Who's got a Current?

I just received my Current a week ago. A few months ago, I did a test ride on a Gazelle (Shimano shifter version). I'm not sure why, but riding the Gazelle didn't feel quite right for some reason. So, two weeks ago, I decided to take a chance on ordering the Current.

This is my third ebike in the past two years. The first was an Ecotric (which I sold), the second a Gocycle GX (which I'm keeping).

As for the Current, I love it. I bought the Shimano version. Because of shortages, the tires that came on my bike were Goodyear Transit Tour, 27.5" x 2.0". These aren't as slick as the WTB tires they were using, so I like them better.

One minor QA issue - when I unboxed the bike, the display was hanging loose and was missing one bolt. This didn't happen during shipping. Priority didn't comment on the flopping display, but did quickly send me two new bolts. Otherwise, the box and bike arrived undamaged. It is actually double boxed.

Do watch the assembly video that Priority posted. I found it helpful. They also have a video on how to change the rear tire, and other videos.

I have ridden it several times this past week. A one mile ride, a two mile ride, a six mile ride and two 12 mile rides, for a total of 33 miles. Some on paved bike paths, some on small town roads, with and without bike lanes. So far, the rides have been on mostly flat terrain.

I was surprised on the short ride (to the bike shop because of a squeaking front rotor), that when I was returning, I forgot to turn on the assist, and didn't notice it for several blocks. The reason it is easy to forget to turn on the assist is partially due to how quiet the motor is. The belt is silent, but the motor produces a very low whine when in use.

On relatively flat terrain, this bike has more than enough assist and gearing. I rarely used more than assist level one, and almost never used fifth gear. One time I used fifth gear, and hit 23 mph without even trying (the motor cut off at 20 mph). First gear is low enough that you almost don't need it on the flats, but I'm sure it will be helpful on the hills.

I did buy the optional mirror with the bike. It turned out to be the exact same mirror that I had gotten on Amazon for my first ebike (same price, too). I had to move the left brake lever and button pad inward, so that I could move the mirror as far left as possible. I still get a bit of my arm in the view.

Unlike a lot of ebikes, mud guards and lights are standard, but strangely, no bell. I like the rotating handlebar stem. I move mine up 30 degrees, for a more upright position. Of course, this much rotation also required that I reposition the brake levers, display and button pad.

Although a gel seat comes with the bike, I found it a bit hard. I bought one of these, which I also have on my Gocycle:
Wittkop Medicus Air (touring version): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0845PGYYZ/

I had an Abus folding lock already, so I installed it on the top tube. Just yesterday, I added a Kryptonite Ring Lock (cafe' lock). I was going to get a cafe' lock from Abus, but I found a local bike shop that had the Kryponite lock, and it comes with mounting straps, for less money. It looks like the Kryptonite lock and straps are made by Axa. You have to be careful when mounting a cafe' lock, so you don't pinch the brake line. I mounted the lock on the underside, and got the straps to just clear on either side of the brake line mounting lug. These Axa mounting straps have two straps per side, so look to be more secure than the ones Abus sells.

It may be overkill, but I'll use the folding lock to secure the frame and front wheel, and the cafe' lock to secure the rear wheel, making it harder to steal parts. Speaking of stealing parts, the seat post clamp is a quick release, which I also replaced (30.9 mm).

I am still on my first battery charge. With 33 miles ridden (mostly on assist level one), the battery gauge shows five out of ten. I'm going to keep riding it before recharging, to see if this rate holds up. I'll stop when I get one bar, as I don't want to push my luck.

I have the large frame. I am 6', 1" and have the seat post up about 5" to the seat brackets. I had it a bit higher, as measured to the "correct" seat height, but liked it a bit lower, for less leg extension.

With my experience so far, I would be willing to tackle some more challenging rides with this bike. The ride from Carson City to Virginia City is mostly uphill. Most of the way, it isn't too steep, but the last few miles from Gold Hill is very steep. I feel that there is enough motor on this bike to do it. I'll have to wait a bit to try this, as I'll be away for a few months very soon.

