Who here has used dog spray?

My Human Bear Spray setup for dogs and...

Attachments

• bs2.jpg
    bs2.jpg
    748.3 KB · Views: 282
  • bs1.jpg
    bs1.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 279
The tricky prt is how to keep it/attach it within close reach, on the handlebar or top tube ? Should take 1-3seconds , otherwise the dog is faster...

I wear good old pepper spray for joggers. They come with a cool little wrist wrap holster that securely holds the pepper spray. Wal-Tart sells them in the running accessories section. I like the hot pink ones myself. I also carry a small boat horn in my pocket, but that's to scare bums on the corner not paying attention.

Wal-Fart sells 2 sizes in the "boating" section. The boat/air horn I use is the smaller of the 2. I tuck it in my pocket with the horn hanging on the edge of the pocket. I can reach down, send a attention honk and no one really knows who did it. The horn is pretty loud for a bunch of quick blast and when used up/empty I recycle the can.

The owners in my county are convinced the dog in the road is protecting their property. The dog owns the road as an agent of the property owner. As a bicycle rider, I am a tresspasser, lucky not to be shot on sight. I regularly get beer bottles & drink cups thrown at me. After all, bicycles are seen pushed by perpetrators at "Black Lives Matter" demonstrations. I've had owners run out in the yard to protect their precious 70 lb dog from the vicious bicycle.
Last August I used sabre brand pepper spray on one of three dogs that surrounded me at a 4 way stop sign. 80 yards from my driveway at my summer camp. I stop at traffic signs in view of drivers or other people. When the dogs wouldn't back off, I scored one in the eye. Sabre has pink dye in it to aim with. I couldn't get the leader, a vicious little terrier. Just the big stupid hound. Sabre is sold at Meijers discount store, one aisle over from the guns & ammo.
Sped away from two persuing dogs today; hooray electricity!
Wow where do you live?

Wow where do you live?
Clark Cty IN. The official vehicle of N. Clark County is the dually diesel long bed pickup. Notice in Florida, a gun owner that feels threatened by a pedestrian carrying a bag of candy is allowed to execute him. Case of George Zimmerman.

Just some background info for those considering or carrying the various sprays, as I used to do wildlife management in a previous life:

1. Check your local, state/prov, laws to see what's legal in an urban area.
2. Bear spray as a general rule is stronger than dog spray - all have an expiry date and can lose potency over time - separate when frozen - leak pressure once unsealed - etc...
3. Bear spray in a small bottle is generally delivered as a fog, out to roughly 3 meters or 10 feet (big bottles can go up to 10m/30ft). This makes a cloud for a charging bear to run into, but wind easily deflects the cloud and contaminates anyone in the area, including yourself.
4. Bear spray often only works well on an excited animal that is breathing heavily/chuffing, etc. It doesn't 'stick', and if the animal doesn't breathe it in fully, it will have minimal effect. First hand experience many times...
5. Dog spray (and people mace) is generally delivered in a stream that is intended to stick to the surface and remain effective longer. It is slightly less affected by wind at short distances, but the lighter stream usually has much less range in the wind. This application method allows the weaker formula to be more effective for longer though.
6. If you are going to carry either, buy a bottle of the matching inert "training" spray if available, and try it out to see first hand what the range and application is like (or use an old expired bottle in a very open area). It can take nerves of steel to wait for a bear or dog to enter the effective range, but if you waste the product too early it simply won't work the way you want it too. Once it's gone (maybe 5 seconds on a small bottle), it just leaves a panicked animal.

Either option can work in a genuine safety situation to break an imminent or active attack, but doesn't work well as a preventative solution if you can't deliver it accurately at range. That is where things like bear bangers come in for bears at medium range, but there isn't really a dog equivalent.

All generalizations just for consideration - but a starting point for those interested...

I enforce a 6' rule on dogs, especially pointed at my heel. If the dog wants to attack my rear, I stop and face him, start grabbing for the spray. In the past I have hit several dogs with the lock snapped on the end of the 6' steel sling. Unfortunately last year I lost a radio pulling the sling out out of the pannier. That's when I bought the sabre spray that is tied to the handlebar. I'll still beat a dog off if it won't back off. Especially dogs over 40 lb. I have a newspaper clippings file of dogs that have killed pedestrians & bikers. BTW I carry a million rider in liability insurance on my homeowner's policy.

