Why did you buy make and model?

Aunthugh

In researching to purchase your e-bike what were the major reasons you bought that particular brand and model? There are so many to pick from.

In researching to purchase your e-bike what were the major reasons you bought that particular brand and model? There are so many to pick from.
I purchased a BH Easy Motion 29er for my second ebike because BH made the bike I wanted. They've been a bike company for about a hundred years so I felt sure they knew what they were doing and would be there after the sale. They're very responsive to their customers and offer one of the best and longest warranties in the industry. It didn't hurt that the level of components for price is better than most. In that regard I wouldn't need to upgrade or replace parts for some time. I have no regrets.

Last edited:
Honestly, I really fell in love with the overall look (gasp!) of my bike, after I'd test-ridden a few other "big brands" (and decidedly didn't like the looks of a few of those models I rode.) This was a case of buying without a test ride -- V.E.B. is in California, while I'm in VA. So a bit of a leap of faith, that I would like it once I got it -- and I really have!

Thankfully, it also has a roster of quality components, and a powerful 750w hub motor. And while not equipped with the largest capacity battery out there these days (I've got 48v 10.4Ah), in my 1,700 biked miles so far, I've not yet encountered any significant range limitation impact because of it. The "small shop manufacturer" nature of V.E.B. has been (thankfully) a treat to work with, for resolving issues that have come up, beyond the little things I'd look to my LBS to handle.

Giant Quick E +
I bought my ebike because my local LBS could find an XL. I am 6'5" and I need the XL. The price was also a factor I was able to get a lot of bike for 3 grand. I also wanted to support a local LBS with my business and they certainly did their part finding the XL for me. Giant has a ton of dealers also so I can get support.

Court's review had a lot to do with my final selection of the Gazelle Arroyo. Also, for the brands/models in stock at my LBS that I could actually touch, sit on and test, the Arroyo just seemed to be the most comfortable and elegant of the bikes in my price range. And the fact that they had reduced the price by over $1000 (closeout of 2017 models) put it in my price range.

My first eBike was purchased entirely on price. $500 Sondors fat bike off Craigslist. 2nd bike was to be a serious purchase. I went to the shop to buy a Bulls emtb. Rode several emtb, then they mentioned a Haibike XDURO Full Seven S RX that was being sold at a demo price. Only 150 miles. I was smitten with the amazing quality of the Bosch mid drive, the natural feel of it, the wonderful hydraulic brakes, and smooth shifting. That was in November 2016, March 2017 I went back and bought another Haibike, this time for touring. XDURO Trekking S RX. Damn thing is like a Formula 1 race car in my mind. Incredibly easy to hit 24 mph, just shift, shift, shift and you are flying. 2,200 miles on the Trekking, 2,000 on the Full Seven. Not a single issue to go back the dealer since I bought them. Just oil the chain, charge the battery, month after month. Just dream machines in my mind!

Unless it's a poll or harvesting material for a blog...
Tons of different reasons. It's like asking why did you buy your laptop brand and model.
Price, looks, utility, local availability, speed OR weight carrying ability, suspension, wheels and tires, battery charge lasts long, convenience of cockpit, frame built.

Some reasons might not apply to your situation. First thing that buyer normally decides is what he needs it for. Otherwise - yes, there are too many to pick from.

A good reason for buying a specific ebike is the availability of local bike shop that can take care of maintenance and warranty issues.

This may not be an issue to most people who are mechanically inclined and can do the basic maintenance themselves. However, if something breaks prematurely, the local bike shop where you purchased your ebike is bound to address the warranty job and will contact the manufacturer in your behalf.

Magnum Ui6

In stock at LBS
$1700 was in my price range
Decent components for the price
Good battery/motor combo (I regularly get 65+ miles off a charge)
Magnum in eBike biz a long time, my Ui6 is the 6th version of that model.in other words they got the kinks out.
I test rode it, and was sold.

OP: What terrain, distance, your weight, height, fitness, any adverse ebike by-laws in the area, is budget important?

Electra Townie
Good reputation on quality.
Comfort
Nationwide service of bike
Good reputation of motor and battery manufacture
normal cycling feel of the mid drive Bosch motor
Internal 8 speed hub

Last edited:
OP: What terrain, distance, your weight, height, fitness, any adverse ebike by-laws in the area, is budget important?

Actually my first purchase was a long shot with little research and no test ride on it, and not from a LBS. However, I am on my 2nd year of riding and the bike is absolutely phenomenal in performance. I purchased from a well known brand from a reputable E-bike dealer, and I have not looked back. I made sure I also purchased with an adjustable stem to ensure a better fit and that also worked out to my advantage. Perhaps I just got a little lucky on that one. I am planning on a test ride before purchase on the next one down the line.

I work in the bicycle industry, so in my case, I knew what I was looking for in terms of type and quality. I got lucky and found what I was looking for at a closeout price.

I researched ebikes for a couple of years before buying Pedego Platinum Interceptors for my wife and I.
The deciding factors include:

Weight capacity - I'm 6' 3" 255 lbs and often carry a significant amount of gear. Most ebikes I looked at had a weight limit of 250 lbs.
Step through design - I'm 72 with bad hips and it's difficult to swing my leg over a standard bike frame.
Upright riding position - It isn't comfortable for me to lean over the handlebars anymore.
Hydraulic disk brakes - At my size, I'd rather not take chances with conventional brakes on an ebike.
Minimum of 10 speed gearing - I often ride fairly rough unpaved trails.
Major brand with good customer service - I wanted a company that will be around in 5 or 10 years.

These are my 6 main requirements for an ebike. The Pedego Platinum Interceptor was one of a very few that met all 6.

Purchase: 2017 Magnum Metro+

Reasons for purchase:
Local Bike Shop that carries Magnum and allowed for a test ride
Range - 48 volts, 13.5 amp-hour
Comfort for my 35 mile one way commute
Hydraulic disc brakes
Schwalbe Marathon tires standard

The other bike that I wanted to purchase was Juiced CrossCurrent S, simply due to the similar cost. The CCS did offer a larger battery but the Schwalbe tires were an upgrade and I didn't want to wait some indeterminate amount of time (purchased in December of 2017 when the delivery time frames were a little sketchy).

I'm still happy with the bike but would like a larger battery (17 or 21 a-h would be great for my commute).

Magnum Ui6

In stock at LBS
$1700 was in my price range
Decent components for the price
Good battery/motor combo (I regularly get 65+ miles off a charge)
Magnum in eBike biz a long time, my Ui6 is the 6th version of that model.in other words they got the kinks out.
I test rode it, and was sold.
I couldn't have said it any better except after the test ride I told the sales person I think I'm in love.With the bike of course..haha?

Back