Before buying, I read all the reviews and watched all the YT videos. Now that I have a Current, I understand why they all liked this ebike, especially for the price.
I'd love to see some photos of mounting of the locks, specifically the cafe lock. I haven't seen many of those in the US but want to get them for all my bikes.

I also want to change the quick release seat stem clamp lever. What was the pitch and length of the bolt? I guess I could just go over to the hardware store with the bracket...

Has anyone bought insurance for their bike? I know this isn't a Priority Current question but I am so worried about my bike all the time that I'm tired of it - Looking at Merkel for $185 a year as my home owner policy wants to add $400 a year to cover the bike.

Curious what you didn't like about the Ecotric - wow those have a low price point - wondering if that means they feel cheap or ?

I'll take some pics later and post them.

I bought this seat post clamp. I got the 34.9mm size (I was going from memory when I wrote my original post, so I had the size wrong).

I asked State Farm about adding an ebike to my renter's insurance. They wanted too much, and told me that it would only cover theft if it was stolen from my home. Totally useless coverage.

I had the Ecotric Seagull, which was $1200 at the time. For the money, it was a good bike, but very heavy. That was why I sold it. At the time, I was in a third floor apartment. Pushing that thing up the stairs after a ride was just too much. That is why I bought the Gocycle. Now that I am in a townhouse, I wanted a full sized ebike, hence the Current. I'll still keep the Gocycle.

Speaking of Gocycle, I got the GX for $3000, which is a lot of money, but of all the folders, I liked it best. When the G4 came out, the price went up to $4000 for the base model. Now, with COVID to blame (isn't everyone using that excuse?), they raised the price for all G4 models another $1000. As much as I love my GX, I'd never buy a G4 at those prices. At $3000, it was a hard decision to buy the GX vs other folders. At $5000 for the base G4, it's not even worth considering as far as I'm concerned.

Here are the pics.

The Abus lock is the long one, so it won't mount on water bottle bosses. It has to use the included straps. The only other place to mount this is on the lower portion of the frame where the seat tube goes. I originally had the lock mounted lower, but had to slide it up to clear the J-hook clamp on the bike rack I just bought. That is one advantage to the Gocycle - no rack needed :)

Speaking of bike racks, after reading/viewing numerous reviews, I bought the Hollywood ebike rack that mounts into a 2 inch trailer hitch. And of course, the COVID excuse added $100 to the old price. I had a hard time finding one, as no one had stock. Even the local shop that is a Hollywood dealer couldn't get one for me. Despite this, I can say that I am pleased with this rack. It is very well built, and when properly tensioned, doesn't wobble.

The cafe' lock is mounted upside down. The included mounting straps give enough clearance, so the lock doesn't hit the bolt that holds on the rear mud guard. You can see that the mounts have two straps per side. There is just enough space between the straps to go on either side of the mount that holds the brake cable. As I said in my original post, I'm sure that this lock and mounts are made my Axa. The Abus version would have cost more, and the mounts would have cost extra. The Kryptonite/Axa cafe' lock is a much better bargain IMO. And for those who want to know, you can remove the key when the lock is unlocked, which is how I prefer it.

It just occurred to me - I hope that the cafe' lock doesn't interfere with the rear rack, if I ever decide to buy the extender battery. You can see the mounting bolts in the picture. Update: After watching the installation video for the rack/battery extender, it doesn't look like there will be any clearance problem.

Attachments

• Folding lock.jpg
    Folding lock.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 251
  • Cafe' lock.jpg
    Cafe' lock.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
One additional item that I bought is a Gates Krikit (pronounced cricket) gauge for checking belt tension. I don't trust the accuracy and repeatability of that phone app that has you strum the belt like a guitar.

There are a few different models of Krikit gauge. You want the one that has a range of 30-150 lbs. It looks like Continental makes a similar gauge.

Gates recommends a tension of 26-40 lbs, which is quite a range. I emailed Priority to ask what they recommended, and was told "45 Hz using the Gates app", which should equate to 36 lb using the Krikit gauge, if I did the conversion correctly. What I actually measured on my brand new bike was 40 lb. This was very repeatable, using the gauge. I'm going to leave it at 40 lbs, since the belt is likely to stretch a bit with wear.

