Why buying a Stromer?

On higher speed, like on a Stromer, the air resistance increases significantly - if you stop pedaling, the air resistance helps breaking.

Try to increase the pressure of the tires; these large tires generate some rolling resistance.

Keep your fingers (for quick reaction time) on the brake lever - but if you pull only a little bit, you will activate the (scalable) motor brake - before the mechanical brake is aktive (like in a Tesla).

Air resistance? It’s mechanical. As soon as I stop pedaling at any speed. Is that normal?

It’s mechanical. As soon as I stop pedaling at any speed.

None of my assumptions apply - and you say, it's mechanical? In this case, I would ride with extreme care to my bike mechanic. A mechanical resistance (e.g. caused by a damage) might have unforeseen consequences. As your ST1x is all new, I expect, your bike shop will handover a nice replacement, e.g. a ST3 during the repair time.

How can a hub motor (any hub motor) create a more "bicycle-like feeling" than a mid-drive? Nothing's more bicycle like than the drive feeling coming from between the pedals, surely?

Again, you keep making statements without giving us any reason to believe them. I own a shop that could be convinced to sell the darn things, if I had even a single reason why. Right now I don't have a single one, with you only suggesting that they're "better because reasons". I previously asked for actual reasons and got a form letter from you in return.

Are they lighter weight? Is the assist ramp up/down smoother? Are they more powerful? Are they faster? If so, vs. what? By how much?
The bicycle drivetrain being placed in front of the motor leads to an arguably more natural pedaling experience, as there is no translation of power occurring as in the case of a mid-drive. Many cycling enthusiasts prefer the feel through the pedals and drive train. The rear hub motor of a Stromer is also much quieter than any mid-drive motor. There are good mid-drives and there are good hub-drives, both have their place. A Stromer is one of the better hub motor bikes, perhaps the very best in the "legal" category. Many of the other hub motor bikes go beyond the (USA) maximum legal power output of 750W and are thus technically mopeds or scooters.

There are good mid-drives and there are good hub-drives, both have their place.

Let me go in detail with this.

• The mid-drive concept is excellent for MTB: You can climb very steep hills very slow - without loss of efficiency due to the internal gearing of the motor. In this stage, the motor gives his best - and its power arrives at the rear axle.

• The gearless hub-drive concept is excellent for 45km/h long distance commuting. No power loss over the drivetrain. Better efficiency as no heat sensitive electronics in the motor housing. Always the full motor power accessible.

Both concepts dramatically fail in the other field of use. It is technically impossible to build a 45 km/h mid-drive with the performance of a gearless hub-drive. That's why you beat them all with your Stromer on your daily commute.

I'm not for myStromer AG, I'm a Stromer owner in Switzerland - but I have good connections to the company; so I had the opportunity to test ride almost all models. Test ride means, I've made at least 1'000km on each Stromer.

Bicycle-feeling: Mid-drives cannot complete due to the technical concept (motor and cyclist power must go over drivetrain, its gearing reduces the effective power on the axle). The secret thing is the TMM4 called torque sensor on the rear end and the way how its values set the motor power.

All street legal e-bikes have the same top speed: 45km/h Here in Switzerland, these fast e-bikes are very common. I commute every day on all weather. I met a lot of other brands on my way. No one can follow me on a road with corners, or uphill on public main roads.

My average speed on even hilly rides is often in the 38-42 km/h range with both my class 3 mid-drive bikes. One is very high torque, and the other is very light weight. Maintaining 45+ km/h on the flat with either of them is pretty effortless. I can't say with certainty what would happen if we met up on thee hills of Switzerland, but at the very least you probably wouldn't be blowing past me! ;)

It seems to me any inefficiency you can point to with mid-drives is more than made up for by mid-drives having less rotating mass than hub drives.

If noise is an issue then choose a very quiet mid-drive, such as one with a belt-drive Brose motor.

Just as you're suggesting people should actually ride a Stromer to understand the experience, it's worth noting that mid-drives have shed a lot of weight, gained a lot of torque, gained much smoother acceleration/deceleration curves, etc., in recent years. Perhaps it cuts both ways. If you're last long mid-drive ride was circa 2017, then things have changed a lot.

I haven't had the chance to ride a Stromer yet, though you've obviously got me curious to. But on paper, it doesn't make sense that it would compete with a top-end mid-drive (and given the prices of Stromers, the top-end mid-drives are the obvious ones to compare against). But hey, stranger things have happened.

How are the weights of Stromers? Top-end mid-drive e-bikes are dropping down into the 25-35 pound (11-16 kilo) range, sometimes even with very large batteries (500+ Wh).

