Who here has used dog spray?

Well, why do they make/sell it then?
I really don’t know. I’m sure it works but again, you better get it deployed and hit it near the eyes and nose.
Fortunately, I’ve never encountered a bear face to face but I did see one very large bear from very long distance with binoculars at Yellowstone.
There are plenty of YouTube videos.

Please read from the National Park Service link I provided.
I worked for a helicopter service in MT and spent considerable time in Grizzly areas. One mistake under the extreme duress’s of bear encounters may make the spray a dangerous move. Pissing the beast off and getting the user mauled.

Bear spray can be a life saver and is well proven. I never hike without it and have taken it along on bike rides as I ride in areas with bear and cougar. Nothing works all the time but bear spray is far better than nothing, and better than a firearm. Silly to hike without it but go without if you want.

Bear spray can be a life saver and is well proven. I never hike without it and have taken it along on bike rides as I ride in areas with bear and cougar. Nothing works all the time but bear spray is far better than nothing, and better than a firearm. Silly to hike without it but go without if you want.
Preying on fear to sell. Again, more than a years worth of actual time in the Kalispel, Flathead Lake, and Bob Marshall wilderness. We depended on the Park Service and others for updates and stayed out of active bear areas. Unless you have a lot of practice, developing muscle memory, the stress will make tagging a bear even MORE dangerous.

I would think taking sensible precautions... Like making noise while hiking (you can put bells on your pack), keeping campsite clean and suspending food from trees, being aware of surroundings, checking out Park bulletins for bear activity, and staying away from any cubs would be sufficient. It's not like bears are out there hunting humans. If they hear you, they're going to get out of your way. Decades spent hiking in the North Cascades, never took bear spray with us, only saw a couple of bears (once while driving, once from afar). I'm sure there WERE bears, but they didn't want to interact with us any more than we them.

I would think taking sensible precautions... Like making noise while hiking (you can put bells on your pack), keeping campsite clean and suspending food from trees, being aware of surroundings, checking out Park bulletins for bear activity, and staying away from any cubs would be sufficient. It's not like bears are out there hunting humans. If they hear you, they're going to get out of your way. Decades spent hiking in the North Cascades, never took bear spray with us, only saw a couple of bears (once while driving, once from afar). I'm sure there WERE bears, but they didn't want to interact with us any more than we them.
I spent lots of time hiking the Cascades, mainly near White Pass, Mt. Rainier and Mt. Hood. Not many bears that I ever heard of. Did lots of backcountry cross country skiing to go winter camping with tents, building igloos or snow caves. Sure do miss it out there.

Last I have to say on this subject. We have had bear and cougar in our neighborhood and areas I ride and hike. Cougar have killed hikers in the Mt Hood area. One homeowner killed an aggressive bear in her yard several years ago and homeowner killed two threatening cougar in his yard. A park worker biking in Glacier NP was killed by a grizzly a few years ago. I've come across several bears over the years, couple within 20 yards or so (most when in Alaska but also one on Silverstar Mtn). They definitely took note of my presence. Some parks rent out bear spray because it is a proven deterrent and potential life saver. Bear attacks aren't frequent but I also haven't ever been in a serious car accident but still buckle up each time I drive and wouldn't consider driving a car without airbags. Your risk tolerance might be different but given an aggressive bear encounter I'm pretty sure many or most would quickly have a change of opinion. Just part of a responsible piece of kit to carry in some areas.

It seems like noone here has had to use bear spray. Good. We have black and brown bears here in Pennsylvania. Often seen from a distance but they vanish fast if you get close. Hopefully.

I'm sure there WERE bears, but they didn't want to interact with us any more than we them.
That’s my experience. I saw as attack on a women that “hid” her food under her cot. Another really brutal mauling with nothing left but some human remains and boot laces in scat. He was told it wasn’t a safe area to camp.

What Are the Top 10 Intriguing Bear Attack Statistics​

• There were 664 bear attacks on people globally between 2000–2015.
  • There are 40 bear attacks around the world every year.
  • There were 23 fatal black bear attacks in the US between 2000–2016.
  • There were 22 human-bear incidents in the US Yosemite National Park in 2019.
  • There haven’t been any fatal bear attacks in Glacier National Park since 1998.
  • There were only 4 fatal bear attacks in Ontario, Canada, in the last 100 years.
  • There weren’t any wolf attacks on people in the US since 1900.
  • On average, lions kill 250 people per year in Africa.
  • Mosquitoes kill 750,000 people every year.
If you’re interested in learning more about grizzly bear attacks statistics, how often and why bears and other animals attack people, keep reading.

How Frequent Are Bear Attacks?​

Unfortunately, urban expansion has led to habitat loss, which is why some animals might resort to attacking people. They are trying to defend themselves, their young, and their territory.

Some Bear attack statistics for 2021 prove that it is our behavior that provokes the attacks.

For example, humans have used bears as circus animals, which is a severe form of animal abuse and cruelty. It traumatizes the animal and causes it to lose trust in people, which results in unpleasant encounters.

Are bears the most aggressive of all the animals out there? Keep reading to find out.

