Why buying a Stromer?

The Haibike Race bike is not available for 2020, i see that Felt has the e-50 for 2020, but a better deal is their emtb .
I was almost forgetting about the BMC, that AMP @4.2k has the best price/offerings right now for a really nice ebike.

There’s a limit to how much BS one can say...

i tell you with 100% accuracy there’e no class 3 ebike that will go 45kmh STEADY (as in longer then 15seconds) on a slight uphill (as in >3% ).

Class 3 as in 750watts max. No Juiced Ccx , no no St5’s , not even my BH nitro....

Or maybe you mean 1 or 2 % incline with a 30mph tailwind with a 125-145lb rider ?

Try it on a 3-4%incline, with a normal 185-275LB rider weight, prefferably pothole filled as that’s how most of the Us road infrastructure is right now. Most you’ll get is 37-39kmh or in between 20- 24mph .

Come on man... are you just trolling?! Here's an ebike segment (attached image, not the link) that I ave 28mph for 1:24 on my Stromer ST2 that already had 10,000+++ miles on it at this point (I no longer commute this way). Yes, this is a 3%+ ave grade.You can go look yourself, it's a public segment.
You'll see the Stromer was easily the fastest of the 16 ebikes and I wasn't even really trying (my HR max is 202). I weigh 200+ lbs and always carry a full load (clothes, gear, multiple tubes and tools). I also did this many times on my Focus ebike with the mid drive, rated at 70nm torque (Aventura Impulse 2.0 with 350W motor). I looked up my Focus rides and the best it ran was 23.1mph for this segment, on this commute:

People seem very confused by how torque and power works, as I was when I first went to a Stromer. I foolishly thought it was going to be slower than my Focus, because I bought into the torque specs being absolute, and thoughts of a mid-drive being more efficient. However, the motor's torque and power gets dumbed down, via the drivetrain and is VERY gear dependent. These companies seem to rate their torque by its peak, which is quite extreme. The nominal power/torque is much lower. I was initially surprised the Stromer was clearly faster, as shown in my data of the commutes. The power is right there at the wheel and constant. The only advantage my Focus has is on a super steep hill, IF I were to go super slow (<2-3mph), because I could be in a really low gear and the motor would be fine. The direct drive motor (Stromer) needs the wheel to be spinning a decent rpm for the magnets to not be cogging.

Want more examples? I'll create some ebike segments on my commutes on the hills and I bet there are many more, even better examples.

1579622619832.png

Well, that's really good for the ST2. I heard is fast, didn't knew is that fast.

The big battery gives it a powerful advantage over the other ebikes as the motor can keep on pulling all the watts it needs.

Any info on the other 15ebikes there were challenging this particular segment ? Not a Strava user but prob. can make an account and look up that segment.

Well, that's really good for the ST2. I heard is fast, didn't knew is that fast.

The big battery gives it a powerful advantage over the other ebikes as the motor can keep on pulling all the watts it needs.

Any info on the other 15ebikes there were challenging this particular segment ? Not a Strava user but prob. can make an account and look up that segment.

A pedal assist bike is partly as fast as the rider, since (with apologies to the old 'Centurions' toy line) it's "Man and machine, power Xtreme". I'm only able to maintain 45+ km/h on flat ground (or very slight uphills) by pedalling hard while clipped in to the pedals. Even at that, it further helps that I'm reasonably lightweight (6' tall, and currently 165 pounds) and that I use a clip-on aerobar to help cheat the wind. I'm also a lifelong commuter cyclist with a lot of lower body muscle (I'm a t-rex: big legs, but scrawny arms! ;) ). Finally, I ride reasonably lightweight bikes (currently 40-50 pound range) which further helps.

A powerful bike isn't enough, a lightweight bike isn't enough, and a powerful rider isn't enough. To maintain 45+ km/h for a protracted period on flats (let alone a slight uphill), you'll need at least two of those, if not all three.

A powerful bike isn't enough, a lightweight bike isn't enough, and a powerful rider isn't enough. To
I can do 28/29mph -45kmh on flat as long as my 55lb ebike battery is at least 30% -200wh left .
Have same background as you and same weight !

I think that the Stromer models with the 814 wh or 986wh battery have their huge advtg. in vastly superior BIG size battery, it can pull and pull constantly.
In sport mode i have no doubts it can do 45kmh on 3-4% grade. i can almost do that on my ebike which is at same peak power level-860watts in turbo mode. But mine has a smaller (604wh) battery.
Anyway A Stromer is a very good and safe (the anti theft feature) transportation mode as long as it works !!

Last edited:
"The Stromer ST5 is an urban and incredibly sporty high-end S-pedelec, which promises to convert your boring daily commute into a fun, fast and stylish experience. The design is elegant, the cable and light integration very neat and the handling playful and smooth – even at high speeds.

The Stromer rear hub motor delivers an overwhelming amount of power and allows you to reach a speed of 45 km/h, even on smooth uphills.

