Which brake first?

A car or truck with four wheels shouldn't be compared to a bike with two wheels. As others have mentioned here, using a front brake only on two wheels can introduce you to the pavement quickly. Rear first followed by the front brake or gentle application of both simultaneously, but in any case locking up the front wheel while moving is difficult to control.
I wasn’t actually. Look at the post I was replying to.

I do most of my braking using front and rear when front wheel is pointed relativally straight ahead. Using the front wheel break when doing a slow sharp slow turn and the wheel will tuck in under you.
Been there done that.
A hazard you are warned against in the motorcycle basic course. I had it happen when I was making a sharp downhill turn to the right, when a delivery van suddenly appeared coming up the hill. I was on a 650 Silvering, as I recall. Or maybe it was a 750 Vulcan. The driver helped me get it back upright.

I use both front/rear equally in general riding on paved or dirt surfaces on dry surfaces (Radrover and Himiway fat tire ebikes). This is usually slowing down or stopping straight at an intersection/stop sign, before a gradual turn, or emergency stops. I use mostly my rear brake single track riding for more control to bleed off speed to make a sharp turn OR keeping the front wheel from losing traction on slippery conditions if I need to brake+turn at the same time.

Seems to me that the only way you get in trouble with the front or the rear brake is when you apply them too hard. Don't lock up your wheels. Either one. You;ll stop faster and safer if neither wheel locks up.

I pretty much always (post coaster brakes) apply my rear brake first, maybe with nearly simultaneous front brakes with a up to equal pressure if the situation calls for it. Doing that, I never skid or go over the handlebars, and I always stop in time. Part of the equation is looking far ahead and avoiding emergency situations in the first place.

My method works for me, but I suppose as long as you don't lock up the front wheel, applying the front brake first should work just as well.

TT

Seems to me that the only way you get in trouble with the front or the rear brake is when you apply them too hard. Don't lock up your wheels. Either one. You;ll stop faster and safer if neither wheel locks up.

I pretty much always (post coaster brakes) apply my rear brake first, maybe with nearly simultaneous front brakes with a up to equal pressure if the situation calls for it. Doing that, I never skid or go over the handlebars, and I always stop in time. Part of the equation is looking far ahead and avoiding emergency situations in the first place.

My method works for me, but I suppose as long as you don't lock up the front wheel, applying the front brake first should work just as well.

TT

Nah, you're only really in trouble when the hydraulics boil. They don't usually both boil at the same time......usually...

20240111_201546.jpeg
20240111_201616.jpeg

BTW, there ARE times when it's better to lock wheels - it builds up a bit of dirt on the tyres leading edge and increases traction. Learning when , why , and for how long is the challenge.

The traditional and widely accepted technique is to use the front brake first for efficient and controlled stopping, as it provides the majority of the stopping power. Applying the rear brake primarily can lead to skidding and loss of control, especially on slippery surfaces. Modern cycling safety courses and experts generally recommend using both brakes together for balanced stopping power. While individual preferences may vary, relying mainly on the rear brake contradicts conventional wisdom and increases the risk of accidents, as it may lead to instability and reduced braking effectiveness. It's advisable to prioritize the front brake for quick and safe stops.
Except on our old on-speeds of many decades ago, all we had were (rear) coaster brakes.

I've never had my brakes boil rotors can get hot to touch without gloves.

Attachments

• 20211026_171425.jpg
    20211026_171425.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211026_165202.jpg
    20211026_165202.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211026_165037.jpg
    20211026_165037.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 12
I've never had my brakes boil rotors can get hot to touch without gloves.

Yeah, but are you chasing a 15 yo son on a carbon giant reign ? On a 30c day, down a double black run? Then swapping riders and letting your 18 yo daughter ride your levo sl as she chases him down the same run....taking it in turns to try and tire him out. For 3 days.

He has xtr's , 230 mm rotors, 170 mm of fox 38's and teenage enthusiasm.

To be fair, my levo SL might have been a bit out of it's design parameters.....

BTW, there ARE times when it's better to lock wheels - it builds up a bit of dirt on the tyres leading edge and increases traction. Learning when , why , and for how long is the challenge.
Well,okay, every rule has exceptions, but not skidding is still a good rule.

TT

Well,okay, every rule has exceptions, but not skidding is still a good rule.

TT

Getting slightly off topic, but since the widespread use of ABS in cars it feels like people have become paranoid about skidding.

Going back to the coaster brake era - how many of us would blast down a hill with that rear brake locked?

Every advanced motorbike course I've done would include practicing both front and rear locking - the last one had us riding across a wet paddock, up on the pegs, front wheel locked and then transitioning to a rear power sliding corner. AND it included a demonstration of the limits of ABS.

No argument, most of the time you brake better by avoiding locking - but do we really need to be so afraid of it that we don't develop the skills to manage skids?

I lock up my wheels on purpose to see how much grip I've got and practice skidding.

It's fun to lock up both wheels and see how far you can skid in a straight line before you have to release the front brake to regain control.

I don't do it on asphalt because I don't want to wear out my tires or launch myself. 😂

Going back to the coaster brake era - how many of us would blast down a hill with that rear brake locked?

We used to do skid turns with the rear wheel locked.
We called them "fish tails".

I've done it a couple times on my e-bike, but I wore a flat spot on my tire doing it on hard packed dirt so I won't do it anymore.
Too bad, it's too much fun. 😂

Skidding can be fun or maybe even useful, but it's very rarely what you want to do normally or on purpose is all l'm saying.

TT

I've been on gravel roads with cross winds that started pushing me off the road.
I have very little traction on gravel with my street tires, so I like to test the surface conditions.

20230628_121522.jpg
20230624_130413.jpg

Really 4 pages of this stupid roadie bullshit.
Common sense and experience should tell you that applying both brakes is the best practice and that knowing the braking characteristics of your bike is essential.
If you're the type that needs to be told such a simple concept by an expert authority... Then your spandex is too tight and your balls have been squeezed into your brain which are obviously up your ass and a trip over the handlebars might be just what you need to dislodge them. 🙃

Last edited:
a trip over the handlebars might be just what you need. 🙃

I used to do that on purpose too.
I'd clear the bike and hit the ground running.

I won't do that trick anymore either because I don't want to smash up my new e-bike. 😂

Common sense and experience should tell you that practice and that knowing the braking characteristics of your bike is essential.

You need to practice or it ain't going to work when you don't have time to think.

I used to crash so often that I learned to turn my head to the side before impact so I wouldn't go face first into the dirt.
I haven't done that trick in over twenty years so I have no idea if it's still in my muscle memory?

There's only one way to find out, and I'm not looking forward to it. 😂

Last edited:
Back