What's the best saddle for long rides?

username00101

Region
USA
I have a Cloud 9 and a Thudbuster LT seatpost and it's literally painful to peddle. When I got rid of the cloud 9 and got rid of the lt seatpost and dropped it way down, at least I could peddle. But my leg's dont extend.

So I think the Cloud 9 might be the problem, because literally every photograph I see has the seatpost not dropped down, and it's popped up, so as to be sort of moderately below the handlebars.

Any suggestions on a quality leather, or something else long distance saddle that won't hurt when I try to peddle?

Unfortunately all tushies are a bit different, one man's Power Lift Recliner is another mans Bar Stool. I would try to pinpoint what it is about the cloud 9 that is causing you pain, then avoid any other seats with that design.

I have a Cloud 9 and a Thudbuster LT seatpost and it's literally painful to peddle. When I got rid of the cloud 9 and got rid of the lt seatpost and dropped it way down, at least I could peddle. But my leg's dont extend.

So I think the Cloud 9 might be the problem, because literally every photograph I see has the seatpost not dropped down, and it's popped up, so as to be sort of moderately below the handlebars.

Any suggestions on a quality leather, or something else long distance saddle that won't hurt when I try to peddle?
Have you looked into proper setup? Angle and height of the seat is critical. If those are wrong, there's no saving you.

Height of other people's seat post not relevant to what yours should be.

Seats are a funny thing. A big plush beach cruiser seat doesn't work on a forward lean bike, and a skinny seat stinks on most upright bikes. On my beach cruiser I've had great luck with Sella Royal seats from Wally World. My old Cero had a little Ergon brand seat and it was shockingly comfortable. And to think when I was a kid I rode a Kashimax Aero or a Dominator seat with a thin Cycle Pro cover.

What I've found is that when I drop the seat all the way down, it's more comfortable for me. I tend to ride upright like Merry Poppins, not leaning over.

I may return the thudbuster because it puts me too high to accomplish any comfort due to the 4 inches or so of suspension zone.

Is there another suspension seatpost that doesn't have 4 inches of forced rising space?

My wife is 5'. with the seat all the way down on her IGO Outland-Royal it still seems a bit of a stretch for her. I could possibly replace the OEM shock-absorbing seat post to gain another 2" however she would likely complain about the ride. Would a higher end seat (eg cloud-nine) and a non-suspension seat post give the same level of shock absorption as the stock post and saddle? Any relevant experience out there?

I strongly recommend this seat.

I don’t own an ebike yet, but I bought a seat advertised for ebikes.
( A medical condition necessitated I stop riding - until I put this ”ebike” seat on my Trek FX errand bike.
The condition is no longer aggravated.)

For women “of a certain age” whose ebike is more a road style, I highly recommend this other seat.

I replaced the more common Selle Italia diva, and now I am able to resume riding my (non ebike) carbon road bike out in our beautiful hills. The wider gap makes a huge difference. No chafing.

I had tried many different saddles over the years and this one works well for me on extended rides:

Thanks for that link. I liked the look so thought I would try one. It arrived the other day and I gave it a 20 mile test ride today. This is my 5th saddle including the one that came on the bike. The previous was a Dalway which liked just fine but this one is better. They are both pretty much the same size. This one has softer foam and I do like the slightly raised rear section. This one doesn't have a "fart release" hole in the middle like the Dalway but I don't think that will bother me much.

Thanks for that link. I liked the look so thought I would try one. It arrived the other day and I gave it a 20 mile test ride today. This is my 5th saddle including the one that came on the bike. The previous was a Dalway which liked just fine but this one is better. They are both pretty much the same size. This one has softer foam and I do like the slightly raised rear section. This one doesn't have a "fart release" hole in the middle like the Dalway but I don't think that will bother me much.
May I ask if you are male or female. It apparently makes a difference in what works best.

I like this one: 🙃

s1600_6BC6A3FD_671F_4D55_857D_3E9A9A7CA072.jpg

Seriously though, the most comfortable seat is a very personal thing. What works best for some won't for all. The number of suspension seat posts and saddle combinations is almost infinite. I've been riding most of my life and I'm still searching for that perfect match.

Trial and error is the best approach but it can get expensive over time. As previously stated, getting a professional fitting at an LBS can also be a big help. Many shops will let you try a saddle before buying. I've lost count of the number of saddles I've tried over the years. Lately, I've been ordering from Amazon and returning the ones that don't work out using their free return policy.

In any case, I wish you well with your search.

May I ask if you are male or female. It apparently makes a difference in what works best.
I'm male but if you check the link it say's. "For Men & Women. Sizes and shapes for asses may vary but they are basically the same overall.

Seriously though, the most comfortable seat is a very personal thing. What works best for some won't for all. The number of suspension seat posts and saddle combinations is almost infinite. I've been riding most of my life and I'm still searching for that perfect match.

In any case, I wish you well with your search.
These "BEST" threads border on silly. Most think their choice is best but there are just too many variables. The best tactic is to sort which manufacturers have a sold quality build and try a couple. I tried a couple via Amazon and was very careful trialing and was able to return. So far Cloud 9, spring-loaded Brookes models, and Selle Respiro, all the widest seats they sell are the most comfortable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 11.14.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 11.14.03 AM.png
    95.8 KB · Views: 128
  • selleroyal-ellipse-relaxed-3-4-city-bike-saddle-comfort-man-woman.png
    selleroyal-ellipse-relaxed-3-4-city-bike-saddle-comfort-man-woman.png
    391.2 KB · Views: 129
  • brookes.jpeg
    brookes.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I had a Selle Respiro and it was one of the most uncomfortable saddles I have ever owned. Like little bricks directly under my sit bones. But that doesn't make it a bad saddle. It was just bad for me. Individual anatomy plays a critical part in how a saddle works or doesn't work.

If you are pedaling, conventional wisdom follows what @fooferdoggie said: Narrower is better to avoid your thighs rubbing on - and pressing down into - the saddle at every pedal stroke. But another critical component is sit-bone width, which affects the width of the saddle towards the back when tailoring the size.

I'm using the Ergon Core Prime saddles. They are narrow for pedaling, but wider than a road bike/racing saddle... but not Grandma's-sofa-wide like a Cloud 9. Multiple layers provide really good cushioning without any hot spots. Male and female versions along with medium and large sit bone fitment widths.

But whether they are best for the next person who tries them is anyone's guess. There is no such thing as a best saddle for any purpose outside of what is best for the person sitting on it.

Back