I enforce a 6' rule on dogs, especially pointed at my heel. If the dog wants to attack my rear, I stop and face him, start grabbing for the spray. In the past I have hit several dogs with the lock snapped on the end of the 6' steel sling. Unfortunately last year I lost a radio pulling the sling out out of the pannier. That's when I bought the sabre spray that is tied to the handlebar. I'll still beat a dog off if it won't back off. Especially dogs over 40 lb. I have a newspaper clippings file of dogs that have killed pedestrians & bikers. BTW I carry a million rider in liability insurance on my homeowner's policy.
Sounds like A plan; I just didn´t see this one coming at all.

That's the issue i think, the location; by the time you take it out , the dog had already done the damage.
Actually one swift hand behind my back, the finger loops easily into the large plastic hole, the canister slides out, and I can spray very accurately within three seconds. But really, I am not concerned about dogs. I keep it for unruly primates.

Just some background info for those considering or carrying the various sprays, as I used to do wildlife management in a previous life:

1. Check your local, state/prov, laws to see what's legal in an urban area.
2. Bear spray as a general rule is stronger than dog spray - all have an expiry date and can lose potency over time - separate when frozen - leak pressure once unsealed - etc...
3. Bear spray in a small bottle is generally delivered as a fog, out to roughly 3 meters or 10 feet (big bottles can go up to 10m/30ft). This makes a cloud for a charging bear to run into, but wind easily deflects the cloud and contaminates anyone in the area, including yourself.
4. Bear spray often only works well on an excited animal that is breathing heavily/chuffing, etc. It doesn't 'stick', and if the animal doesn't breathe it in fully, it will have minimal effect. First hand experience many times...
5. Dog spray (and people mace) is generally delivered in a stream that is intended to stick to the surface and remain effective longer. It is slightly less affected by wind at short distances, but the lighter stream usually has much less range in the wind. This application method allows the weaker formula to be more effective for longer though.
6. If you are going to carry either, buy a bottle of the matching inert "training" spray if available, and try it out to see first hand what the range and application is like (or use an old expired bottle in a very open area). It can take nerves of steel to wait for a bear or dog to enter the effective range, but if you waste the product too early it simply won't work the way you want it too. Once it's gone (maybe 5 seconds on a small bottle), it just leaves a panicked animal.

Either option can work in a genuine safety situation to break an imminent or active attack, but doesn't work well as a preventative solution if you can't deliver it accurately at range. That is where things like bear bangers come in for bears at medium range, but there isn't really a dog equivalent.

All generalizations just for consideration - but a starting point for those interested...
Really good points, and great info r.e. pepper spray/bear spray-- had heard some . Be very careful about collapsible batons, often called 'asps,' because these are often illegal carry even though you can buy them in stores-- and anecdotally, I've heard a couple of people say that LEOs just hate them. A friend of mine got one as a gift and literally kept in his truck just to knock mud off the tires. LEO rolled up while he was taking a leak in the woods, but in that State, County or National Park-- I forget which-- that was enough probable cause to search the vehicle. Night in jail and thousands of $ to get it knocked down from a felony to a misdemeanor. No priors, model citizen.

The thing is, an asp would be a good carry for dogs (except for its weight, which is often considerable-- I had one in New York a million years ago.) I understand the purpose of the law, it's a great weapon for a mugger, too, but it sucks, because there just isn't a real great solution to the dog issue.

It seems like there should be some kind of sonic repellent that would work for dogs, coyotes, maybe even give you enough of a head start on bike thieves. Checked in the usual places, couldn't find anything that would work reliably.

I´ve ordered a squirt gun on ebay. Gonna fill it with ammonia & spice it up with cayenne.
Betcha I don´t get any more repeat offenders. (gleefully wringing my hands)😜
I used to use vinegar water in a squirt bottle to train cats not to get on the counter. I think vinegar will have less chance of seriously damaging a dog's eyes. You want them to back off, not be blinded for life.

Back