Review

Have you considered the espin Flow?

1.) ride1up 700 series
2.) ESpin Nero
3.) Juiced Ripcurrent
4.) other?????

We live in Atlanta with an abundance of biking trails/paths. We’re in our late 20s, active and looking to purchase our first ebikes. We are not experienced bikers by any means. Looking for something all purpose and reliable.

Any help from more experienced e-bikers(this seemed like a good place to post..) is greatly appreciated!!

Two of your three choices are fat tire bikes. Have you or your wife ridden one before? You may love it or hate it, but I wouldn't buy one without at least trying out that style of bike first.

Especially because you're considering doing a decent amount of pedaling, you and your wife might try going to a bike shop and trying different styles of (regular) bikes to get a feel for what you both like before committing to an ebike sight-unseen.

1.) ride1up 700 series
2.) ESpin Nero
3.) Juiced Ripcurrent
4.) other?????

I have two mid-drive e-bikes, bosch & yamaha, that I love. I just purchased my Espin Nero for a major bargain, BUT the shipment is supposedly delayed due to customs. It was due to ship out end of October. Now, they are saying mid November. I am not sure this is true. They are a smaller company that most have had positive comments about.

I don't like paying for something that is delayed.

Look at the Himiway and Aventon. The Himiway seems to be growing in popularity. Depending on your future desires, try to get bikes that will have replacement parts readily available in the future. That is to say, someone who has been around for 5-10 years. I want the fat tires for comfort and light trail rides. The Nero is projected to ride 25 mph. I like that too. You almost always have to spend $3K for a mid drive, fat tire, speed (25mph >) bike.

Do your research. Think seriously about your needs/wants. Check the inventory. When they have a future projected date for delivery, they are having you pay to guarantee the bike and shipping when they get a full order. Remember, HUB drive bikes don't do steep hills well.

Good luck. You're gonna love it!

I have two mid-drive e-bikes, bosch & yamaha, that I love. I just purchased my Espin Nero for a major bargain, BUT the shipment is supposedly delayed due to customs. It was due to ship out end of October. Now, they are saying mid November. I am not sure this is true. They are a smaller company that most have had positive comments about.

I don't like paying for something that is delayed.

Look at the Himiway and Aventon. The Himiway seems to be growing in popularity. Depending on your future desires, try to get bikes that will have replacement parts readily available in the future. That is to say, someone who has been around for 5-10 years. I want the fat tires for comfort and light trail rides. The Nero is projected to ride 25 mph. I like that too. You almost always have to spend $3K for a mid drive, fat tire, speed (25mph >) bike.

Do your research. Think seriously about your needs/wants. Check the inventory. When they have a future projected date for delivery, they are having you pay to guarantee the bike and shipping when they get a full order. Remember, HUB drive bikes don't do steep hills well.

Good luck. You're gonna love it!
Thank you! This helps a ton. I can’t agree more regarding finding one that’s reputable/been around to find parts when repairs are eventually required. Wife and I just rented e bikes in San Francisco(we live in GA .. a lot less hilly) and we loved them. The electric only kicked in when we pedaled. Would that be considered a HUB Ebike motor instead of alternatives?

I highly recommend checking some out at a local store first.

As much as a bargain Internet D2C bikes are, sometimes it may be better to see what your local bike stores have first (and be able to test them).

Thank you! This helps a ton. I can’t agree more regarding finding one that’s reputable/been around to find parts when repairs are eventually required. Wife and I just rented e bikes in San Francisco(we live in GA .. a lot less hilly) and we loved them. The electric only kicked in when we pedaled. Would that be considered a HUB Ebike motor instead of alternatives?
A hub motor ebike refers to the location of the motor - it is in the hub of one of the wheels (usually the rear). Whereas a mid-drive has a motor in the middle of the bike, where the bottom bracket and pedals are. You can find more information about ebikes here on this forum, or youtube, or other ebike sites.

Based on your response, I wholeheartedly agree with @BigNerd . Visit a bike shop, talk to the employees about ebikes, and try some different options out. It only costs you and your wife some time. Of course, the shop would like to make a sale, and you may be better served in the long run by having that shop to do maintenance and repairs on your purchase. But the visit is still free.

This took me a while to understand, but after 18 months of research, not necessary on your part, I understood there are 3 classes of bikes.

The big difference is mid drive, motor in the pedals/crankset, VERSUS hub drive motor featured in the front or back wheel. I love my mid drives because they feel SO natural.

3 years ago, I rode my friend's RadRover. I love adventure, but it very much felt unnatural or like I was NOT integrated with the bike. There was a lot of power in the wheel. I JUST heard (cycle citizen/ citizen cycle -- youtube) that Rad Rover has improved this and the take off is much smoother now. I think Rad Rover is fine and they seem to have good customer service, BUT they remind me of the GAP clothing store. You buy one and then you see 10K others with the same bike. The Espin Nero looks a little more elegant. It's a copy of the RadRover step thru fat tire.