Last edited:
Curious what you didn't like about the Ecotric - wow those have a low price point - wondering if that means they feel cheap or ?
I had one too for a very short time and thought it was very solid, and a good buy for the money given what it is. It's the what-it-is part that inspired me to sell it after one ride. I live in a rural area, so I thought it would make sense to own a fat tire bike, without taking into account how much bike weight matters (in several respects) and how clumsily 20x4 tires handle. It was truly a what-was-I-thinking moment when I realized it was not for me.

I do like the idea of having a very portable 2nd ebike though, so I bought a 33lb. Propella Mini which I can literally toss into the back of my SUV, and it even fits into the back seat of my cargo-space-challenged Prius Prime, without removing the front wheel. It's a different beast than the Current and unfair to compare the two, (one third the price) but good for quick trips over to the local rec park or nearby campgrounds.

I haven't studied bike locks carefully since the risk isn't particularly high around here (I hope I don't eat those words). While I do keep a basic lock handy when I ride, I'm not sure I'd consider an ebike for urban errands, unless it had some kind of tracking device onboard. Hopefully that technology becomes more commonplace.

It certainly is a large expense. Don't forget the mac and cheese. And for a treat, buy a can of tuna or chicken :)

To make you feel better, it's $200 more than a spare battery, which would be more trouble to carry. This extra cost is not only for the custom rack, but the extra electronics to handle the battery switchover from the main to the extender.

As I just bought a Current, I don't need the extender (yet). I can see getting one myself in the future.

I'm still on my first charge and have a total of 44 miles, with four bars left. If this holds, and assuming similar terrain and similar assist usage, that projects out to 70 miles. I doubt I'll get that, especially considering I plan on doing some more hilly rides.

After you've used the extender for a while, don't forget to report back. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to know of your experience.

One thing in particular that I'd like to know - do you have to charge each battery separately, or will the extender charge when the charger is plugged into the frame battery? Along with this, does the extender come with a second charger? Priority is light on details about the extender. They don't actually specify the capacity, but just say that it doubles your range. This implies that the extender is 500 Wh, like the frame battery, but they don't say this.

Priority clearly puts a lot of thought into their bicycle designs, but the extra weight on the back between the battery and rack gives me pause. I'm not considering one of these at the moment, but I'd want to ask them how it might affect the Current's balance and performance.

Priority clearly puts a lot of thought into their bicycle designs, but the extra weight on the back between the battery and rack gives me pause. I'm not considering one of these at the moment, but I'd want to ask them how it might affect the Current's balance and performance.
I’ll be ordering one shortly and have been peppering support with questions:

- can I modify the battery keys so they match - no
- does it come with an additional charger - no
- weight - 10lbs
- expected additional range - 572mah capacity so more than double the range
- is the battery level indicator the combined level - no it will show the down tube battery level and once that battery is depleted the indicator will then show the level of the second battery

I hadn’t seen this video before

I’ll be ordering one shortly and have been peppering support with questions:

- can I modify the battery keys so they match - no
- does it come with an additional charger - no
- weight - 10lbs
- expected additional range - 572mah capacity so more than double the range
- is the battery level indicator the combined level - no it will show the down tube battery level and once that battery is depleted the indicator will then show the level of the second battery

I hadn’t seen this video before

Thanks for the update. Good info. I'm sure you meant 572 Wh (or the video says 576 Wh).

Unlike many others, Priority seems to be conservative on their hours of use. This is good. Also, the extender is rated for about 14% more capacity than the frame battery.

The only question remaining is, do you charge each battery separately, or do they charge in sequence from one charge port? I'll guess that you have to charge them separately, but would be glad to find I'm wrong.

Thanks for the update. Good info. I'm sure you meant 572 Wh (or the video says 576 Wh).

Unlike many others, Priority seems to be conservative on their hours of use. This is good. Also, the extender is rated for about 14% more capacity than the frame battery.

The only question remaining is, do you charge each battery separately, or do they charge in sequence from one charge port? I'll guess that you have to charge them separately, but would be glad to find I'm wrong.
Just heard back and you are correct, you have to charge them separately. Curious why this is

I went for another ride today. Earlier in the week it was snowing and windy, but today was sunny and mid-40's.

