Why Americans, particularly millennials, have fallen out of love with cars

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
Nobody ever wants to hear this but the absolute worst thing you can do for the environment is have children. A man living to age 76 will produce about 24,320 lbs. (11,030 kg) of poop over his lifetime, and a woman living to age 81 would produce about 25,920 lbs. (11,757 kg) — so a lifetime of a woman's poop weighs about as much as three adult male hippos. Not to mention how many gallons of gasoline a person will use over a lifetime, How many gallons of fresh water? etc. etc. I find it amusing to see the soccer moms with 5 kids bragging that they are "Green" , recycling their trash and driving hybrid autos thinking they are great defenders of the environment.
Interesting observation. Never gave it thought that way.

It’s interesting that it appears no one responding to the OP likes or enjoys the physical act of driving a car. I do! I’m 75 now and remember the day I got my license. Pure joy. I looked forward, I and still do, to road trips. I enjoy the precision of driving, e.g., correctingly shifting a manual shift, engaging the clutch on an up hill from a stopped position, parallel parking perfectly on the first try, staying off the white inner line when a curve or bend at speed, etc., etc. i could go on and on.

Riding my ebike brings similar, but different joy. For example, as I approach a hill, it’s cool to downshift at exactly the right time to maintain the cadence and momentum. It’s fun to take a twisty trail at speed without losing momentum. (Yes, I do slow down if walkers, joggers or slower bikes are on the trail, but at 6 am, there are few.)

Just my two cents.

I agree that a road trip is fun and I do enjoy driving my manual transmission car. What I don't enjoy is sitting in traffic for every commute. Those are two entirely different things. Automakers sell a myth that all drives will be this "road trip" style with open roads and a sense of freedom. However, sitting in traffic trying to get to work is the opposite of freedom and becomes something dreadful over time. Which is why I try to commute via e-bike, train, Lime bike, running, etc. as much as possible. And I realize how lucky I am to have those options. I've lived in cities, suburbs, and rural parts of America and I realize how limited the transportation options are in some areas.

Learning to drive a manual tranny without the clutch has made driving more fun, thanks to a tractor trailer driver I worked with for years...it's how large trucks are shifted, by and large...it's a blast adapting that to, say, a VW. Downshifting, especially.

Speaking of transmissions, and also used to a ten speed Jeep, it's also useful to think of an ebike's PAS settings as a second transmission...comparing, say,sixth gear with PAS 2 to seventh gear with PAS 3, to find that sweet spot, all of which will change as the grade/breeze changes...

Back