Where are the Shimano and Bosch motors made?

FoxTrot

Hello all,
I will be buying an eMTB within the next 6 months. I am leaning toward a Bosch perfomance CX or Shimano powered bike. However, where the bike and motor are made is very important to me. I have searched the websites of both companies and did not find where their motors are made. Does anyone here know this information? Thanks!

I think you would be hard pressed to find any eBike motor system that doesn't at least have some Asian parts if not the full assembly. Same goes for all other aspects of eBikes.

FWIW, Specialized (Brose) motors are made in Berlin, Germany :)

1604645911094.png

Last edited:
Hello all,
I will be buying an eMTB within the next 6 months. I am leaning toward a Bosch perfomance CX or Shimano powered bike. However, where the bike and motor are made is very important to me. I have searched the websites of both companies and did not find where their motors are made. Does anyone here know this information? Thanks!
My Allant says it’s “Assembled in Germany“ but I don’t know about the motor.

majority of Shimano products are actually made in Japan. Look at the back side of your crank, derailleurs, shifters etc and they all say Made In Japan or just "Japan"
I would think the motors are made there too.

Shimano Factory Tour
My E8000 drive unit is made in Japan, battery cells made in Singapore & packed in China

My E8000 drive unit is made in Japan, battery cells made in Singapore & packed in China
Thank you very much for the information. I do my absolute best to minimize the amount of Chinese labor in everything I buy. I know that I won't be able to totally eliminate it in this purchase but I am doing my due dilligence.

Does anyone have the same info for Bosch?

Bosch motors are built in Hungary and shipped to respective OEMs for assembly all over the world.
Bosch batteries use Samsung and LG cells and the pack is assembled in Poland.
Before I bought my current ebike about two years ago I took a Giant Powerfly for a test ride and noticed a made in China sticker on the drive unit

Back