What's Up with Carbon Frame E-MTBs?

PaulGee

I noticed more manufacturers offering carbon eMTBs in the past couple years. Bulls and Specialized for example. One pays a premium for these bikes compared to their aluminum counterparts. Besides the seemingly insignificant reduction in weight and perhaps increased esthetics (cool factor), is there any performance or durability benefit offered by these bikes? With exception of the hardcore MTBers with money to burn, IMO I really can't see a significant advantage or market for them. What's your opinion? What do you think is driving this niche segment of the market?

No point, at all. Other than separating people from their money.. obviously. Same goes for high end drive train components, you don't need the weight reduction on an ebike.

EDIT, well thinking about it a little more less weight does mean better handling for downhill mountain bikers so I suppose there may be something niche there like you suggest.. Shimano really focused on making their new motor and battery combo as light as possible as well.

Last edited:
My opinion, there is always a market for quality, and also where cost has no meaning. I've never ridden a carbon fiber, but they can fine tune the performance of the entire frame with it. From flexibility where it would benefit, to rigidity at the high stress areas. Hydro formed aluminum can come close to this, but not to the same precision. You also didn't mention that there is a group of people making a living on a mtb now. Any weight savings and frame performance improvements could put more money in the bank for these folks.

You also didn't mention that there is a group of people making a living on a mtb now. Any weight savings and frame performance improvements could put more money in the bank for these folks.

Those are MTBers though, not eMTBers. I never disputed the benefits of Carbon on regular MTB's. But you bring up some fair points, and eMTB competition might end up becoming a thing, but MTBers really seem to hate eMTB's.

I agree .... The bottom line is that there will always be a market for quality. The question then becomes does the carbon frame represent a significant uptick in quality and thus a better ride experience for the average buyer of carbon e-MTBs to justify the cost? My gut feeling is, having only ridden aluminum and carbon regular road bikes, that it will be difficult for other than the most avid and experienced MTBer to notice any improvement due to frame stiffness. Perhaps our friends across the pond could share their insights on this thread where eMTBs have been around longer and gained wider acceptance on the trails.

Those are MTBers though, not eMTBers. I never disputed the benefits of Carbon on regular MTB's. But you bring up some fair points, and eMTB competition might end up becoming a thing, but MTBers really seem to hate eMTB's.

There are e-MTB races now too. E-MTB is the future, we better get use to it. Think of E-motors as the modern day multi gear of the past.

There are e-MTB races now too. E-MTB is the future, we better get use to it. Think of E-motors as the modern day multi gear of the past.

I'm all about ebikes, especially for commuting. But I have a hard time taking those eMTB races serious. What's next, tour de france on ebikes? Actually nevermind, probably will come to that.. your right.

If something has a motor and wheels and there are more than two of them racing will occur.

However races restricted to the industry mandated Class 1 bikes to me is like watching paint dry. Wake me when they have at least an open class.

A couple of observations...

The first is that weight matters. In one sense it might matter less on an electric bike, but more weight pretty directly translates into less range. Which you will care about a great deal on an electric bike. While shaving grams on a 25kg bike might not make that big a difference, shaving a kg or two would be a huge deal. There is still furious debate in the cycling world about carbon fiber components and whether they are worth it.

My other thought is that I like the feel of steel-framed bike. Aluminum and carbon-frame bikes flex differently. For me it is most noticeable if you are going on a fast downhill, although (and perhaps paradoxically) it is also noticeable if you are standing up and pedaling up a steep hill. Many others don't seem to notice but that is my $.02.

Back