Why use a chain rather than a Gates belt drive

Attachments

• 20A77379-9E6B-4A66-B2B7-633FE183FD8A.jpeg
    20A77379-9E6B-4A66-B2B7-633FE183FD8A.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Lot's of good information here.

My question, a little off topic, is a rohloff with chain worth it ? Since it is a single speed chain it(the chain) will be much cheaper and more durable. Cleaning the chain and two chain rings does not seem too bad and with care the cleaning/lubing intervals should be quite long?
Asking this because there is no way to put a belt drive retrofitting a rohloff.

Since it is a single speed chain it(the chain) will be much cheaper and more durable. Cleaning the chain and two chain rings does not seem too bad and with care the cleaning/lubing intervals should be quite long?

I have the exact same setup and I recommend it.
The chain seems to last a long time and I really don't do any maintenance. Its like one chain clean every 600 miles or so (once every month).
The chain doesn't stretch as much because there is no lateral movement. Jumping up and down the cogs is what wears the chain and the cross-jiggling that happens with shifting. With a Rohloff, it is always straight and lasts perhaps 5000 miles. Chains are 1/4th price of a belt.

I don't really mind cleaning the setup once a month. It also gives me opportunity to look at the frame thoroughly and clean the bike.

Back