What would you do? New potential ebike owner.

MTVlobster

I'd like to purchase an ebike very soon, but d don't have any experience with them. Noob.

Here are the ones I have narrowed it down to, but would like to ask for opinions, or if you have any of these bikes, would you recommend? I'm pushing towards the 750W motors for that extra oompf, but if it isn't necessary, I could do a 500W. Guess I'm looking for best bang for my buck, but also don't want to have issues all the time either.

Sondors Fold XS:

Rize Mini 2020:

Eahora X7+:

Maxfoot MF-19:

2020 Synergy Kahuna:

RadMini 4:

I appreciate your input. Thanks!

I'd like to purchase an ebike very soon, but d don't have any experience with them. Noob.

Here are the ones I have narrowed it down to, but would like to ask for opinions, or if you have any of these bikes, would you recommend? I'm pushing towards the 750W motors for that extra oompf, but if it isn't necessary, I could do a 500W. Guess I'm looking for best bang for my buck, but also don't want to have issues all the time either.

Sondors Fold XS:

Rize Mini 2020:

Eahora X7+:

Maxfoot MF-19:

2020 Synergy Kahuna:

RadMini 4:

I own the RadMini step thru 2 and really love it! It’s a smooth ride with the not-so-agressive tires and handles streets and light trails with ease. The problem is steep hills. I’m 71 and 150lbs and it takes everything I’ve got to get up the hills here in Western North Carolina. If you have small hillS and/or Superman legs, you might not have a problem. Good luck!

Sondors Fold XS:

Rize Mini 2020:

Eahora X7+:

Maxfoot MF-19:

2020 Synergy Kahuna:

RadMini 4:

I don't want to be a wet blanket here, but there are already very informative threads on these bikes already listed. Not too hard to find them. It will be faster than waiting for responses here, just takes a little work on your part. ;) I would definitely steer toward the 750. Better to have the power and not need it than need it and not have it.

I'm just going to say that not all hub drives are created equal. There's a very significant difference between 2 different types. The short story is that all else being equal, geared hubs are much better at hills and offer sportier performance. Direct drive hubs do well in areas without hills, and in situations with less stop and go.

Point being, buyers should be clear on which type might suit their purposes better, or, if asking for advice/help, which one they are talking about.

Putting the cart before the horse here. Without knowing anything about the OP (age, fitness level, experience, mechanical ability, what kind of riding and where) it is impossible to offer any meaningful, personal advice about what bike might be best. All that can be offered is basically, "buy a bike like mine to confirm my bias" or very general comments.

Not knowing anything about @MTVlobster, the best advice I can give will be more general in nature.

Visit as many local bike shops as you can. For me than meant a 90 mile drive down to Seattle and the whole day test riding bikes at three different shops. Then a bunch of reading reviews on bikes that felt good to me, mostly on this website, watching the video review too. Then another trip to Seattle to narrow down the list.

The most common comment I have heard from new ebike owners is almost always something like: "I never imagined I would be riding a bike this often or this far" Buying a cheap mass produced bike may or may not give you the same quality of "whoopee!!" experience that boosts you right into an enthusiastic embrace of ebiking. All too often people who buy lesser bikes seem to arrive at regrets sooner because the bike's inherent limitations just never quite enabled it to do what they want. Personally I ended up spending way more than I initially thought I would or should. Given how much time I spend on my bike, something I never could have imagined, I am glad I spent what I did and got a bike I can count on, that enhances my enjoyment every time I ride it. Better to buy one more expensive bike that will really do the job. If you start with a lesser bike, you might just end up with the better bike anyway but added to the cost will be that of the first bike.

I realize that budgetary constraints are more of a reality for most, so you may just have to start out with a lower quality bike.

The best thing you can do is be as precise as you can about how often and under what conditions you think you are going to ride. This will help a knowledgeable dealer guide you to a bike that will serve you best.

Add a grain of salt to the advice you get here. Some of it can be quite good and well informed but there are occasionally shills hiding in the corners, promoting their new brand. And then there is the fact that individuals riders often exhibit confirmation bias in their comments. Do it your self/retrofit guys can't imagine why someone would spend good money on a manufactured from the ground up ebike. Fans of low priced, Chinese made, hub motor bikes would not be caught dead on center drive bikes. Fans of German made equipment really don;t hardly bother looking at bikes from other countries. Some people will never even look at a bike without a throttle, while other would never have a bike with one.

Oh, and do use the search function on this forum. There is a wealth of information here with many questions already asked and answered in great detail.

So with all that, get after it and do not delay. Spring is here. Times awasting.

What @Alaskan said. Multiplied by about a million billion.

