Why is the SL motor so very noisy?

@mschwett:
Specialized 1.1 (Mahle) motor is indeed perceived as noisy. It is a feature, not fault. I just want to tell you that:
  • Specialized 1.2e, 1.2, and 1.2s motors (Brose) are totally silent;
  • Specialized 1.3 motor (Brose) is audible under heavy load but generally silent
  • Specialized 2.1 motor (Brose) is noisy at general levels expected from an e-MTB motor
  • Specialized 1.1 motor (Mahle) produces the level of noise as you describe.
Have you had any chance to listen to Bosch motors? :)

P.S. Brose motors are driven by carbon fibre belt. All other are driven by solid gears, hence the noise.
Why exactly is noise now considered a feature?

Last I checked it was always considered a con. Its even mentioned as such on EBR reviews as such

I have ridden a Levo SL from someone I met on a ride, it was noisier than I would have liked, but I liked the bike alot.

A coworker has a Creo SL and loves it and raves about how quiet it is.

Im super picky about motor noise which is why I ride 2 Brose bikes.

My opinions on motor noise from quietest to loudest.
Brose, Yamaha, Bosch(last gen), Shimano (E8000), Levo SL, TSDZ2 with metal gear

From the E8000 on, people/hikers would notice and look at the bike and ask about the ebike.

Perhaps thats the feature? Not needing a bell? I just wanted to ask you that.

I have ridden a Levo SL from someone I met on a ride, it was noisier than I would have liked, but I liked the bike alot.

A coworker has a Creo SL and loves it and raves about how quiet it is.
How comes, taking into account both e-bikes are equipped with identical motors with identical tuning? Any hard data or just anecdotal opinion?

Perhaps thats the feature? (Not needing a bell)? I just wanted to ask you that.
You cannot change the way different motors are built. There are many satisfied Bosch motor e-bikes users on these Fora. Moreover, the more you ride the less you care about the motor noise. I know. I own a Giant SyncDrive Pro motor e-MTB. The motor noise has become audible only after I swapped Minions (then Rekons) for Johnny Watts tyres. And I don't care about the motor noise anyway anymore.

Reading EBR forums is like googling for head cold symptoms and becoming convinced you have cancer...
That's so true, Ras... By reading EBR Fora, I am very much surprised my Vado's frame has not cracked yet, the carbon fibre belt inside my Specialized 1.2s motor hasn't failed yet, my Trance E+ works nicely despite of Ride Control app deficiencies, and the fact I could ride for more than 3000 km on my e-bikes only in 2021 :D

How comes, taking into account both e-bikes are equipped with identical motors with identical tuning? Any hard data or just anecdotal opinion?

You cannot change the way different motors are built. There are many satisfied Bosch motor e-bikes users on these Fora. Moreover, the more you ride the less you care about the motor noise. I know. I own a Giant SyncDrive Pro motor e-MTB. The motor noise has become audible only after I swapped Minions (then Rekons) for Johnny Watts tyres. And I don't care about the motor noise anyway anymore.
That is correct about swapping tires affecting the sound amplification characteristics of a frame. It is not just the motor. You could attach a length of fishing line to a hollow carbon frame, stretch it an twang it and the frame would amplify the sound making it loud. Bikes with big hollow areas amplify the motor noise more at certain frequencies. You could test a bike by placing a tuning fork against it.

The point was that different people have different opinions on noise. That seemed obvious to me

Of course its ancedotal opinions, just like yours

Do you have any hard data?

Noise is a major consideration for me, maybe not so much for you. Is that not something we can discuss in a civil matter?

I care about motor noise every time I ride, perhaps you dont

I thought the yamaha/giant was manageable and would likely be my next ebike purchase(thanks to all the positive feedback from you and browneye).

The point was that different people have different opinions on noise. That seemed obvious to me

Of course its ancedotal opinions, just like yours

Do you have any hard data?

Noise is a major consideration for me, maybe not so much for you. Is that not something we can discuss in a civil matter?

I care about motor noise every time I ride, perhaps you dont

I thought the yamaha/giant was manageable and would likely be my next ebike purchase(thanks to all the positive feedback from you and browneye).
I just finished making a bike electric. It has the blue nylon gear and a steel frame so it is not noisy. Originally it had a brown saddle and grips and skinny white tires with red fenders and a twist shifter.

Attachments

• PublicV7Brakes2.JPG
    PublicV7Brakes2.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 196
  • PublicV7Display&Trigger.JPG
    PublicV7Display&Trigger.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 197
  • PublicV7Electric.JPG
    PublicV7Electric.JPG
    569.4 KB · Views: 203
  • PublicV7Freewheel.JPG
    PublicV7Freewheel.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 201
  • PublicV7Motor.JPG
    PublicV7Motor.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 197
Still hoping to find out if the Levo SL is noisier generally than the ostensibly similar / alike Mahle motors in the Creo and Vado SL. The Levo SL I rode was brand new and had a markedly more "tinny" or "whining" quality with greater volume as well.
My Vado SL is whiny, too. It seems to be saying, ”I want to go faster!”

Prior to my Creo I had a Yamaha Wabash. The dealer replaced its motor because of excessive noise. I guess all brands deal with the occasional lemon.
I unfortunately just purchased a used Wabash. Very low miles (150) but no warranty. I didn't really notice the noise on the first couple of rides but today I found it really bothersome.

Back