What's up with Surface 604?

revordar

What's up with Surface 604? Website down. No social media activity since last year. No response to messages. I wanted to order a Shred but they are out of stock and no communication

What's up with Surface 604? Website down. No social media activity since last year. No response to messages. I wanted to order a Shred but they are out of stock and no communication
Website works for me but it looks like they sold out of ALL their ebikes but they are getting a new batch in May. So without any ebikes to sell till May, they are probably running on a skeleton crew. JMHO. How they are paying their fixed bills in the meantime I don't know... Certainly not a high confidence from a business point of view...

I heard from John at Surface604. He said they would update the link on their facebook page. Hearing from him gives me confidence that all is well with Surface604.

I have been waiting six weeks for a display,surface 604 has been ignoring calls from the shop. Probably another start-up on its way out.

FWIW I was talking to a former dealer of Suface604 bikes (I own a Rook) in Lacey WA, and he has dropped their line because he heard from one of the co-founders that the guy left the company for "ethical reasons." It's his opinion that the beancounters have taken over and that they are trying to clear inventory and dump an inferior product on people before they close shop. I am sure this would be hard to verify, but I pass it along to others FYI. This dealer strikes me as very honest, a vet who does a lot of work with his church in the community, and whose prices at his repair shop are incredibly low. Given this thread, there seems to be a lot of smoke at the company.

Court? You recommended this product to your readers. Please address these issues with Surface 604.
@Court is not likely to reply directly to this thread, as he's a pretty busy guy, and I don't think monitors every forum. When he recommended this bike it had a lot of things going for it (torque sensor, hydraulic disc brakes) that made it a good buy. A dealer I would recommend you contact, who also has reviewed and recommended Surface 604 products in the past (and I think still stocks them), is Citrus Cycles in Ladysmith, BC Canada. Perhaps you might get some answers if you talk directly to a dealer who stocks them.

Is EBR loyalty with the reader or the bike manufactures? One of his picks has rumors you brought up of off selling a sub-par product. I've been waiting to buy a Shred based on Courts reviews.
The issue you bring up has major ethical questions.
Whoever moderates the forums should have Court address this.

Is EBR loyalty with the reader or the bike manufactures? One of his picks has rumors you brought up of off selling a sub-par product. I've been waiting to buy a Shred based on Courts reviews.
The issue you bring up has major ethical questions.
Whoever moderates the forums should have Court address this.
I agree. I think the EBR moderators need to bring this to @Court attention as his recommendation is on the line.

With due respect, in defense of Court, he is reviewing a product, not a company. In all fairness to @Court, he tries to give people some information on the company, and often we see him reviewing the bikes with the company CEO present, even going into their factories and warehouses. But when a company starts to have personal internal issues, I don't think there is much Court can do. That's not his focus. Whatever seems to be going on at Surface 604 is obviously pretty recent, and Court has not reviewed a 604 model since May 2018 (the Colt). He does mention in that review that his contact at 604 was Sam, who appears to have moved on based on a response above.

I passed along the information I had because I saw this thread and thought my conversation with a former 604 dealer might be of interest to forum readers. But it's hearsay; a conversation the truth of which I can't independently confirm. Whether or not you want to buy a 604 is completely your choice. I know I looked at three reviews of the Rook I own before I bought it (Court, Citrus Cycle in Ladysmith BC, and a range test by Blue Monkey Bicycle's Mike, who now appears to be doing reviews on EBR). Personally, I still like the bike, which I've had for a year now. What may or may not be happening with the company is not anything I have control over. Just last week I ordered a seat post clamp from their web site, and with the usual customs delays I received it in a little over a week, no issues (and it's actually a better, stronger clamp). If you're concerned about the status of the company, don't buy their bike - there are plenty others to choose from. Would I buy a 604 right now? Probably not. But I think it's unfair to Court to suggest his "recommendation is on the line." His recommendation of the actual product itself is probably still very valid at the time it was reviewed, but it's very unfair to expect him somehow to address recent internal company issues that may be affecting current shipments. For all we know, if Sam is gone, it may be that no one will speak to him or comment on it. Caveat emptor.

With due respect, in defense of Court, he is reviewing a product, not a company. In all fairness to @Court, he tries to give people some information on the company, and often we see him reviewing the bikes with the company CEO present, even going into their factories and warehouses. But when a company starts to have personal internal issues, I don't think there is much Court can do. That's not his focus. Whatever seems to be going on at Surface 604 is obviously pretty recent, and Court has not reviewed a 604 model since May 2018 (the Colt). He does mention in that review that his contact at 604 was Sam, who appears to have moved on based on a response above.

I passed along the information I had because I saw this thread and thought my conversation with a former 604 dealer might be of interest to forum readers. But it's hearsay; a conversation the truth of which I can't independently confirm. Whether or not you want to buy a 604 is completely your choice. I know I looked at three reviews of the Rook I own before I bought it (Court, Citrus Cycle in Ladysmith BC, and a range test by Blue Monkey Bicycle's Mike, who now appears to be doing reviews on EBR). Personally, I still like the bike, which I've had for a year now. What may or may not be happening with the company is not anything I have control over. Just last week I ordered a seat post clamp from their web site, and with the usual customs delays I received it in a little over a week, no issues (and it's actually a better, stronger clamp). If you're concerned about the status of the company, don't buy their bike - there are plenty others to choose from. Would I buy a 604 right now? Probably not. But I think it's unfair to Court to suggest his "recommendation is on the line." His recommendation of the actual product itself is probably still very valid at the time it was reviewed, but it's very unfair to expect him somehow to address recent internal company issues that may be affecting current shipments. For all we know, if Sam is gone, it may be that no one will speak to him or comment on it. Caveat emptor.
Sam has been gone since December. He sent me a personal email upon his departure. Sam landed at Biktrix, but who knows for how long.