The bicycle drivetrain being placed in front of the motor leads to an arguably more natural pedaling experience, as there is no translation of power occurring as in the case of a mid-drive. Many cycling enthusiasts prefer the feel through the pedals and drive train. The rear hub motor of a Stromer is also much quieter than any mid-drive motor. There are good mid-drives and there are good hub-drives, both have their place. A Stromer is one of the better hub motor bikes, perhaps the very best in the "legal" category. Many of the other hub motor bikes go beyond the (USA) maximum legal power output of 750W and are thus technically mopeds or scooters.

The best mass market rear hub would be the japanese made Dapu hubs , b/c they very rarely have issues unlike Stromers custom designed proprietary but unreliable over the tp Nasa speced Hub.
If you had rode a properly calibrated 500watts Dapu you would know is the best.
I’m not including Grin tech. Hubs , Crystalite and few other smaller companies.

). The secret thing is the TMM4 called torque sensor on the rear end

As you probably do know that’s the same sensor used in the BH ebikes. The issue with the Stromers is that their drivetrain(hub motor/TQ sensors/cables) fails quite often unlike the BH/Easy Motion ebikes which have minimal issues.

Stromers have over engineered a rear hub and have issues.
BH had trusted the Made in Japan , Dapu hubs and have no issues.

This is a partial web info from a researcher study on the ebike motors:

“ Like the Dapu motor used on BH Easy Motion bikes, the TDCM drive does not have a torque sensor built into it. Stromer uses a TMM4 torque sensor built into the rear dropout. Unlike the Dapu motor, however, the Ultra Motor hub does have a specially configured controller built into the hub.

The benefit of an integrated controller is easy troubleshooting, while the DRAWBACK IS INABILITY TO SERVICE A BAD CONTROLLER AS WELL AS A LOWER HEAT TOLERANCE FOR THE MOTOR.”

Note- i Upper cased that last paragraph to bring attention to one of the issues with this Swiss ebike and the reason why some customers payed 1grand or higher for a motor replacement.

Finally, to answer the OP thread question:

-you should only buy a Stromer if you are 100% certain it will be reliable and your dealer or yourself(if skilled enough) can service it quickly if needed.

Last edited:
This is a partial web info from a researcher study on the ebike motors:

“ Like the Dapu motor used on BH Easy Motion bikes, the TDCM drive does not have a torque sensor built into it. Stromer uses a TMM4 torque sensor built into the rear dropout. Unlike the Dapu motor, however, the Ultra Motor hub does have a specially configured controller built into the hub.

The benefit of an integrated controller is easy troubleshooting, while the DRAWBACK IS INABILITY TO SERVICE A BAD CONTROLLER AS WELL AS A LOWER HEAT TOLERANCE FOR THE MOTOR.”

Note- i Upper cased that last paragraph to bring attention to one of the issues with this Swiss ebike and the reason why some customers payed 1grand or higher for a motor replacement.

Finally, to answer the OP thread question:

Please read this thread before commenting. If you have not owned an E-bike, please do not spread misinformation.
Stromer motor does not have a controller inside.

Someone I know, Ralf Menzi has done over 75000 kms on his bike and still using the original motor.

1575528613292.png

Last edited:
Please read this thread before commenting. If you have not owned an E-bike, please do not spread misinformation.
Stromer motor does not have a controller inside.

Someone I know, Ralf Menzi has done 75000 kms in his bike and still using the orignal motor.

View attachment 42382

I’m spreading truthful facts. That you mistakenly take as misinformation.
Please enlighten everyone why with all this technology , the owners are having so many issues?

Are all of them spreading fear or just plain facts and experiences ?

Note- this one may get a pass as is cellular carrier issue.

- It’s only Ravi and Bluecat on all this threads praising and attaching Tech files in favour of Stromer. Any reason for that ?

- this thread itself is started by Bluecat...oh well what a coincidence.

Those are only from last 7-8weeks from the very few people who took the time to write , and i’m sure you very well know the dealers opinions about this ebike brand.

There is the Gps functionality on this ebikes which is a plus.

Ps- I only have about 15.000miles on my 2 Ebikes and probably 200.000miles of road riding/racing -analog bikes.

Last edited:
We all get you work for or sell BH ebikes. Your constant shilling for the company is quite annoying. Why don't you go to their forum and stay away from Stromer. You don't own one and we don't want to own a POS BH ebike

Last edited:
Oh I see. Not much action on the BH bike forum. Surprisingly the apparently perfect ebike isn't so perfect after all.
Chronic 05 error
BH Dapu motor failure again
Battery/controller fault?

We all get you work for or sell BH ebikes. Your constant shilling for the company is quite annoying. Why don't you go to their forum and stay away from Stromer. You don't own one and we don't want to own a POS BH ebike

I like my BH because it is working and I’m happy with it and you’re jealous.
You are running out of defenses and start inventing things

Back