Where was the motor on the bikes you rode in SF? Yeah, I used to live out there and those hills are the most. A mid drive (crankset) motor is usually the one that only kicks in when pedaling and is a class one. Most of them only go up to 20 mph with the motor. Then you're on your own. Atlanta is not very mountainous from what I understand.

I think you just need to think about commuting. Speed is necessary to get away from and ahead of cars sometimes. If you are purely trails and casual street, 20 mph is enough. Since I am always looking, I find quite a few bargains. I have a Fuji 1.3 Ambient for $2K and a Giant Explore hybrid for $2K. Both are 2018 models, but very nice. I prefer more subdued colors, but I am getting used to them. The Fuji is a beast. The Giant is reliable and very serviceable.

I came very close several times to buying the hub drive bikes. They are good bargains with the right research. On hub driven bikes you have the options of pedal-assist, full throttle only, or both I think. Did your bikes in SF have throttles? Then they were probably hub driven. If they only powered when you pedaled and there was NO throttle, they were likely mid drive. The best way to tell is to look at the bike. The mid drives on ebikes just got smaller this year 2020. Before, they were always more prominent.

This took me a while to understand, but after 18 months of research, not necessary on your part, I understood there are 3 classes of bikes.

The big difference is mid drive, motor in the pedals/crankset, VERSUS hub drive motor featured in the front or back wheel. I love my mid drives because they feel SO natural.

3 years ago, I rode my friend's RadRover. I love adventure, but it very much felt unnatural or like I was NOT integrated with the bike. There was a lot of power in the wheel. I JUST heard (cycle citizen/ citizen cycle -- youtube) that Rad Rover has improved this and the take off is much smoother now. I think Rad Rover is fine and they seem to have good customer service, BUT they remind me of the GAP clothing store. You buy one and then you see 10K others with the same bike. The Espin Nero looks a little more elegant. It's a copy of the RadRover step thru fat tire.

Where was the motor on the bikes you rode in SF? Yeah, I used to live out there and those hills are the most. A mid drive (crankset) motor is usually the one that only kicks in when pedaling and is a class one. Most of them only go up to 20 mph with the motor. Then you're on your own. Atlanta is not very mountainous from what I understand.

I think you just need to think about commuting. Speed is necessary to get away from and ahead of cars sometimes. If you are purely trails and casual street, 20 mph is enough. Since I am always looking, I find quite a few bargains. I have a Fuji 1.3 Ambient for $2K and a Giant Explore hybrid for $2K. Both are 2018 models, but very nice. I prefer more subdued colors, but I am getting used to them. The Fuji is a beast. The Giant is reliable and very serviceable.

I came very close several times to buying the hub drive bikes. They are good bargains with the right research. On hub driven bikes you have the options of pedal-assist, full throttle only, or both I think. Did your bikes in SF have throttles? Then they were probably hub driven. If they only powered when you pedaled and there was NO throttle, they were likely mid drive. The best way to tell is to look at the bike. The mid drives on ebikes just got smaller this year 2020. Before, they were always more prominent.

Motor on the bikes was on the rear wheel.(hub) It had throttle to change from e power assist levels 1-5. Hard to imagine they went more than 20mph. They would not go/receive electric assistance unless you pedaled. (Which we liked using on all the hills. ) ATL has no where near as many hills. We’d mainly use the bike for pleasure/light off-roading/etc. (pleasure/leisure being 3-5 miles to local parks/breweries etc) not an every day commuter.

So, a throttle allows you to engage the motor (and propel the bicycle forward) without pedaling. If the motor didn't work without pedaling, the bike didn't have a throttle. However, ebike controls will allow you to toggle between assist levels, which is different. With respect to Mr Prof, his answer is incomplete. Classes of ebikes in the US (including GA) exist without regard to the type or location of the motor. This thread provides a helpful guide: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ference-for-e-bike-laws-for-each-state.38138/.

However, you will find that some ebikes (hub and mid-drives alike) can be "de-restricted" to exceed these class speed limits. If you want a class 1 ebike with no throttle and a 20mph limit, you can find that. If you want a class 2 ebike (hub or mid-drive) with a throttle that can be de-restricted to exceed 20mph, or even exceed 28mph, you can find that too. Happy hunting.

How will you know if the bike is reliable? If reliability is important to you, I'd suggest looking at the history of the company and how long it stocks parts for various models. How many years do you hope to ride your bike? You will need the bike company to keep stocking parts for all of those years, or to have parts that are generic and easy to replace.

Back