I can't overemphasize that you should test-ride as many different e-bikes as you possibly can before making a purchase. That will tell you more about what this thing is about than any amount of reading. Although keep in mind that certain brands are wildly over-represented in e-bike rentals while other brands and types that might work great for you are scarce on the ground. So I recommend both renting a few e-bikes and doing test rides at shops. Yes, yes, I know that will be enormously challenging during the COVID but you gotta figure out how to do that -- you probably wouldn't buy a jacket for $300 without trying it on for size, and nobody in their right mind would buy a car without a test ride first. You are talking about a new member of your family here.

You seem to be focusing on folders for your bike choice. There are three things to consider: one is that all folders are quite a bit heavier than a non-folding bike, another is that folders generally have frames that bend or flex in sometimes unnatural and disturbing ways, and finally that not all folders are created equal -- some (e.g. Brompton) are quick and easy to fold and unfold, while others (e.g. Bike Friday) are much more difficult to fold and unfold but are generally much stronger.

So good luck and have fun out there.

I gave you my two cents about your selections in another thread, but I would be curious to know why you are looking only at folding bikes. Do you have some space limitation?

Here are the ones I have narrowed it down to, but would like to ask for opinions, or if you have any of these bikes, would you recommend?
I'm pushing towards the 750W motors for that extra oompf, but if it isn't necessary, I could do a 500W.
Guess I'm looking for best bang for my buck, but also don't want to have issues all the time either.

If you are committed to a folding EBike, then take a look at some mid-drive models designed for climbing hills.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...icycles/ebikes-electric-folding-bikes-ef3.htm

1590340991923.png
1590341004366.png

What drew me to conversion kits was taking a frame I really liked and converting it. Perfect fit.

What a frustrating waste of time. The OP can't be bothered to provide any more info. People go to the effort of responding and the OP is awol. How do we spot guys like this so we can avoid wasted effort and time?

What else do you want me to tell you, I appreciate everyone's input, but I can't tell people much more. I'm still looking, not sure when I'm going to pull the trigger. If you think I'm wasting your time, why are you still responding? I'm glad I got a bunch of input from everyone, and it had been very helpful.

I like the look of the folders, I do have limited space, so that would help. This is a great resource for getting info and I'm glad I found this sure and the forums.

What else do you want me to tell you, I appreciate everyone's input, but I can't tell people much more. I'm still looking, not sure when I'm going to pull the trigger. If you think I'm wasting your time, why are you still responding? I'm glad I got a bunch of input from everyone, and it had been very helpful.

I like the look of the folders, I do have limited space, so that would help. This is a great resource for getting info and I'm glad I found this sure and the forums.

I don't need any thanks but really, quite a few people chimed in to help and you went silent. Most polite people acknowledge the help that others offer when they ask for it.

You asked for advice without any particulars about yourself. Toward the beginning of my reply, I put up a list of variables that would help someone who is knowledgeable make more tailored recommendations. It is not just about the gear but who the gear works for and who it does not. You would get far more meaningful guidance if you engaged in some dialog here.

Alaskan, sorry if I was being rude, I was giving the thumbs up to many posts, and honestly I am just taking it all in. I'll give a quick thanks as people post if you feel that's necessary. Thank you!

Alaskan, sorry if I was being rude, I was giving the thumbs up to many posts, and honestly I am just taking it all in. I'll give a quick thanks as people post if you feel that's necessary. Thank you!

No problems and thank you. I was kind of waiting to learn more about you before offering any more advice.

There are so many different types of riders (age, fitness, mechanical ability,budget) and many different uses (recreation,exercise, commuting, touring, mountain) and so many different bikes. Matching rider with bike really does require more info.

I mean really, what would you think of a doctor who wrote you a prescription without an exam or asking a single question?

Unfortunately fellow posters tend to suggest their choices are good for others. Fit and geometry that suits you is the logical choice. These direct to customer choices are often times poor choices. I’m in the the users that suggest making a choice with an LBS is the wisest selection. Unless you want to be your own support.

Alaskan, sorry if I was being rude, I was giving the thumbs up to many posts, and honestly, I am just taking it all in. I'll give a quick thanks as people post if you feel that's necessary. Thank you!

Let us know more about your specific requirements regarding the type of riding, type of bike, length of trips, etc... and we can help you narrow down your choices.

You are so correct! I’m fighting with Rad about this right now!

There should be no fight. Let's be generous and say they made a mistake. Fair enough. But if that is the case they should immediately offer fair and adequate compensation, lest you decide to bring a class action suit against them (which they would lose and suffer heavy losses). But let's not get ahead of ourselves. The company is run by a very bright young man, who I'm sure just wants this to go away. All he has to do is issue a public statement apologizing to all his customers who have been affect by this mistake and agree to make them whole (in whatever way Rad deems fit). He will then become a hero in the eyes of all. Will Rad take a hit? Yes. But that's business. If he chooses to ignore his customers and just one decides to take him to court, this will become a bigger mess than he could ever have imagined. Hey, Rad, do the right thing and turn a serious problem into a golden opportunity. People with the e-bike passion talk to each other...a lot. Just my 2 cents. I wish everyone the best.

Back