When you have no option but to buy online...

My BBS02 has a 42 tooth lekkie front sprocket vs the FS3 28 tooth. The FS3 also has 40 tooth rear sprocket vs my BBS02 34 tooth rear sprocket. That's why I credited the Evo's drive train giving it the mechanical advantages to climb just as well as my BBS02. If my BBS02 had a similar drive train, it would pop a wheelie constantly on any steep climb.

From the pictures I've seen, the belt on the Brose motor is a synchronous belt with toothed sprocket. If the belt was jumping teeth, there'd be a distinct vibration and sound and definite power loss.
There your bikes so you would know the best how they perform. So any thoughts on what you think that squealing was? I have never experienced that climbing a 12%-15% so far.

They used Fed Ex Ground which, despite the name, is flown to/from Hawaii by air freight. The only shippers that use the slow boat (Matson) are the freight consolidators and USPS Parcel Post.
FedEx is really rough on large packages and most of those boxes really can't handle more than one shipment. We've found that Fedex and UPS handle the boxes two Manu times and they always try to put them in places where they shouldn't.

We have custom boxes made so we can ship the bikes fully assembled and we have a short list of carriers that tend to take a bit more care with the freight. It's not easy or cheap, but it is possible to ship bikes in an effective and efficient way.

Mikey – Thanks for your feedback on the Bulls brose system. The EVO 3 FS 27.5 plus model is top on my list. Comfort and versatility are my main priorities for wanting a FS e-MTB. I am about 50 lbs lighter than you so it is good to know that hill climbing with the extra gearing has not been an issue for you. Of course, you are much younger than I and no doubt in better shape. My main issue is since I turned 60, the arthritis has been taking its toll on my legs and hips. However, I do not consider myself “over-the-hill” yet (pun intended). I do OK with my road bike on the busy lower grade paved roads. However, I much prefer to take the scenic less traveled but challenging hilly back roads (10-15% grade) in my area which are mainly gravel or hard packed. Thus my motivation in purchasing an e-MTB which I could also on occasion for some true trail riding.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I fortunately do have the option to purchase from a dealer … downside is that they are a good drive away and do not have much of a selection. Parking lot tests are not very helpful for assessing hill climbing capabilities. If I do run into problems it will be much easier to take care of going through the dealer. I hope you have a Bull’s dealer you can take your bike back to check out the motor noise … the belt tension mechanism may need adjustment. Thanks again and happy trails ….

FedEx is really rough on large packages and most of those boxes really can't handle more than one shipment. We've found that Fedex and UPS handle the boxes two Manu times and they always try to put them in places where they shouldn't.

We have custom boxes made so we can ship the bikes fully assembled and we have a short list of carriers that tend to take a bit more care with the freight. It's not easy or cheap, but it is possible to ship bikes in an effective and efficient way.

I can attest to Propel's method of shipment. I was there to greet the truck when it arrived and they had my bike box strapped securely in the back of the truck to the side of the truck. The box was marked as high dollar shipment or something like that. But it was in perfect condition. It was pretty obvious there had been no mishandling.

There your bikes so you would know the best how they perform. So any thoughts on what you think that squealing was? I have never experienced that climbing a 12%-15% so far.

I imagine that it's probably large amount of force being impart on the tensioner pulley by the belt under max load that it's causing the intermittent squeaking. This is just best guess by watching the animated Brose motor video of the belt routing.

Right now it's not effecting performance and I'd rather not void the warranty cracking the motor open.

I'd rather not void the warranty cracking the motor open.
If its easy to do, you might want to take advantage of that warranty while you can and get it diagnosed. Do you pay labor but not parts under you motor warranty?

Last edited:
If its easy to do so might want to take advantage of that warranty while you can and get it diagnosed. Do you pay labor but not parts under you motor warranty?

Yes, from what I was told, parts are covered under warranty, but not labor. Seems kind of strange to me but this is my first Bulls bike.

I have a bulls evo 29er fs, the brose motor started making a lot of noise after about 300 mile. and it seems no to cut the power as soon as it did when it was new, when at the higher power levels it can take 3-5 seconds before the motor stops after i stop pedaling. any one else having these problems

One of the biggest risks of buying online is the shipping. A single bike being shipped gets tossed around, dropped and dragged thru multiple warehouses and trucks compromising the cardboard box and anything in it including parts falling out and then box being taped back up.. I guarantee the damage done to your bike is a result of rough/normal handling from the multi stage shipping process. When parts are bent, tires are flat and chain is off..you got tossed. Better check for flat spots on those wheels and give the bike a good inspection. As a dealer buying in bulk, my bikes come in strapped to large pallets and have to be moved with a pallet jack minimizing any shipping damage. A "This End Up" sticker means nothing to these guys.
Truly said, although one buys a bike from a reliable manufacturer, the damage is most probably because shipping. So its better to opt for a shipping company rather than relying for the dealer's shipping assistance. My friend was also going to buy a bike and ship it through the dealers shipping agents. I asked him to have a look at this website. Its a relief that he found interesting stuff over here.

Dave i dont have the bulls lacuba but rode it at a shop, it ROCKS

Very cool bike, if i could get 3 inch tires on it would buy it right away!!

I am adamant about plus or fat tires on my bikes or it would have come home with me lol

I also test rode the Lacuba ; like it a lot . Very comfortable .
Vincent , I also prefer wider tires (but not fat) on a bike .
Which eBikes with wider , but not fat tires do you like ?

@RoadWrinkle, I noticed you're in Wailuku. I'm getting ready to order my first ebike (Voltbike or E-Glide) and having it shipped to Honolulu. I'm hoping for a better experience than yours since there's no middleman involved with my options. Like you, I tried the LBS route first, but the brands/models represented were either out of my price range or simply not what I was looking for. Both Voltbike and E-Glide are offering shipping to Hawaii for under $200. Everyone else acts as if Hawaii is on another planet.

Back