Court produced a good review of the product, and also a flattering review at Surface 's HQ's when Sam was still there. He portrayed the situation accurately for that time period.

They have indicated that shipments from their factory are coming in (3), with the first one in, and most of, if not all, already shipped to customers and / or dealers, and 2nd due soon, if not already there, and 3rd coming end of May.

Lots of unfortunate assumptions and speculations are being made by many here, but I can assure you I have had multiple correspondences by email and phone with
John Dem who is their new GM, that would indicate most of everyone's fears are unfounded.

Yes, they are bound to lose a few dealers along the way, as their situation has made it difficult to get product shipped for the past 6 months, but they are shipping now. I would expect their shipments and product availability to be a bit volatile over the next 3 to 6 months, based on backlog of orders placed by both dealers and consumers.

P.s.
It's rather shallow, if not just plain petty, and certainly not productive to attempt to pin anything on Court. So how about let's grow up here, be respectful to Court and all that he brings to the market, and dispense with the accusations and speculations, especially since most are based on total hearsay, gossip, and rumor. And this is his website guys, right ? He doesn't owe any of us a thing.

Regarding the meaning of "his recommendation is on the line". It is not hard for @Court to reach out to Surface604 and find out what the situation is truly like and come out with a statement of fact that all is well or not so well, especially for those people who take his advice-recommendations on an ebike manufacturer.

Sam has been gone since December. He sent me a personal email upon his departure. Sam landed at Biktrix, but who knows for how long.

Court produced a good review of the product, and also a flattering review at Surface 's HQ's when Sam was still there. He portrayed the situation accurately for that time period.

They have indicated that shipments from their factory are coming in (3), with the first one in, and most of, if not all, already shipped to customers and / or dealers, and 2nd due soon, if not already there, and 3rd coming end of May.

Lots of unfortunate assumptions and speculations are being made by many here, but I can assure you I have had multiple correspondences by email and phone with
John Dem who is their new GM, that would indicate most of everyone's fears are unfounded.

Yes, they are bound to lose a few dealers along the way, as their situation has made it difficult to get product shipped for the past 6 months, but they are shipping now. I would expect their shipments and product availability to be a bit volatile over the next 3 to 6 months, based on backlog of orders placed by both dealers and consumers.

It's rather shallow, if not just plain petty, and certainly not productive to attempt to pin anything on Court. So how about let's grow up here, be respectful to Court and all that he brings to the market, and dispense with the accusations and speculations, especially since most are based on total hearsay, gossip, and rumor. And this is his website guys, right ? He doesn't owe any of us a thing.

I agree with everything you said. I guess what I am asking for is Court to help us out and look into the situation at Surface604. Kewl?

Last edited:
Update. 3 of the 4 ebikes received had the same product defects that were occurring last year. Shipped those 3 back. Cancelled Shred order. It doesn't appear S604 is inspecting any product before shipping. By all indications these ebikes were built last year. Also, they continue to come from China, not Taiwan, as they had led me to believe from Nov of last year until May of this year. Thus also had to pay tariffs, which was not refunded. Hard to discern what is happening at this company. For now, not buying more.
Could you elaborate on what the "same product defects" are? I searched this thread for more details from you, but didn't see any.

Hi all. My first post since joining. Just bought a M/L Colt from surface604.com. It shipped a week after ordering and I got it 3 days later (FAST shipping! no tariff due on delivery). It must have been one of the last ones they had in stock because their site now says they are SOLD OUT. I've only taken it out a couple times on very short trips, mainly to get the adjustments right (I am 6'5" tall) and figuring out what assist levels are good for what grades. Feels pretty good.

Upon delivery, the box was a tiny bit tattered and quite a few of the staples were open, giving me the impression it may have been dropped. Opening the box, there were parts loose inside it, including the handlebar neck rings. I had to contact Surface 604 by email to find out the proper order to stack them. Gordon was extremely responsive and gave me a photo to confirm the parts I meant and told me the correct order. Everything else was fine regarding packaging. Assembly wasn't a breeze, but it wasn't that bad either. I think Gordon is Sam's replacement.

The one thing I was a bit miffed about is that my credit card was charged immediately after ordering, before the bike was shipped. That's not the norm for online ordering. And at first I couldn't contact Surface 604 at all (a week of no contact...I was concerned); not by email or by phone. That's when I headed to this forum and read about the recent factory relocation and staff turnover. Hey, this kind of thing happens and there's always recovery time. Gordon has been pretty responsive since I ordered. I like the bike so much I pre-ordered a Rook in white for my wife, which won't ship until August. And yup, they already charged my card.

That's my initial impression and observations of this company and one of its products. Overall I am obviously happy or I wouldn't have ordered a second one. :)

Last edited:
I recently ordered a Rook for my wife through a dealer in SoCal who received one from Surface604. Unfortunately the fender was a bit scuffed and the frame was dinged a bit. Not too bad but I was. A bit annoyed. Gordon was nice enough to ship the missing end caps for my fenders, which should arrive within a week or so.

Overall though, the bike is great and my wife loves it. Looking forward to my Colt in August when the next batch ships.

Attachments

• 0F22DB54-3A99-4877-AFE1-5D578DAB2025.jpeg
    0F22DB54-3A99-4877-AFE1-5D578DAB2025.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 546
Back