This one is so intriguing that it's on there twice!
Odd that only 6 of the 10 most intriguing bear attack facts are about bears. .
🤔

Not in response to the bear issue, do what you want with that.
But if you wondered how a pit bull would respond to bear spray here is a video.
BTW, I haven't been chased by a dog while riding a bike since I was a teenager but that doesn't make carrying dog repellent spray on a ride inadvisable, I started to since reading this thread topic.

I'm not shaking in my shoes about bears - - I have hiked in the Olympics and the North Cascades quite a bit, and never saw one, and never had any bear spray. I posted previously these pics from our trailcam in the front yard - - that bear is about 10ft from the front door. The cougar is on the badminton court.
IM_00834.JPG
IM_00835.JPG
cougar7.08 23.54.JPG
cougar7.19.20.JPG

But these are familiar wildlife, and when you are off in an unfamiliar area, the wildlife seems less...familiar. Also I am thinking ahead to when the border opens and we can go way up into northern BC.

It seems like it might be a good thing to have and not need, and a bad thing to need and not have.

A bear was spotted in the next county taking the "Indiana bison trail" across the Ohio at low water. I ride some of the Indiana Bison trail from home to Home Depot. Bears are seen frequently in Kentucky. Females with cubs are quite dangerous. I'll keep the sabre pepper spray on the handlebar of my bike.
I'm really much more afraid of dogs. I've been bit half a dozen times by dogs, I have a clipping file of death to pedestrians by dog bite. ****, somebody was injured in my city when a deer jumped through a plate glass wall and went bashing around the house. Deer don't even bite, just butt & kick. I had one of those vicious stags put a 15" diameter dent in the driver door of my 4100 lb '59 Ford in Natchez Trace Parkway. I have deer living on my summer camp, plus cross the roads I ride on out there. Pepper spray is multi target, and has pink aiming dye in it.

As a follow up to my previous post; YES Bear spray CAN work very well. But it is not a guarantee. I have used it to halt several charges/bluffs and gained space to make my exit from the location. I've also used it to get numerous (Dozens of) stubborn bears out of garbage bins, pickup truck beds, etc. But I have also seen a small percentage completely undeterred by it despite a clean shot to the face. There is a big difference between wildlife management and personal defense, but there is no doubt that spray is the best close-range tool for the typical hiker or biker in the backcountry (right behind education, awareness, and a cautious approach). But it is one tool among many, and each has it's own place and time.

For just nosy and bold habituated bears (accustomed to people and our food) just checking you out a close range or trying to intimidate you off your cooler, it can be enough to get the startling blast to the face to turn them around. They WILL try and come back later a majority of the time - so clear out.

For startled, aggressive, or potentially predatory animals, a good dose of spray at the right moment can definitely break off an attack or charge. As long as you get it in the right place in the right dose, it can blind and disorient them enough to cause them to run away while you exit. Just keep in mind that there are many factors involved that can influence it's effectiveness. I always say CAN, not WILL. It is a last-stage defense outside of firearms.

It should never be used to hold your ground (or campground) long-term, as they often come back to the wonderfully spiced-up scene, and most bears learn fast. That becomes wildlife management, and is an entirely different and exhaustive topic.

As for gear, this isn't a specific endorsement, but I carry this kit whenever I'm camping or hiking in truly remote locations (i.e. not highly-trafficked tourist areas) with as powerful a spray as I can purchase. I like the Frontiersman 2%, it definitely works and has good range - but empties fast (That's potentially a good thing, as long as you have more bottles around). FYI; The air horns are sometimes unreliable, freeze up, and break, so just be aware of that. The bangers and screamers (and signal flares) work well at medium range - but are a significant fire hazard in high season and require practice to learn the range and arc. If you plan to backcountry camp often outside of busy established sites, an additional big bottle (longer range) is a very good investment, and every adult in the group should have a small bottle and keep it on them. You often can't fly with it, so if you travel just rent or buy what you can locally and donate unused bottles to the next unprepared camper. Always check the expiry date, and store them well so they don't freeze or leak pressure (or pop) due to excessive heat like being kept in a hot car all summer.

Last edited:
OK, so now I need some recommendations for actual bear spray. For actual bears. Not for when ebiking though. We're going to go camping in the Sequoia National Forest or thereabouts, and I thought, bear spray ought to be on our equipment list. Saw a bunch of versions at Sportsman's Warehouse. Don't have a clue which to get. Your experiences?
Dear Person,I wouldn't recommend anyone to go into Bear Country( it only takes once-Most Bikes will not outpace a Grizzly- the "Why me" moment when you have 700# of carnivorous( omnivore) on top of you would probably be a one time deal.
An old Hand in Griz country said to aim low with the bear spray so it would bounce into the bear's face, otherwise, you could be missing the bear's sense organs and a Griz can really move" I may be synthetic, I am not stupid" paraphrase from Alien movie.
I did see you said you will not be riding the EBikes there, probably a good thing, another pointer stay with a group, if you survive a bear attack you will probably be compromised the rest of your life. Let me leave you with something a wise and sagacious Sheriff from Dodge City said" The Man who is not afraid is a fool'-" to be forewarned is to be fore armed'

Back