I'm still on the first battery charge. So far, I have 50 miles on it. It is still showing two bars, but it dropped to two bars about two miles ago. With the type of riding I've been doing (relatively flat, mild hills, mostly level 1 with some 2-3), it looks like 60 miles is doable, but I'd want to be very near home at the end of the trip, in case the battery goes flat.

For most of my recreational riding, the frame battery will do just fine. I can see wanting to do the occasional long ride, where the extender battery would be needed. I don't commute, so I can't speak to that.

Again today, I started my ride and peddled a bit before I realized that I forgot to turn on the assist. Despite the weight, this thing is OK on flat terrain without any assist, at least for short distances.

Sadly, I won't be riding again for a while, as I will be away for work until late April.

Last edited:
Despite the weight, this thing is OK on flat terrain without any assist, at least for short distances.
You might also realize that, although heavy, pedaling feels incredibly smooth without any assist. Even more so than with it.

I went for another ride today. Earlier in the week it was snowing and windy, but today was sunny and mid-40's.

I'm still on the first battery charge. So far, I have 50 miles on it. It is still showing two bars, but it dropped to two bars about two miles ago. With the type of riding I've been doing (relatively flat, mild hills, mostly level 1 with some 2-3), it looks like 60 miles is doable, but I'd want to be very near home at the end of the trip, in case the battery goes flat.

For most of my recreational riding, the frame battery will do just fine. I can see wanting to do the occasional long ride, where the extender battery would be needed. I don't commute, so I can't speak to that.

Again today, I started my ride and peddled a bit before I realized that I forgot to turn on the assist. Despite the weight, this thing is OK on flat terrain without any assist, at least for short distances.

Sadly, I won't be riding again for a while, as I will be away for work until late April.
Curious what you consider the distance of a recreational ride for you? After a few weeks of riding the Current now it seems that it is an ideal commute ebike. My recreational rides have been limited to the battery capacity each ride so far. I’ve gone 40 to 50 miles per ride but would like to go about 60 to 70+

If it was only the occasional longer ride, I would pack the charger and plan a long lunch. Recharging is pretty steady at 10% every 15 mins

I have several different rides around here that are 10-12 miles, so easily done in an hour or so without even thinking about it. If I wanted to get crazy, I could ride up to Lake Tahoe. I see people doing this on regular bikes, but I don't think I'd attempt it. For one, it's very steep, and two, the shoulders are minimal. I don't want to risk getting run over (it's US Highway 50). Now, US 50 going East is a different matter. Although there are some noticeable elevation differences, you're not going up into the Sierra's, and the shoulders are very wide, just for bikes.

I did a 25 mile ride out and back on US 50 East, to a state park on my Gocycle. There were long grades in both directions. It took some effort, but I still enjoyed the ride. That was almost the limit with the Gocycle battery on those hills. On flat terrain, I could get almost 40 miles per charge.

With the Current, I'd be looking forward to longer rides. Depending on hills, 40-50 miles should be doable, with some battery remaining. Like I said before, I can see myself getting the extender battery at some point.

Battery extender showed up today. Less than a week after order so that’s nice. Again, well secured and protected with no visible damage or scratches. The rack looks fine, as expected, but I’m a bit surprised that the battery seems like a drop in fit, finish and quality from the bike. Very plastic-y and basic design. I didn’t expect that this kit would be different in terms of these things gs than the bike but it certainly is - for example - the plastic tab that locks the battery in could be pulled apart with one hand, rough plastic seams…. I suspect a drop or blow would do some real damage to the battery pack. Not what I was expecting for what I think was a premium price for the kit. Putting it on the charger now for a 100 mile weekend ride.