The Swiss brand delivers its ST5 model with integrated theft protection, that comprises a GPS tracking sensor and a Smartlock, which is controlled via smartphone. A regenerative brake system ensures low wear of the pads and good brake control and also helps increase the range. The tires and fork of this stylish S-pedelec can be configured according to your personal liking and the motor settings can be customized too. The appealing look, pleasant ride and top integration of the Stromer ST5 are second to none and convinced all of our jury members "

Not my text, just taken from this website:

As you can see from the pictures, they tested the ST5 in Bruneck / Südtirol. But the conclusion was the same as of all other riders worldwide.

Design-Innovation-Award-2020-Urban-0437-1-2000x850.jpg

Is it possible to set different PAS levels to different max speeds on a Stromer? How about changing how much torque/assist percentage/wattage is used for each level of assist? I've become used to individually tuning each level of assist on my current bike, and I wouldn't be excited to give that up. I'd like a 32 km/h mode (multi-use trail legal), a 38 km/h mode (a good speed for riding on congested city streets), and a 45 km/h mode (good for city streets where traffic's moving at a good clip, and for highways).

If the Stromer motor really is as powerful as some say, I'd be willing to give it a test-ride (and potentially stock them if I thought there was a market for them locally).

Is it possible to set different PAS levels to different max speeds on a Stromer? How about changing how much torque/assist percentage/wattage is used for each level of assist? I've become used to individually tuning each level of assist on my current bike, and I wouldn't be excited to give that up. I'd like a 32 km/h mode (multi-use trail legal), a 38 km/h mode (a good speed for riding on congested city streets), and a 45 km/h mode (good for city streets where traffic's moving at a good clip, and for highways).

If the Stromer motor really is as powerful as some say, I'd be willing to give it a test-ride (and potentially stock them if I thought there was a market for them locally).

Yes. I haven't used it, but on my ST2, the computer has 3 assist modes, 1, 2, and 3, and the 2nd one you can (or could, last I checked) customize the speed and other things (see image). I don't know if the new Stromers and apps are the same, or how well it works. I don't even have the app on my phone and haven't for years. It's not an actual # value, but slider bars which I'd assume you could adjust speed with the proper speed you want, by playing with it and then watching the display to see what speed the motor is turning off. The display shows if the motor is on, on my ST2, right under the speed I'm currently going.

It's powerful, but I didn't even realize how powerful, at first, because the power delivery is so smooth vs other bikes I rode and owned. Some have that initial jerk of power when the motor kicks on, making you think "woah", but it's just a short spike and mostly mental. Where i really noticed was looking at how fast I was going vs the effort I was putting in, and on Strava. The same heart rate and same power input (I use power meter pedals), I was consistently riding the same sections of road faster and passing other ebikes. I'm not saying it's the fastest road-legal ebike, I have no idea, but I suspect they are very conservative with their power ratings they state. The power and torque curve seem to be very consistent.

1579904318498.png

Yes. I haven't used it, but on my ST2, the computer has 3 assist modes, 1, 2, and 3, and the 2nd one you can (or could, last I checked) customize the speed and other things (see image).[...]

Well, that's good then. That's something I'll be looking for in all future bikes. I wonder if Stromer allows importing class 3 e-bikes into Canada? Many other companies that make them won't (Trek, Specialized, etc.), since most provinces have no legal framework for anything other than class 1 and class 2 e-bikes.

It's powerful, but I didn't even realize how powerful, at first, because the power delivery is so smooth vs other bikes I rode and owned.

Excellent description!

It is very hard to describe the Stromer feeling to someone who has never ridden a Stromer or a similar E-Bike.

The concept is rather simple, but the implementations demands highly skilled experts: The more the rider gives, the more the Stromer adds. This makes this unique bicycle-like riding feeling. The motor and the bike is optimized for high speed. With 52 x 11 x 27½" you have a gearsetting which makes pedaling at top speed affordable. With an ST5, you don't need to be Lance Armstrong to maintain such speed.

[...]
The concept is rather simple, but the implementations demands highly skilled experts: The more the rider gives, the more the Stromer adds. This makes this unique bicycle-like riding feeling.[...]

Isn't this like many/most mid-drive motors? A mid-drive has as many gears as the bike has, and mid-drives typically reward higher cadence and harder pedalling with more oomph. What you're describing sounds exactly like how I'd describe every e-bike I've ever owned.

I didn't get an e-bike until this year. Had I been looking for an e-bike years ago I might have considered one ...

What you're describing sounds exactly like how I'd describe every e-bike I've ever owned.

Sorry to see you trapped!

With all this mid-drive experience you have accumulated between page 1 and page 5 of this thread, you got lost in the loop. As long as the motor of a mid-drive is fixed with the crankshaft, it will be impossible to ride like a bicycle. I wish you will have the opportunity to break free and test a gearless hub drive.

Back