- I wish there was a dummy cover to slide I
into place when I’m not using the battery. Even an empty shell would be a nice storage compartment and also protect the exposed connections

- The key tumbler is different than the bike so my hopes of having the locks re-keyed is over

- I don’t care for the stickers on top of the battery - very visible when battery is mounted - but some black tape will cover them

Attachments

• 51B1DCEB-4F21-4F8A-95C0-05FFE314C8A6.jpeg
    51B1DCEB-4F21-4F8A-95C0-05FFE314C8A6.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 195
  • 42567B54-2E8C-4105-9BBF-CEC9A51931BE.jpeg
    42567B54-2E8C-4105-9BBF-CEC9A51931BE.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 0F9FF0A2-B0CD-4DA7-B91E-32AA0FB144D4.jpeg
    0F9FF0A2-B0CD-4DA7-B91E-32AA0FB144D4.jpeg
    510.8 KB · Views: 202
I’ve had a current for about 8 months ( 5 so) I think it’s a good bike, I use it mostly as recreational on Rv trips, I usually stay in pas 2 or 3 in 4th or fifth. We have been to the mountains of northern Alabama and North Carolina, Georgia, also Florida. I have never used first gear and sometimes I wish there was 6th for cadence. I can hit 25-26 mph for a short distance, battery permitting, but is comfortable at 22mph,yet to have any trouble with this bike with a lot of riding on level trails with sand

I am on my second battery charge, so I thought I'd report more data.

The weather was great today (sunny and 60-ish), so I went for a long ride. I had planned on a 20 mile loop ride, but I was enjoying the ride so much that I didn't pay attention, and missed the turnoff (I'd never done this ride before). By the time I realized it, I was half way to Reno. By the time I got back to the truck, the 20 mile ride had become 37 miles.

The route didn't have steep hills, but had several long grades. I did use level 2-3 on those for brief periods. I also used level 5 for a few seconds. On the last seven or so miles, I was tired, so I used level 3 for most of it. Also, during the last hour of the ride, the wind had picked up, so I had some headwind and crosswind at different points.

Within sight of the truck, the battery gauge dropped to one bar. The final mileage on the trip odometer read 37.2 miles. I could have made 40 miles on the battery with level 3, but if I had a bit longer to go, I would have had to drop to level 1.

Attached is a map of my ride. This is from www.komoot.com. The planned ride around the lake is in blue, starting at Davis Creek Park, and riding North. The red circle shows where I got to before turning around.

If anyone plans on doing this ride, for most of it the shoulders are wide (even the part I didn't intend to ride), and in some places are marked as a bike lane. The exception is Eastlake Blvd (which strangely enough, is on the East side of the lake :)). For much of it, there is no shoulder at all, or it is dirt/gravel and is a bit too rough for a road bike.

It looks like I need the extender battery.

Attachments

• ScreenClip.png
    ScreenClip.png
    339.6 KB · Views: 171
Installed the battery extender and did a short ride around my hood. Installation was easy but some differences between the video and reality are:

- the nuts to loosen on the support arms was 3/8 not metric (weird)
- the cable routing will never happen between the swing arm (not sure what it's called on a bicycle) and the brace as they say is optional in the video. I was thinking about dremmeling out a slot but will wait. For now I routed the cable over the brace and will watch to see if there is any wear on the insulation of the wiring. It is too close to the rear wheel in my opinion. The connector is bigger than the space is wide. See attached photo.
- the 3m stick on zip tie stays don't flex enough / have the wrong curve to match the oval shape of the down tube. I had to use the provided zip ties all the way around the the down tube to to secure the wiring
- there are many connectors under the plastic engine cover but look for the largest one and disconnect that one. I took a few others off and realized that most of the others have a different connector anyway so little chance in messing things up but I didn't expect this. This is a tight space to work in so make sure all connectors are in place before closing things up
- I've been looking for a place to secure an Apple Airtag and under the engine cover is perfect. I think I'll put a dab of adhesive on the inner cover and stick it there
- I contacted support to see if they sold a blank battery that I could slide in to cover the exposed connectors when I didn't have the extra battery in place. I also thought it would make a nice storage container. None for sale and in fact no extra batteries for sale either
- On a side note, thinking about battery wear, it looks very simple to open the extender battery case, a few screws, and I suspect you will have access to the entire battery pack to replace / upgrade it if you want

60 mile trip planned for Saturday so more details to come

Attachments

• IMG_4143D.JPG
    IMG_4143D.JPG
    508.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_4144D.jpg
    IMG_4144D.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4145D.JPG
    IMG_4145D.JPG
    641.5 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_4146.JPG